medboard

Remove USBs

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:25 am

Hi

I am trying to desolder the USBs and the LAN from the Pi2 board, but i always burn either the data or the power or both...
Has anyone tried any safe way?
or does anyone know any ready sold raspberry pi2 board with removed the USBs?

Thanks a lot

Laurens-wuyts

Re: Remove USBs

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:42 am

I don't think they sell Raspberry pi's without the usb and ethernet, but Ben Heck has successfully removed them of a raspberry pi 1.

Laurens

scotty101

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:56 am

What method are you using to desolder? Solder sucker? Solder Braid? Hot Air Gun?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

BMS Doug

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:12 am

scotty101 wrote:What method are you using to desolder? Solder sucker? Solder Braid? Hot Air Gun?
I think the recommended route is to add low melting temp solder so that it can be easily removed and then clean up with a solder sucker.

It may be possible to buy reduced component count Pis from Farnell in the future (but probably not yet), it was one of the example board modifications given in their new modification service.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

medboard

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:19 am

scotty101 wrote:What method are you using to desolder? Solder sucker? Solder Braid? Hot Air Gun?
Hi Scotty101

I 've used so far solder sucker and solder braid, but although i remove nicely the slots, i aso damage the data wires (in the best case).
I have ordered now a Hot air gun, but don;t know if that is a solution.
I see pleople in videos removing them smoothely, but i ma not sure if the wiring works or if it destroyed from high heat, or is totally burnet.

RaTTuS

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:49 am

why do you want to ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

DougieLawson

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:00 pm

medboard wrote:I am trying to desolder the USBs and the LAN from the Pi2 board, but i always burn either the data or the power or both...
Has anyone tried any safe way?
What are you building? Would it be better with a CM or an A+?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

drgeoff

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:39 pm

I don't recommend the use of a solder sucker on modern PCBs. Unless you can hold the sucker very firmly, the recoil action pushes the nozzle against the pad and can damage it.

BMS Doug

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:46 pm

Can you use a raspberry Pi Zero?
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

RaspISteve

Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:31 pm

I/we always worked on the basis of a modern multi-layer board must be saved at all costs including the total (and careful) destruction of whatever you needed to remove. Would always VERY CAREFULLY cut away the target component as high off the board as possible to avoid cooking or peeling off the copper pads or worse, pulling the through-hole plating tube out of the board and loosing connects to inner layers.

Once the component/device is removed target each little bit in turn to remove and clean up the board. Lead free solder also needs more heat. Adding old fashioned solder and alloying the new stuff down to a lower melting point is sometimes successful but avoid too hot for too long.

Remember: don't knacker up the board it could be the only one you've got. Components are usually easy to source. Re-using modern recovered componets is rarely successful.

Bottom line is not to mess with these techniques unless to really REALLY need to.
Share and Enjoy.

drgeoff

Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:52 pm

+1 to what RaspISteve wrote. A Dremel or equivalent can come in handy. :)

Return to “Advanced users”