Yotaphoner

Install adb newer than 1.0.31

Sun May 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Hi! I am struggling to install an updated adb version. I had the 1.0.31 installed, probably from xda but I am not sure, and need a newer one because I am trying to flash a rom to a TWRP loader which ask me for at least the 1.0.32.

I surfed internet and tryied a lot of things, but maybe because my not deep linux knowledge I am not achieving it. Let's list some options I tried:

1- XDA: https://www.xda-developers.com/install- ... cos-linux/
I downloaded it and placed the terminal in the folder where the packet is and typed "adb", "sudo adb" and "adb devices", but the answer I have is "incorrect executable format" I tried to change the adb archive I download with the one I have installed of my old adb installation with "sudo mv adb /usr/bin/adb" and then "sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/adb", but a similar error appear

2- https://xiaomifirmware.com/guides-and-t ... rivers-pc/
The same than before

3- FROM DEBIAN: https://packages.debian.org/sid/arm64/a ... b/download
I installed synaptic and added the repository but I had a problem with the GPG signature so I trid to manually install it with the terminal. I writed "sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb" and now the problem is it seems I messed too much with the packets. It says something about dependencies, or through synaptic it seems they are "broken paquets", and I can't fix them with synaptic.

So now I am worst than before, because I have something wrong in my linux.... I am really tired of that hell of errors!! Can someone help me with this?

Thanks

drgeoff

Re: Install adb newer than 1.0.31

Mon May 21, 2018 12:54 am

What you downloaded in 1 and 2 run on x86 machines.

You do not say what OS you tried to use 3 with but Raspbian is a 32 bit OS, not arm64.

Yotaphoner

Mon May 21, 2018 1:55 am

Aaahh.... of course! How can't I figured it out by myself?

Reading in "internet" I arrived at the conclusion that I can only get a updated adb from the android SDK, so I went to the official page and downloaded the "command line tools only" version for Linux. But if I open it I don't see any adb anywhere. Despite that, now I understand that this it's neither the ARM version I need.

Where I have to go to download the arm version?

Despite all of that, I have to struggle with the situation where I have broken packets and I need to fix it before install anything. ANy suggestion?

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 21, 2018 5:32 am

Yotaphoner wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:55 am
Aaahh.... of course! How can't I figured it out by myself?

Reading in "internet" I arrived at the conclusion that I can only get a updated adb from the android SDK, so I went to the official page and downloaded the "command line tools only" version for Linux. But if I open it I don't see any adb anywhere. Despite that, now I understand that this it's neither the ARM version I need.

Where I have to go to download the arm version?

Despite all of that, I have to struggle with the situation where I have broken packets and I need to fix it before install anything. ANy suggestion?

Thanks

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install adb android-sdk-platform-tools-common

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/and ... ols-common

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/adb

Though if want newer packages change you Sources to Testing, undertake above then change the back to Stretch...
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Yotaphoner

Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 pm

I achieved to learn how to fix the broken paquet thing. Today I learned a lot about apt and dpkg!!

@fruitoftheloom , thanks for the links, but the one of the "adb" it has multiple choisses of architecture. Should I choos the "armel" or "armhf". The option of running "apt-get install adb" it's not possible because apt says there is no package called like that.

rpdom

Tue May 22, 2018 5:02 pm

Yotaphoner wrote:
The option of running "apt-get install adb" it's not possible because apt says there is no package called like that.
There is such a package.

Code: Select all

pi@raspi1:~ $ sudo apt-get install adb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  android-libadb android-libbase android-libcutils android-liblog
Recommended packages:
  android-sdk-platform-tools-common
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  adb android-libadb android-libbase android-libcutils android-liblog
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 194 kB of archives.
After this operation, 558 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Have you done sudo apt-get update before trying the install?

Are you running the latest Raspbian?

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Yotaphoner wrote:
I achieved to learn how to fix the broken paquet thing. Today I learned a lot about apt and dpkg!!

@fruitoftheloom , thanks for the links, but the one of the "adb" it has multiple choisses of architecture. Should I choos the "armel" or "armhf". The option of running "apt-get install adb" it's not possible because apt says there is no package called like that.

Using apt-get to install will install for the correct architecture, I am at a loss why you feel you have to choose !!!!!!

As above stated ADB is in Raspbian Stretch, if you are running a differing OS / Version now is the time to switch.
adieu

Yotaphoner

Wed May 23, 2018 2:44 am

With "sudo uname -a" the OS version I get is: Linux raspberrypi 4.9.35-v7+

I had make the "sudo apt-get update", but even with that the "adb" doesn't appear. To install adb I used "apt-get install android-tools-adb", but I get the 1.0.31 version, which is not enough recent for my purpose. @rpdom , which version do you have installed?

@fruitoftheloom , I thougth I had to choose an architecture because I thougth I had to download the package and manually install it, as it doesn't appear in my apt available packet list. Also, I have no idea if I have to update some system stuff or if I am using Raspbian strech or not.

rpdom

Wed May 23, 2018 4:45 am

The version of adb in Raspbian Stretch is 1.0.36

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 23, 2018 5:24 am

Yotaphoner wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:44 am
With "sudo uname -a" the OS version I get is: Linux raspberrypi 4.9.35-v7+

I had make the "sudo apt-get update", but even with that the "adb" doesn't appear. To install adb I used "apt-get install android-tools-adb", but I get the 1.0.31 version, which is not enough recent for my purpose. @rpdom , which version do you have installed?

@fruitoftheloom , I thougth I had to choose an architecture because I thougth I had to download the package and manually install it, as it doesn't appear in my apt available packet list. Also, I have no idea if I have to update some system stuff or if I am using Raspbian strech or not.

https://linuxconfig.org/check-what-debi ... nux-system
adieu

Yotaphoner

Thu May 24, 2018 2:07 am

I didn't know the was a newer version of Raspbian called Stretch. Even when you, rpdom, talk about stretch didn't thought it was a new OS version.

Well, finally, I did it. Just changed the repositories list link and installed adb 1.0.36. As always, I learned things about linux during this struggle.

Thanks to both for the help

Return to “Advanced users”