GrahamBriggs

Use RPi 3 internal bluetooth simultaneous with BT dongle.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:54 am

Does anyone have a recipe to setup a RPi 3 to use internal bluetooth simultaneously with a USB bluetooth dongle.

I am trying to build a long range bluetooth radio bridge. I have a class 1 USB bluetooth dongle with an external antenna that will get a couple of hundred metres to the remote device which also has class 1 BT TX/RX.

I want to build a gadget that:

> Using RPi built in bluetooth, connect to a local device close by
> Using the long range USB bluetooth stick, connect using different bluetooth channel to the remote device.
> Write an app that reads local => write to USB and reads USB => write to local. (pass through bridge)

I have succeeded in getting RPi built in bluetooth to connect using serial port service to the local device. I have some sample code in C++ that is reading the bytes from the built in RPi bluetooth.

I am struggling to get USB bluetooth adapter configured and setup as serial port or other data stream that I can read in my program.

If anyone has can share insight on how to configure USB bluetooth dongle to work simultaneously with built in bluetooth this would be helpful.

Thanks

Douglas6

Re: Use RPi 3 internal bluetooth simultaneous with BT dongle.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:00 pm

A USB Bluetooth dongle will typically be named 'hci0' and the internal adapter named 'hci1'. Use the names to create separate virtual serial devices. E.g:

Code: Select all

sudo rfcomm watch 0
and

Code: Select all

sudo rfcomm connect 1 <bdaddr>
I think. Never tried it.

Return to “Advanced users”