Lucretia

GL over X

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:05 am

Hi,

I'm wondering whether there will ever be GL working over X? I ask because I think it would be important to have it so that remote login's via ssh or remote X can redirect the GL output to the remote machine, makes for easier development in constrained spaces.

Thanks,
Luke.

AndrewS

Re: GL over X

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:42 am

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1133 ... lx-via-ssh seems to be asking exactly the same question :)
Note that the Raspi natively uses OpenGLES, whereas your network-connected desktop will be using OpenGL, so to do what you'd want optimally I guess you'd need the program you're working on to have an OpenGLES backend for use when the RPi is being used for 'native'/local display, and an OpenGL backend for use when forwarding the display over a remote X connection.

khh

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:32 am

AndrewS wrote:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1133 ... lx-via-ssh seems to be asking exactly the same question :)
Note that the Raspi natively uses OpenGLES, whereas your network-connected desktop will be using OpenGL, so to do what you'd want optimally I guess you'd need the program you're working on to have an OpenGLES backend for use when the RPi is being used for 'native'/local display, and an OpenGL backend for use when forwarding the display over a remote X connection.
As a general observation from having seen you all over this forum: I bow to your google-fu.

higwoth1

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm afraid I'm going to be a bt vague here, but GL over X seemed to be working on the original raspbian pisces_r3 image (the one before the official release).

At least I was able to run 'critterdings' on the pi, with the ouput on my mac at 24-30fps (2fps when running only on pi). Is that what you were after?

I've tried the same thing on the official raspbian image but nothing gets output. I had a quick look but couldn't find anything obvious and then I run out of time (I'm running code on the squeeze image atm)

Sorry for the vagueness, but hopefully it'll point you in the right direction. As to whether it's useful as per above GLES post I don't know.

Return to “Advanced users”