UserDoProgram

RPI Ethernet Gadget intermediary.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:01 am

Hello, I am brand new to these forums so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place but I had an idea that originated when I heard about the RPI Zero's ability to act as a USB Gadget or HID Device and I wondered if the same could be done with ethernet.

My idea was as follows, I have a PS4 that is connected to ethernet via a powerline ethernet cable, and I was wondering if I could put a Raspberry PI in the middle of the ethernet cable and the PS4. Would it be possible for me to log the traffic as it comes from the PS4 to the Raspberry Pi before sending it across the Pi to the ethernet cable that connects to the powerline ethernet cable? This would have a lot of possibilities as the PI could control or log the connection. Is this even achievable?
If this is hard to picture here is a diagram it my wording doesn't make sense to others as it often doesn't.
Original Connection(What I have now)-
Ethernet<->PS4
New Connection(What I'm Theorizing)-
Ethernet<->PI<->PS4
The arrow just signal the bidirectional flow of data between the devices.
I feel like there is some rule of networking that doesn't allow this but I have no idea.
Thanks!

drgeoff

Re: RPI Ethernet Gadget intermediary.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:33 am

Not clear what you are asking. A Zero has one USB port and no ethernet port. No model of RPi has two ethernet ports. Yes it is feasible to use a USB-ethernet adaptor to add a second ethernet port to a RPi that has ethernet and USB.

thagrol

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Not really acheivable in the way you're describing.

As mentioned, the Pi zero has only one USB port and no onboard ethernet. Ethernet can be added by SPI but performance will be very poor (https://raspi.tv/2015/ethernet-on-pi-ze ... on-your-pi) and will reduce network performance of the PS4 to match.

A zeroW has built in WiFi but it is not possible to bridge that to ethernet and/or the g_ether module.

Then the PS4 has to support USB ethernet dongles which I suspect it doesn't. It has no need to with built in ethernet and WiFi.

You'd be better off doing this with a Pi 3 and a USB ethernet dongle. Assuming you know enough to setup the ethernet monitoring/bridging/forwarding stuff. Which I don't.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

JohnsUPS

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:31 pm

It may be more practical to insert a PC with dual Ethernet ports running Wireshark in the middle....

thagrol

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:35 pm

JohnsUPS wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:31 pm
It may be more practical to insert a PC with dual Ethernet ports running Wireshark in the middle....
Wireshark is in the raspbian repositories so " a Pi 3 and a USB ethernet dongle" should work.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

Return to “Advanced users”