blachner

Which USB M2 Adapter for Raspberry Pi?

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Which USB M2 Adapter works best with Raspbery PI? Especially with booting from the SSD?

I read different statements in the forum which chipset would work at the best with the Raspberry: JMICRON JMS578 or ASM1153E?

Maybe someone has experience with the following adapters and can recommend one:

JMICRON JMS578:
https://www.amazon.de/CSL-Festplattenge ... 53DZ4M0C1W

ASM1153E:

fruitoftheloom

Re: Which USB M2 Adapter for Raspberry Pi?

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:50 am

blachner wrote:
Which USB M2 Adapter works best with Raspbery PI? Especially with booting from the SSD?

I read different statements in the forum which chipset would work at the best with the Raspberry: JMICRON JMS578 or ASM1153E?

JMICRON JMS578:

ASM1153E:

FYI only some models of RPi supports USB MSD Boot:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md
Retired disgracefully.....

LTolledo

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:48 am

been using this since last year....
PiTopRPi3BmSATAboot.jpg
PiTopRPi3BmSATAboot.jpg (168.35 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

thagrol

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:00 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:50 am
blachner wrote:

JMICRON JMS578:

ASM1153E:

FYI only some models of RPi supports USB MSD Boot:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md
Yeah, but you can get close on the others:
  • Use a FAT formatted SD card containing just the latest bootcode.bin. Should work on everything except a 4B (The 4B doesn't use bootcode.bin)
  • /boot on SD card with root on your USB storage device. Forum user RonR has relased some tools to help with that.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:18 pm

Note that both of the chips mentioned in the original post are for SATA SSDs, if you have a NVME SSD you will need a different (and rarer/more expensive) chip.

jerrm

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:48 pm

For USB2 on something less that a Pi 4 it probably doesn't matter.

For Pi4 USB3, the asm chip will probably support UAS and have the edge on performance - but it can be firmware dependent.

Plugwash's comment on nvme is a good one, those are USB3 to SATA m2 adapters and will not work with nvme SSDs. Nvme won't have any benefit for a Pi, USB3 will be the bottleneck, just be sure everything is compatible.

blachner

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:43 pm

Thanks for the answers.

I want to run the SSD on a Pi 3B+, which can boot from USB in principle.

I know that the adapters only support SATA SSDs. But that's no problem, I want to use a WD Green SSD 120 GB, which offers SATA and is quite cheap. The reason for using a SSD is also not the speed. I want to use it, because of the better durability compared to an SD card.

So it seems that both adapters should work with the Raspberry. Both seem to offer similar features. The description on Amazon lists UASP support for both. So I'll just order one. When it arrives, I will write here how it works.

jerrm

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:50 pm

blachner wrote:
The description on Amazon lists UASP support for both.
That is meaningless WRT the Pi.

On a Pi3 it doesn't really matter, but I'd probably order the asmedia based adapter. Better odds of functional uas support if you ever swap out to a Pi4.

HawaiianPi

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:49 pm

blachner wrote:

I'm afraid it's not that simple. I have multiple adapters with both of those chipsets, and examples that work and don't work. It's a combination of the chipset, firmware, and the SSD in use. For instance, I have one adapter that works with 4 other brands of SSD but doesn't like my Samsung SSDs, while another adapter with the same chipset works fine with Samsung.

There are even differences in the bootloader between the 3B and 3B+ models that affect the outcome (might work on one but not the other).

And finally, some cheap USB enclosures and adapter cables will change over time. You might buy one this week that works great, and purchase another one a few months from now that no longer works as desired. Which means that recommendations from others with the same adapter are helpful, but not a 100% guarantee.

So in the end it comes down to trial and error.

Sorry, I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but I have done a lot of testing with different adapters and a wide variety of drives, and there really isn't a simple answer. If you do get an adapter that doesn't work for you, using a bootcode.bin SD card will likely resolve your issues on the Pi3 models (but not the Pi4, since it doesn't use bootcode.bin). If you absolutely must have USB boot with no SD card, then understand that you might have to purchase and test multiple adapters.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

logcabin

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:17 pm

blachner wrote:
Thanks for the answers.

I want to run the SSD on a Pi 3B+, which can boot from USB in principle.

I know that the adapters only support SATA SSDs. But that's no problem, I want to use a WD Green SSD 120 GB, which offers SATA and is quite cheap. The reason for using a SSD is also not the speed. I want to use it, because of the better durability compared to an SD card.

So it seems that both adapters should work with the Raspberry. Both seem to offer similar features. The description on Amazon lists UASP support for both. So I'll just order one. When it arrives, I will write here how it works.
This reply is going through a 3B+ which boots and runs from an ancient Intel SSD. FWIW, here's the info on the interface:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc. Name: ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge, ASM1153E SATA 6Gb/s bridge

blachner

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:46 pm

I bought the JMICRON JMS578 variant.

Even it is unknown to lsusb which only shows:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID ab12:34cd

it seems to work without problems. I tested it on Raspberry Pi 3B and Pi 3B+. I installed a openHabian system and it booted without problems without a SD card.

Return to “Advanced users”