jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Brand new RPi2 wont boot

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:01 am

erebusnz wrote:I too have had this issue and have tried 3 different SD cards, 2x 32GB SANDISK Class 4 cards, and now a brand new Kingston 16GB Class 10 card.

I have tried, Noobs files directly into root of FAT formatted SD Cards and the Raspbian image written to cards using Win32DiskImager.

Both red (power) and green (act) lights stay on. SD card is 'clicked' in. HDMI plugged in or out makes no difference.

Is this DOA? Or some other major manufacturing flaw??? Should I waste time and money sending it back to RS Components or just buy an alternative?
Does sound like it may be defective (not a major manufacturing fault, just one that failed between being tested and getting to you - it happens). Needs to be RMA'd and replaced.

Last thing to try if not already done, is a better power supply and USB power cable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jamesh

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:02 am

sealhound wrote:Very interesting. What SDcard are you using? From what I've gathered from this thread, it seems the RPi2 is picky about the SDcard used. I have just ordered a Sandisk Ultra 8Gb which someone previously said worked (after trying loads of others). I'll need to try my Pi2 plugged into my monitor later today.
The Pi2 should be no more picky that the B+ with regard to SD cards (same SD card interface). So that means the huge majority should work. If lots of cards tried don't work, it likely to be something else - power is the usual suspect.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

dannybolabo

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:02 am

musicrab wrote:No video at all? Not even the "rainbow square"?
Nothing at all. No output. No difference if HDMI is plugged or unplugged...

visualjeff

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:52 am

Same thing here. Pi 2 is DOA. Red and Green like immediately go solid. Nothing shows up on the Screen. Nothing at all.

Anyone else having this problem?

rpdom

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:56 am

visualjeff wrote:Same thing here. Pi 2 is DOA. Red and Green like immediately go solid. Nothing shows up on the Screen. Nothing at all.
Have you read the boot problems "sticky" post that is frequently mentioned? http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=58151
It explains the meaning of the lights and what you can check before having to return your Pi.

Red light on solid = Good. Only worry if the red light isn't on solid.
Green light on solid = Not good. The Pi has been unable to read the boot files from the SD card. This could be: files in the wrong place, wrong card format (exFAT instead of FAT32), or a bad image.

musicrab

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:57 am

visualjeff wrote:Red and Green like immediately go solid. Nothing shows up on the Screen.
The "rainbow square" is, respectfully, not nothing. What does the green light do? This may also help
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... ash_screen

visualjeff

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:01 pm

RESOLVED. I re-imaged the SD micro card and the image worked. For some reason it may not have worked the first time round. Too strange. The PI 2 is up and running with Rasperian.

The Admin may remove my post.

Visualjefff

lecycliste

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:12 am

Using SanDisk 32GB, all I get when I plug in power to Raspberry Pi 2 from 2A supply is sold-lit green and red LEDs.

First tried with SD card using drive image from my working Raspberry Pi B+, then with NOOBS. Neither do anything - no display with HDMI monitor, just the LEDs lit solidly after power-on of the Pi 2.

So far looks like a $35 waste.

Anyone else have any luck?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:43 am

by now millions have the PI2 running, you are just one of few people who probably have a wrongly imaged card, or a bad power supply, but the boot problem sticky lists all possible problems, read it (fully).
Happened with the previous incarnation too, the difficulty to get a correct image onto the card lead to the development of NOOBS, which makes it much easier (except when you are not using HDMI, then it just easier).
but do format your card fully, a badly formatted card cannot be imaged correctly, and use the latest image, older images might not work with a PI2, causing the "rainbow screen" problem (incompatible kernel).

cgschaefer

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:58 am

I'm having the same issue. Purchased a Pi2 two days ago. Would not boot. Red and green lights solid. Exchanged it for another at Microcenter here in the states. Tried to boot into the second Pi2 today but no dice. Red and green lights solid again. Confirmed that the microSD card worked in my Pi B+ with no issues. Same setup, ie., same HDMI monitor, power supply, Microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard, and WiFi adapter. Used the same microSD (running Raspbian) in both but the Pi2 will not boot. Power supply is 5.0V at 850 mA - a higher current rating that recommended in instructions. If this is an microSD card issue, why would the microSD card work in a B+ and not a Pi2?

FuzzyToothpaste

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:04 am

What filesystem does the microSD card have? FAT32 works best.

rpdom

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:11 am

FuzzyToothpaste wrote:What filesystem does the microSD card have? FAT32 works best.
FAT32 is essential to install NOOBS.

The filesystem is unimportant if you are using Win32DiskImager to overwrite the card.

lecycliste

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:51 am

Got mine to boot. Key was formatting SD card using SDFormatter with FULL (overwrite), and format size adjustment set to 'on'.

I then downloaded NOOBS latest version, unzipped it on my Windows machine, and copied all unzipped files to the clean SD card's root directory.

Plugged in the card, applied power to the board, and it started right up.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:42 pm

rpdom wrote:
FuzzyToothpaste wrote:What filesystem does the microSD card have? FAT32 works best.
FAT32 is essential to install NOOBS.

The filesystem is unimportant if you are using Win32DiskImager to overwrite the card.
Actually FAT32 is simply essential for booting anything, not just NOOBS on a PI, as the initial_boot firmware expects to find a FAT32 filesystem.
If you are using the DD tool, or Win32DiskImager (or any other image writing tool) it just creates a FAT32 boot partition also.

electronicsguy

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:10 pm

SyperMen wrote:
goldslag wrote: I turned in my rpi and got the same error on the new one so I doubt that it's your Pi.
Just follow this thread and we'll see if we can find a solution together.
I think your best best is to troubleshoot with:
1. a new power supply. Get one which has a rating of atleast 2Amp.
2. A new SD card.

Do the same steps with this and see if anything works out.
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

clearcom0

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:09 am

I am having the same problem. I dd'd my sd card from my pi b to a SanDisk Ultra PLUS 16GB class 10 micro-sd card. My Raspberry pi model B boots fine from the dd'd card using the card's micro-sd to sd adapter, however when I take the card out of the adapter and put it directly in my brand new Raspberry Pi 2, nothing but solid green and red lights. I also made sure to rpi-update before dding it. I then subsequently downloaded the latest NOOBS_v1_4_0.zip and recreated the partition with parted and 'sudo mkfs.fat -F 32 -c /dev/sdb1' to make sure the fat32 is being carefully created, then 'sudo mount /dev/sdb1 rasp; cd rasp; sudo unzip ~/Downloads/NOOBS_v1_4_0.zip' and tried to boot from this micro-sd; again nothing but solid green and red. Any ideas?

tigerson

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:19 am

I had the same type of problem with my new Raspberry Pi 2,
until I:
i. Formatted (six different SD cards have worked so far) the SD card(s) to Linux ext. 4 (FAT 16 too limited, and FAT 32 did not work)
ii."Restored" the img file to the SD card by using Linux image writer (downloadable from Ubuntu software).
Cheers
tigerson

lucid42day

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:45 pm

I had an issue with solid red and green lights on, with a brand new, never powered-on Pi 2. I used UNetBootin to put an image on a Lexar class 10, 8 GB micro-SD card. The image was of RISC OS.

Re-imaging the card using dd immediately fixed the issue.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:27 pm

clearcom0 wrote:I am having the same problem. Any ideas?
Yes, read the boot sticky, report here if you tried all the tips in it, and you still can't get it to boot, or RMA your PI.

Especially try another card.... Some people simply do not succeed to really clear their cards, and without that re-writing the card will not properly function. Note you need specific setting in the SD-Card associations formatter tool to effectively remove partitions. For some people its easier to format the card in their camera than it is to use the formatter tool.

For me the only proof that a PI is not working if booting it with the same card, Power setup, and with no USB devices connected works on one PI, but not on another PI (of the exact same type) with the same card and power setup, and also no USB devices attached. Not working PI's are very rare.

Yungveggies

Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:45 am

No named 32GB SD card failed to boot Raspberry Pi2.
Blank screen, no boot, pwr and ACT light on.

FIXED**

Bought a Scan Disk brand 8GB card boot first time.

garyw536

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:03 am

lucid42day wrote:I had an issue with solid red and green lights on, with a brand new, never powered-on Pi 2. I used UNetBootin to put an image on a Lexar class 10, 8 GB micro-SD card. The image was of RISC OS.

Re-imaging the card using dd immediately fixed the issue.
I agree. I have much more success using DD (with bs=4M setting) than using any other drive imaging software.
I have my PI 2 running the latest RISC OS and it is fantastic. I also have it running Raspbian and OSMC (the new Raspbmc), and they work fantastic too. All I need now is some method of switching between microSD cards to save me plugging them in and out of the Pi all the time. :D

musicrab

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:33 am

garyw536 wrote:... All I need now is some method of switching between microSD cards to save me plugging them in and out of the Pi all the time. :D
Buy more Pis?

garyw536

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:47 am

musicrab wrote:
garyw536 wrote:... All I need now is some method of switching between microSD cards to save me plugging them in and out of the Pi all the time. :D
Buy more Pis?
Too many Pi's is bad for the waistline! :lol:
With multiple Pi's I would need to switch the power, keyboard, mouse and monitor instead. Switching microSD cards sounds so much simpler. I can feel a googling session coming on!

GreenLantern2

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:12 am

Maybe I soloved.

As same as yours,
My RBPI2 lit red & green led liquidly, whenever MicroUSB feeder was connected.
I tried Noobs 1.4.2 on 32GB SDcard, but....

Now, I escap from this situation.

The point is " the way to copy the Noobs' zipped contents to SDcard".

Do not copy the extracted zip folder by itself, but the contents in the folder to root of SD card!

Y'know, the configure files for OS has to be on the root of boot media.

Namely, the contents of SDcard root should be

defaults (folder)
os(folder)
bootcode.bin
riscos-boot.bin

Good luck for y'all !!!

Adam41713

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Hello. I have been using my Pi2 for around two weeks. Then suddenly it wouldn't boot, I changed nothing. Well I know that even without my SD card, it should still boot into the screen with the four raspberries at the top. But it doesn't even do that.
With SD:
It sends no signals to the HDMI port, sends a stable signal to the GPIO pins, and it only lights up the PWR LED.
Without SD:
It sends no signals to the HDMI port, sends a stable signal to the GPIO pins, and it first lights up both LEDs but then only the ACT LED.

I have tried just leaving it unplugged for hours, I've seen it in another blog post, but it didn't work. I don't know what to do.

Please help
Thanks
Adam41713

Return to “Troubleshooting”