sachineswar

WiFi client as bridge.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Is it possible to configure Raspberry Pi as a bridge with Raspberry pi being a client to an external WiFi access point and it has a device connected on its ethernet port.
Scenario:
I have a Raspberry pi 3 that is configured as Wifi Access point and also bridges the ethernet and WiFi and there is a device(device_1) connected to its ethernet port. I have another Raspberry Pi 3 that has a device(device_2) connected to its ethernet port and is connected to the AP(Raspberry Pi 3 mentioned above) on its wifi interface. For the devices to talk to each other, they need to be on the same subnet which is possible if the Wlan and Ethernet interfaces on second Raspberry Pi( wifi client) can be bridged.

I came accross a post in the forum(pretty old) which stated that Wifi bridging with Wifi client was not allowed.
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... o-ethernet

Has anyone tried this and could get it working ? Or any other suggestions to acheive this ?

Thanks in advance.

mfa298

Re: WiFi client as bridge.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:16 pm

The wifi protocol doesn't have the ability to have more than one client ethernet address (that of the connecting device) on the connection which is why bridged connections tend to not work.

You may be able to get it to appear to work in some specific setups by using tricks like proxy arp. Alternatively depending on the setup you might be able to configure the wifi network in a different way (I'm not sure if ad-hoc mode might support this). Alternatively it might be possible to bridge the subnets over wifi by using a tunnel setup (something like a gre tunnel over the wifi network and bridge the ethernet connections to the gre tunnel). Both of those wont work if you're also trying to have the ap work for normal clients.

baantonia

Re: WiFi client as bridge.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:35 am

Have a look at viewtopic.php?p=733647#p733647 and the ongoing thread.
I use Pis to bridge Trend boiler monitors to our WiFi.

Return to “Advanced users”