timg236
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi4 EEPROM update package - beta

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:51 am

CypherOz wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:08 am
The 2019-09-10 - Git f626c772 - pieeprom-2019-09-10.bin is now in the production 'critical' sudo apt update I did today (not beta)
Yep, 2019-09-10 with the SDRAM power savings is now the default version and a critical update. I was waiting for the APT servers to be updated before posting. Thanks to everyone who has tried this and posted feedback.

N.b The Buster full download will also contain rpi-eeprom by default + 2019-09-10 EEPROM because of the wake on gpio change for HALT + SDRAM power savings. New features (e.g. network boot) will probably in beta for an extended period of time.

Mikael

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:57 pm

timg236 wrote:
Yep, 2019-09-10 with the SDRAM power savings is now the default version and a critical update.
I don't have a power meter to measure the difference. Can you give us an estimate on how much this lowers the power consumption?

LTolledo

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:18 pm

@tim236

maybe a silly question but I'd like to know if the EEPROM update will address the GPIO22 startup status.
the GPIO22 is used to start my DAC-Amp using

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=gpio-poweroff,gpiopin=22,active_low
at the moment (using factory default EEPROM), the DAC turns on immediately after power ON ("thump" sound on speakers)
this is not the case with RPI3B+ or earlier models, I get quiet startup (no "thump" sound)

if the update does/can address this will try it
if not may have to think of ingenious way to do it for the mean time...
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

timg236

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:27 am

LTolledo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:18 pm
@tim236

maybe a silly question but I'd like to know if the EEPROM update will address the GPIO22 startup status.
the GPIO22 is used to start my DAC-Amp using

at the moment (using factory default EEPROM), the DAC turns on immediately after power ON ("thump" sound on speakers)
this is not the case with RPI3B+ or earlier models, I get quiet startup (no "thump" sound)

if the update does/can address this will try it
if not may have to think of ingenious way to do it for the mean time...
By default the bootloader doesn’t touch GPIO config at boot up so gpio22 will be input. On 2711 the hardware resets pull-up state after a reset which is different to previous models. You can get the bootloader to set gpio configuration via the eeprom config using normal config txt values.
Is it possible that what you are hearing is the result of 3V3 coming up after 5V which is a characteristic of the pmic on Pi4 ?

LTolledo

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:30 am

timg236 wrote: Is it possible that what you are hearing is the result of 3V3 coming up after 5V which is a characteristic of the pmic on Pi4 ?
Hi tim236! Thanks for replying! :D

I'd really like to investigate this further but I dont have a multichannel oscilloscope to check the power up state of GPIO22 compared to the 5v and other power pins. :(

in my 2 setups, RP3B+ and RPi4B-4G, both with X400 v3.0 (even tried interchanging both X400 v3.0 between the two RPis), only the RPi4B produces the "thump sound" during power ON, whereas in the RPi3B+ there is none.

also in the RPi4B, I noticed that if I enable

though I do have audio output from the speakers, the RPi4B does not "shutdown" properly, (using GUI, or CLI poweroff, or CLI shutdown now, HDMI monitor's power ON indicator remains ON), so I have to turn OFF the RPi on the AC power side.
Reboot commands function properly though

if I disable.... the Amp side of the DAC is disabled so I dont have audio output from the speakers (DAC functional, as confirmed by my VU meters connected to the DAC-Amp's RCA jacks)
and the RPi shuts down properly (HDMI monitor's power ON indicator turns OFF).
Reboot commands also function properly

the above 2 conditions for the shutdown process are not present on the RPi3B+

if there is a discussion on this matter on a another topic, appreciate the link
if this were to be forked as a separate topic, please do... :D

in the mean time... I'll continue enjoying it with the current state... until a solution (interim or permanent) is available...

thanks again for your time!

Some people be like:

fanoush

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:15 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:30 am
if I enable

...., the RPi4B does not "shutdown" properly, (using GUI, or CLI poweroff, or CLI shutdown now, HDMI monitor's power ON indicator remains ON), so I have to turn OFF the RPi on the AC power side.
I always thought this is on purpose and working as designed because this feature is intended to signal to something else that the machine is ready for poweroff. If it would turn off itself then the signal state on the pin could be lost. And it is easiest to just wait in a loop when everything is stopped until power is cut by something else.

LTolledo

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:42 am

fanoush wrote: I always thought this is on purpose and working as designed because this feature is intended to signal to something else that the machine is ready for poweroff....
Come to think of it I think you're correct on this.... I may have confused it with other setups that does not have it enabled.

hmmm.... and yep, the RPi4B is so fast that Raspbian Buster does not display the shutdown text that I normally see on the RPi3B+ and earlier models, making me believe the RPi4B has "hung"....

Some people be like:

timg236

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:12 am

Mikael wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:57 pm
timg236 wrote:
Yep, 2019-09-10 with the SDRAM power savings is now the default version and a critical update.
I don't have a power meter to measure the difference. Can you give us an estimate on how much this lowers the power consumption?
It should be approximately 150 milliwatts at idle with a typical single screen HD monitor configuration.

Return to “Advanced users”