rzusman

pigpio vs. wiringpi

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:57 pm

Compare and contrast...

I will be writing software in C with needs to talk to I/O , read/write SPI and I2C.

Is there any advantage of one library over the other?

joan

Re: pigpio vs. wiringpi

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:46 am

Nothing you mention would drive a choice either way. There is also http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/bcm2835/

rzusman

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Joan -
You developed pigpio, correct?

Was this before wiringpi or after? There must be some advantage for using one over the other (speed, efficiency, memory footprint, etc.).

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:31 pm

rzusman wrote:Compare and contrast...
I will be writing software in C with needs to talk to I/O , read/write SPI and I2C.
Is there any advantage of one library over the other?
Horses for courses ... I've used both but happened to "come across" wiringPi first. Their "philosophies" are different and if you have an "Arduino background" (which I don't - my, what is now called "physical computing", background/experience goes 'way back to the Z80 and before but "ended" around the time of the "Basic Stamp") Gordon's approach with wiringPi may be easier to follow. @joan's pigpio is somewhat more comprehensive and, with her help, enabled me to do a few things that are not supported by wiringPi.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

rzusman

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Well, I'm an embedded systems developer, generally working with 8051-based devices.
I'm used to talking directly to a port pin, and most comfortable that way, but I can learn...

This will be my first Embedded Linux project, and it's a big one - redesigning our current RabbitSemi-based system using the Compute module. I'll need both serial ports, SPI, I2C, and around 20 I/O.

jahboater

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:36 am

There must be some advantage for using one over the other (speed, efficiency, memory footprint, etc.).
Why don't you just try all three libraries for something simple at first and see how you get on? Perhaps do some measurements.
Joan is a frequent, and obviously highly knowledgeable, contributor to these forums.
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."
- Greta Thunberg

Return to “Advanced users”