chromebookbob

A "Factory Reset" for Raspbian

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:10 pm

I have found that I quite often have to re-image raspbian or re install noobs as I mess up my raspbian install sme way or another. Is there a quicker way than having to take out the SD card re-flash etc. like a factory reset for raspbian, alternatively could you run noobs from inside the raspbian environment so it installs a fresh copy over the top? :)
Visit my website with the original instructions on it for both vanilla and Tekkit Lite Servers: www.picraftbukkit.webs.com

Joe Schmoe

Re: A "Factory Reset" for Raspbian

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:13 pm

chromebookbob wrote:I have found that I quite often have to re-image raspbian or re install noobs as I mess up my raspbian install sme way or another. Is there a quicker way than having to take out the SD card re-flash etc. like a factory reset for raspbian, alternatively could you run noobs from inside the raspbian environment so it installs a fresh copy over the top? :)
This is exactly what NOOBS is for.

So that, if you mess things up, you can boot into the "NOOBS recovery" mode, and re-install your OS(es). Is there some reason this doesn't work for you?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:16 pm

chromebookbob wrote:I have found that I quite often have to re-image raspbian or re install noobs as I mess up my raspbian install sme way or another. Is there a quicker way than having to take out the SD card re-flash etc. like a factory reset for raspbian, alternatively could you run noobs from inside the raspbian environment so it installs a fresh copy over the top? :)
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... overy-mode
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

electronicsguy

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Well if you often mess up the working image, I'd say you're better off also having a frequent backup strategy in place, esp. for your data and customizations. A simple strategy with the built-in rsync would work.
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

chromebookbob

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:55 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
This is exactly what NOOBS is for.

So that, if you mess things up, you can boot into the "NOOBS recovery" mode, and re-install your OS(es). Is there some reason this doesn't work for you?
Aaron, so that's what recovery mode is! Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I needed. Thanks
Visit my website with the original instructions on it for both vanilla and Tekkit Lite Servers: www.picraftbukkit.webs.com

pluggy

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:14 am

I suppose having more than one SD card is too close to common sense ?

Trying to work with just one SD card is like having one arm and your head tied behind your back. Get 3 cards for each Pi you own, its so liberating.....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

chromebookbob

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:45 am

pluggy wrote:I suppose having more than one SD card is too close to common sense ?

Trying to work with just one SD card is like having one arm and your head tied behind your back. Get 3 cards for each Pi you own, its so liberating.....
I've got 3 micro sd cards, and a load of standard ones from my older pis, but I have loads of different distros on them

Joe Schmoe

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:58 am

chromebookbob wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:This is exactly what NOOBS is for.

Aaron, so that's what recovery mode is! Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I needed. Thanks
So, who is Aaron?

fruitoftheloom

Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:44 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
chromebookbob wrote:

So, who is Aaron?
Neville, the OP has been listening to Soul/Blues Music :!:
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Joe Schmoe

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:43 pm

I see. I'm familiar with him and his music. Tell it like it is...

But not with this particular song reference. YouTube gives these as possibilities:

fruitoftheloom

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:51 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
I see. I'm familiar with him and his music. Tell it like it is...

But not with this particular song reference. YouTube gives these as possibilities:

Did you look for any music with his brothers :?:
adieu

Joe Schmoe

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Did you look for any music with his brothers :?:
No, I didn't (yet).

I do have a casette tape around here somewhere labeled "Best of the Neville Brothers" [*]. I'll have to listen to it again.

[*] (Given to me by a guy who thinks the music world's sun rises and sets with the Neville Brothers)

chromebookbob

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:15 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
chromebookbob wrote:

So, who is Aaron?
Hahahahaaha, sorry I meant "aah", autocorrect eh?

alfinsyuqra

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:54 am

Hay guys , i also want to reset my pi , i have done with press the shift key when reboot , but it wont work , and the sistem just continue the boot ,
Maybe you can help me?

DougieLawson

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:30 am

Try creating a fresh bootable SDCard with a new download of NOOBS 2.4.2 or plain Raspbian Jessie 2017-07-05.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Advanced users”