Giandroid

Reverse colors for abiword (solved)

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:09 am

Hello, I made a little word processor computer thing with my pi2. I was running LibreOffice but it's way too heavyweight. It crashes frequently and can't open or handle larger word files. But one thing you can do in Libre Office is create a black background and white text, which, on fullscreen, was far easier on my eyes than a white background with black text.

I've recently put in a new screen and I was able to get Abiword to work, and now I can handle larger files. But Abiword does not have that option to color the background black and the foreground white. I feel serious eye strain when I edit word documents with my big new screen.

Is there any way at all to reverse the colors on Raspian? I'm using Jessie testing, and I've tried Xcalib but it does not actually reverse the colors on the screen. Even if I'm only reversing colors on Abiword it would be fine. I'm using a VGA output cable, not HDMI.

Please and thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Reverse colors for composite output

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:15 am

Giandroid wrote:Hello, I made a little word processor computer thing with my pi2. I was running LibreOffice but it's way too heavyweight. It crashes frequently and can't open or handle larger word files. But one thing you can do in Libre Office is create a black background and white text, which, on fullscreen, was far easier on my eyes than a white background with black text.

I've recently put in a new screen and I was able to get Abiword to work, and now I can handle larger files. But Abiword does not have that option to color the background black and the foreground white. I feel serious eye strain when I edit word documents with my big new screen.

Is there any way at all to reverse the colors on Raspian? I'm using Jessie testing, and I've tried Xcalib but it does not actually reverse the colors on the screen. Even if I'm only reversing colors on Abiword it would be fine. I'm using a VGA output cable, not HDMI.

Please and thanks!
VGA is NOT Composite so what are you using :?:
Retired disgracefully.....

Giandroid

Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Whoops that was an accident. I meant composite. I think my brain did some association where there should not have been!

Basically I'm using the audio/video output port, and this cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KO ... ge_o00_s00

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:34 pm

doesn't matter, if you get a picture. by the way with that cable video should be on the RED, not the YELLOW plug, right...

Sorry, I don't think that as abiword has an option for it that anything is possible, there are no options to "invert" the screen.
but are you sure abiword doesn't have some kind of setup options?

by the way, you can change the screen color to something other than white, see:
http://www.abiword.org/help/en-US/inter ... ences.html

but I'm not sure the text color will turn to white if you try black as screen color, but it might!

another trick could be to switch of the colorburst of the composite vide signal, this will turn the picture into monochrome, but it should be clearer.

add (or enable) the line SDTV_DISABLE_COLOURBURST=1 in config.txt

DougieLawson

Re: Reverse colors for abiword

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:21 pm

If the composite/RCA/analog video signal is scrambled in any way it's ALWAYS because you've swapped signal and GND in your cable.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:32 pm

Giandroid wrote:Hello, I made a little word processor computer thing with my pi2. I was running LibreOffice but it's way too heavyweight. It crashes frequently and can't open or handle larger word files. But one thing you can do in Libre Office is create a black background and white text, which, on fullscreen, was far easier on my eyes than a white background with black text.

Please and thanks!
http://www.abisource.com/help/en-US/int ... color.html

http://www.abisource.com/help/en-US/int ... gfont.html
Retired disgracefully.....

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:09 am

DougieLawson wrote:If the composite/RCA/analog video signal is scrambled in any way it's ALWAYS because you've swapped signal and GND in your cable.
you failed to read the thread, (as seems to be usual in your case) the problem isn't the composite video which is working.

Giandroid

Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:04 pm

Thanks for all the great replies! And yes, the video output is working and I know it's on the red cable and not the yellow. Here is a picture of my Raspi computer setup. As you can see the video is working fine!
Anyway, I have tried those preferences for Abiword but none of them take. I don't know why. The colors on the page won't change, the text won't change color, and I can't even highlight successfully. Abiword is a fussy word processor, which is why I prefer LibreOffice. But Libre is a freaking tank whereas Abiword is a bicycle. Only Abiword can even open my full 40 page short story on the raspberry pi without crashing.
Gah if only Xcalib would work. But it doesn't. I guess VideoCore isn't free, so that's why? That's what another forum topic mentioned. I tried installing the xOrg driver but that does not work for updated raspian Wheezy, only unupdated fresh installs. Not that it will actually do anything!
Last edited by Giandroid on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Giandroid

Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:09 pm

Also: When I use config.txt to disable colorburst it absolutely ruins the display- it makes wavy lines and the images always dance and wave, even on stationary images. It is even more harmful to my eyes and mental wellbeing. The only thing I seem to be able to do is use the buttons that came with the screen (shown in top left of the box) to remove all color and make it monochrome... but I still have all that white screen staring at me.

Here is a video I made of the box when it was in its early stages (smaller screen, no solar panel). As you can see I have LibreOffice running on it and it's able to run a black background with white text, no problem. If I have to freaking recompile Abiword myself and alter the colors in the source code I will freaking do that at this point!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bwOnDp ... e=youtu.be

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Perhaps its time to join abiwords mailing list.
I don't know why turning off the colorburst has that effect, its probably your LCD that doesn't like it, an normal CRT would.

Don't know why changing the colours doesn't work, it seems to work for others, when I google around a bit.
perhaps you need to restart the program.

Perhaps yet another program may be of use, for example a text editor like VIM, but I have no experience with those.
Look in wikipedia, where there probably is a list of text editors.

Giandroid

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:14 am

Aha! I got it! That option for "screen color" is what did it! "page background color" doesn't work at all for some reason, and neither does "text color." But "Screen Color" changes the page to black and "font color" changes the text to white. Mine eyes thank you!

And now they need to get Xcalib working >_<

Return to “Advanced users”