oscargoldman

Raspberry Pi 4 VPN Hotspot possible

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi, I've found quite a few tutorials that seem to represent different parts of the puzzle I'm trying to solve, but nothing has worked so far in combining these pieces. So I'm looking first for confirmation that what I'm trying to do is possible. I'd like my Pi to be connected to my router via ethernet, run open VPN or windscribe (I have a pro lifetime account), and have the wifi adapter be a hotspot that goes through the VPN and out (I live in central america and am trying to get around the typical geolocate restrictions). Is this possible with the Pi 4? Thanks for any help or advice.

audetto

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 VPN Hotspot possible

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:06 pm

I want to do exactly the same.
So, after reading I think

1) set up the openvpn client
2) this should create a new (virtual) interface
3) follow https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md
4) change eth0 in
sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
to use the new interface

Untested, unverified, probably wrong.

logcabin

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:23 pm

I use a cheap access point I got used on Ebay. The access point is connected to the router, and the Pi is also connected to the router. The Pi runs a VPN client and the Squid proxy server.

Then I configure the system with the wifi client to connect to the access point, and the browser (firefox) to use the Squid proxy server. Now all your browser traffic will go through the Pi and the VPN connection.

audetto

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:22 pm

If you are happy to use a proxy and to configure each browser you dont need an access point, just a pi connected to your local network (ethernet or wifi).

The advantage of the VPT + Access Point is that no extra configuration is required.
Any device connected to the pi AP will go via the vpn regardless.

This might be a key feature if you have devices which you cannot configure (e.g. a chromecast).

logcabin

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:15 pm

Yup, no access point needed with wifi router (my router is actually just a firewall). If your router supports openVPN, you can also dispense with putting it on the Pi. If your router doesn't, you may be able to reflash it with Tomato or dd-wrt. I did this for a while before switching to the Pi.

Return to “Advanced users”