LoopyD

RPi64 (armv8 mode on the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B) !

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:06 am

Forewarning: I assume no risk for failure to boot or data loss.

I have confirmed a successful install of Debian Buster arm64 booting successfully on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. Why, do you ask ? Native arm64 / aarch64 package support. For things like asynchronous node.js debugging, this is valuable info.

The unofficial image and installation instructions can be found here:

https://github.com/Debian/raspi3-image-spec

It is recommended that you build it from source (instead of taking the maintainer images, as he left the project some time ago). I did so successfully in an Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic VM, following his instructions.

Upon installing the image, you will be able to log in to ssh as root. You'll need to perform a few tasks, as its a very dry base image.

Install needed developer packages:

Code: Select all

# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get dist-upgrade -y
# apt-get install sudo build-essential python python3 python-pip python3-pip g++ gcc make clang openssl
Fix sudo hosts error:

# nano /etc/hosts
> add the line:

127.0.0.1 rpi3
Make the pi account:

# passwd
# useradd -m pi
# passwd pi
# adduser pi sudo
logout
login to ssh as pi with your new password, you'll be brought to a broken $ prompt, to fix:

Fix bash autostart:

$ chsh -s /bin/bash
$ bash
sudo works now, and so does bash. but you'll need to resizefs and configure swap (note: I don't really recommend the swap on the sdcard....its recommended you fstab an external hard drive or USB for the swap partition, it can cause flash memory damage over time, but its almost necessary for development environments)

fdisk partition update:

sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
p [enter]
(look for partition 2)
d [enter]
2 [enter]
n [enter]
p [enter]
2 [enter]
[enter]
+[insert size of your sd card here in gigs, or sd card size - 4 gig for the swap...]G
w [enter]
(say NO to the ext4 signature deletion)
sudo shutdown -r now
Wait for the device to reboot. Log back in to ssh.

$ sudo resizefs /dev/mmcblk2
$ sudo shutdown -r now
Source: https://elinux.org/RPi_Resize_Flash_Par ... spberry_Pi

Your storage is now fixed! You should now generate some keys and harden ssh. Here's a good link for you: http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspber ... Hardening/

Also, for remote sftp connections, I'd recommend adding:

Subsystem sftp internal-sftp
to /etc/ssh/sshd_config . Its a superior sftp subsystem, I found WinSCP resorting to core SSH logins on a pi that doesn't have this fix, it becomes apparent in an IDE like webstorm, where it doesn't work at all...

As always, you'll want to set up your region and keyboard language, there is no raspi-config to get you by. This is the advanced forum...after all.

-

It was a lot of set up but boy was it worth it for armv8 mode ! I wouldn't say its a huge performance improvement, but 64 bit package support is amazing for this little microcomputer !

feelslikeautumn

Re: RPi64 (armv8 mode on the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B) !

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:46 am

You could also use the debian-installer to install on the pi. I put a bit about it on this post viewtopic.php?f=50&t=210336#p1298879

Return to “Advanced users”