If that circuit is wired how I think it is, you weren't supposed to short the diode with a wire after removal. I think you just wired positive to negative directly.
Hopefully your power supply has short circuit protection.
What may cause it is a current overload, or in other words a shorted output!FrTedCrilly wrote:hi mahjongg,
You are quite correct, it is not the capacitor its the voltage regulator. its heating up so hot is not bearable to touch after 5 seconds.
What could be causing this. Thanks for you help so far as I am lost without your help