unclekoen

Jessie Lite Expanded filesystem ???

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:28 pm

I want to create an image to use for work.
Raspbian Jessie Lite plus PIXEL and only a browser. I don't want to have big images so i am trying to keep things small.

Also i thought when NOT Expanding the filesystem, the Root partition stays small.

But when i have a fresh install of Jessie Lite. The /dev/root is already 14+GB big.

When booting the first time. I got a message "Resized root filesystem. Rebooting in 5 seconds...".

Does this mean Jessie Lite is automatically Expanding the filesystem???

I am using image:
Version:January 2017
Release date:2017-01-11
Kernel version:4.4

klricks

Re: Jessie Lite Expanded filesystem ???

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:52 pm

IMO there is no point to install Pixel (GUI) on Jessie lite. Just use the full version and if you need to recover some disk space then remove some of the large packages such as Wolfram, Sonic, LibreOffice etc.

See this regarding disable expansion: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=148133&p=974814
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

unclekoen

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Why use Lite. I don't want to use Libre Office, Python or what so ever. Only i did not figure out a clear list of installed packeges. And the change to remove a package too many.
So using Lite would be the solution. Also learning how this works.
Maybe i don't need PIXEL at all and can leave it.

That's the beauty of trying things out. 8-)

But thanks for the link. Raspbian DOES automatically expand the filesystem. (Another thing learned today.)

Project XXX

Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:50 pm

If you like to have an GUI on Jessie Lite without packages then use this guide: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=133691

mfa298

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:36 pm

unclekoen wrote:Why use Lite. I don't want to use Libre Office, Python or what so ever. Only i did not figure out a clear list of installed packeges. And the change to remove a package too many.
So using Lite would be the solution. Also learning how this works.
Maybe i don't need PIXEL at all and can leave it.
If you use lite and want to install packages then you'll need to expand the filesystem (at least a bit), last time I used a system like that there's only a few MB of free space on the partition.

As others have suggested if you want a gui system with web browser you might be better starting with the full image and removing stuff. You can get a list of installed packages with dpkg -l. Some things (probably python) can't be removed as they're used by the system. To remove a package try sudo apt-get purge <package>

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:25 pm

unclekoen wrote:I want to create an image to use for work.
Raspbian Jessie Lite plus PIXEL and only a browser. I don't want to have big images so i am trying to keep things small.

Also i thought when NOT Expanding the filesystem, the Root partition stays small.

But when i have a fresh install of Jessie Lite. The /dev/root is already 14+GB big.

When booting the first time. I got a message "Resized root filesystem. Rebooting in 5 seconds...".

Does this mean Jessie Lite is automatically Expanding the filesystem???

I am using image:
Version:January 2017
Release date:2017-01-11
Kernel version:4.4
http://dietpi.com
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “Advanced users”