adeguntoro

Is it possible to read 10 tons digital weight scale sensor with raspberry pi ?

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:23 am

Hai,

My boss ask me few hours ago "can you make this 10 tons wight scale connect to internet ?so i can access from anywhere. I do this because i dont believe to people, sometime they good and sometime they bad".
He want me to make management system for weight scale, i'm not sure what type the sensor. But, is it possible to read this digital weigh scale with raspberry pi ?
I ask in here bacause i work as internship.

Sorry for my bad english.

scotty101

Re: Is it possible to read 10 tons digital weight scale sensor with raspberry pi ?

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:28 am

Do you have a scale already?

If not, you can buy sensors called load cells and dedicated analogue to digital converters specifically designed to read load cells. It would be possible to read the output of the load cell via the ADC on the raspberry pi.
Given the weight, I suspect that you'll need multiple load cells so that all the mass can fit on the measuring surface.

You will have to calibrate the scales with known weights
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Paul Webster

Re: Is it possible to read 10 tons digital weight scale sensor with raspberry pi ?

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:29 am

My reading is that "this 10 tons wight scale" means that they already have the weighing machine in use and now want to try to read it via a different mechanism (probably in addition to the existing way).

If that is the case then would need to know the details of how it makes data available - or at least the manufacturer and model information.

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:31 am

or stream the display via a raspberry pi camera ....
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:07 pm

Quite often scales like this have some sort of serial output, like RS232 or RS485. You need to find out the model of scales, find the manufacturers datasheet and see if that sort of interface is there. The Pi with the right USB interface devices (very cheap) would them be able to talk to the machine and get the required data off it.

Or as above, use a Pi + camera!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “Advanced users”