skywatch

Rpi3 B SSD boots but won't reboot....?

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07 am

Hi all,

I have a pi3B which boots fine from power on with a Kingston A400 120Gb SSD and latest raspbian image fully updated. It works like a charm until I go to reboot it, then it always just seems to hang and I need to manually cycle the power to get it back on. At this point it boots fine.

Can anyone suggest a solution to allow it to reboot properly without the need to cycle the power?

Also, having copied a 16Gb image to the ssd, I can't expand it with the raspi-config tool as it is not a sd card. So how can I maximise the space available by expanding to the full availalble space as I did with SD cards?

HawaiianPi

Re: Rpi3 B SSD boots but won't reboot....?

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:40 am

Either use the Raspbian SD Card Copier utility to copy the card to the SSD, or start over with the latest Raspbian image written directly to the SSD (with Etcher).

Unfortunately boot but no reboot is a classic symptom of a drive that is not fully compatible with the Raspberry Pi boot-loader. Is it a USB-SSD or a SATA SSD with a USB adapter (or enclosure)?

Sometimes fully upgrading Raspbian will help.

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y

You could also try a FAT32 formatted SD card with only the bootcode.bin file on it.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

itsmedoofer

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi,

The same discussion as been taking place here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=229228

The culprit is likely to be the SATA -> USB adapter you are using, I have the same drive as you and it works fine.

skywatch

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:20 am

Thank you both for your suggestions.

The full upgrade didn't seem to do it, so I replaced the sata-usb cable with a sata-usb clam shell enclosure. Now it works fine, so maybe a different chip in the sata-usb case?

I will leave it like it is now and maybe try some more after the festive season ends!

Thank you! :D

Return to “Advanced users”