aimc

berryboot question

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:42 pm

Hello,
Let's suppose i have a 32 GB SD card, and i install raspbian-lite , raspbian-with-desktop , arch-linux, and a LibreELEC .
How much space is created for those OSs?
is the space shared between them?

I have another question,
will a "raspbian OS installed with berryboot" perform equal (in terms of speed, RAM used, etc) when compared with same raspbian but installed to SD card directly ?

W. H. Heydt

Re: berryboot question

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:50 pm

NOOBS will share the card space equally with each image that is installed. It will also reserve enough space to hold a compressed image of the OSes so that it can restore one or more if needed.

It shouldn't matter whether you use an installer system (NOOBS or Berryboot) or just directly install the OS image. Once the Pi has booted, it's all up to the OS.

incognitum

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:30 pm

aimc wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:42 pm
is the space shared between them?
Yes.

will a "raspbian OS installed with berryboot" perform equal (in terms of speed, RAM used, etc) when compared with same raspbian but installed to SD card directly ?
Similar.
WIth Berryboot compression is used on the operating system files, which may or may not be faster.
Last edited by incognitum on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

incognitum

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:42 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:50 pm
It shouldn't matter whether you use an installer system (NOOBS or Berryboot) or just directly install the OS image. Once the Pi has booted, it's all up to the OS.
Not exactly.

Berryboot is not purely an installer system.
It also tells Linux distributions to share a single partition with each other. (Sets up the right mounts, before calling switch_root to pass over control to the rootfs of the Linux distribution).

So yes, with Berryboot multiple Linux distribution can use all available space on the SD card.
While with installers like NOOBS they would be confined to their own partition.

aimc

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:44 am

Thanks for your replies.
I've played with berryboot some more and found that a similar amount of space is provided to the installed OSs which is the behaviour i was expecting.
Which, at the same time, is different to my experience with typical dual boot setup, where the partition is fixed.

About performance: didn't measure yet but it seems as performant as direct OS install.

Return to “Advanced users”