smoothrp

RP2 problems, please help !

Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi there,

Im a bit of a noob so i have no idea what is wrong.

Just got my pi2 with a 2a charger and 16gb micro-sd card. I installed the openelec rpi2 5.0.3. It all works great until i restart my pi. I get a black screen with the following error with a few lines saying:

error in check disk: could not repair filesystem, dropping to debug shell, try to run fack manually.
starting debuggin shell....type excit to quit
as: cant access tty: job control tirned off.

I then format the sd card, put on a new openelec and try it again. Sometimes is restarts oke, but after 2 or 3 restart it all turnes back to the error.

Is this the openelec or the hardware? The openelec or raspbmc from the new Noobs wont either. Im getting a message the pi2 is not compatible.

Hope somebody knows if its my pi2 or the software.

drgeoff

Re: RP2 problems, please help !

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Try another charger and/or USB to micro-USB cable with a freshly written card.

smoothrp

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:21 pm

i replaced the cable and so far so good. restarted/rebooted a few times and no problems so far. Dont have another 2a charger.

How did you know?

(If this was the problem and i will not return. 1000000000000x thanks. Been strugling with it for many, many hours.

drgeoff

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:27 pm

smoothrp wrote:i replaced the cable and so far so good. restarted/rebooted a few times and no problems so far. Dont have another 2a charger.

How did you know?

(If this was the problem and i will not return. 1000000000000x thanks. Been strugling with it for many, many hours.
Inadequate powering is probably the all-time number one reason for RPI "trouble" posts.

dangut

Wed May 13, 2015 8:16 pm

drgeoff ,

System, Windows 8.1 Lenovo
Card Reader: Old SanDisk MicroMate I have had for years, attached to Belkin 3 Port USB 3.0 Hub (with Ethernet port) connected to Lenovo Twist 3.0 USB port.
RPi Model B+ (two Pi's)
Trying to install OpenElec 5.0.8 March 31, 2015 release

"***Error in check_disks:could not repair filesystem, dropping to debug shell, try to run 'fsck' manually:***
### Starting debugging shell... Type exit to quit ### ..."

I was having the same problems with Raspberry Pi B+ where the RPi would stop and fail boot due to some SD issue as described in this thread. I tried the same things by changing the USB cable and a heftier 2 amp power supply. It still kept failing in the same way on both my RPi's. I decided to try and set up the same failing SD card (I had 3 of them failing from Micro Center generic) on my MAC. I used the same procedure given in https://tasksofohm.wordpress.com/hardwa ... pberry-pi/ but only with MAC software versions. The micro SD card was on a SD adapter directly in the MAC SD card reader. It worked! Same SD card, same RPi!
So I went back to the Lenovo and moved the micro SD / SD adapter in the SanDisk MicroMate USB adapter and connected directly to the Lenovo 3.0 USB port. Removed the hub. I made sure to do a full format of the card with the sdcard formatter suggested with overite and autosize turned on (I was doing this before in the previous Lenovo configuration but it still did not help). I then was able to format the SD card, load OpenElec and successfully run a fully operational HTPC on both RPi B+ cards with 32Gig microSD cards running flawlessly. Success! Happy, happy, happy.

I guess the formatting and writing to the card had a hidden problem that only the RPi recognized. The answer is to make sure that one tries fully trustworthy SD card formatting equipment connected without hubs or other. Of course also do as you did and make sure the power supply is adequate.

Hope this helps others that the new cables and power supplies did not work.

finnr

Fri May 15, 2015 5:58 pm

The boot process checks the disk for errors and if any error is detected, the boot process stops so you can fix them, e.g. "fsck /dev/sda" ..runs a filesystem check on /dev/sda. You will need to figure out the /dev/device for the partitions on your boot disk (ls /dev/sd*, and ls /dev/mmc*). Once fixed "reboot" should get things working again. This will probably be seen most on systems with no power management which are inherently more prone to filesystem issues.

I fixed mine with:
fsck /dev/mmcblk0p2

Basically hold down Y to fix everything, then exit. Upon reboot, it appears to be fixed.

W. H. Heydt

Fri May 15, 2015 8:47 pm

smoothrp wrote:i replaced the cable and so far so good. restarted/rebooted a few times and no problems so far. Dont have another 2a charger.

How did you know?

There are a great many microUSB cables in the world that have extremely thin wires in them. This makes them "flexible", "light weight", and "easy to store". It also makes them drop the supplied voltage quite a ways, and the Pi doesn't play well with that.

The *original* idea was that just about any cell phone charger would run a Pi. This turned out not to be the case. A cell phone being charged doesn't a whole lot care if it isn't getting 5v at 1A (or more). A Pi does. A fair number of us chewed through these issue three years ago, which is why for anything that even remotely looks like a power issue, the first answer is "get a better cable, get a better PSU".

For PSUs, I like the ones Adafruit sells. They output 5.25v at 1A or 2A, depending on model. I get my cables from Monoprice. I go for the ones with 24ga wires. Adafruit has some with 22ga wires. As a result, I haven't had power issues with Pis for a very long time.

OttovanZanten

Sun May 17, 2015 10:09 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:

How did you know?

There are a great many microUSB cables in the world that have extremely thin wires in them. This makes them "flexible", "light weight", and "easy to store". It also makes them drop the supplied voltage quite a ways, and the Pi doesn't play well with that.

The *original* idea was that just about any cell phone charger would run a Pi. This turned out not to be the case. A cell phone being charged doesn't a whole lot care if it isn't getting 5v at 1A (or more). A Pi does. A fair number of us chewed through these issue three years ago, which is why for anything that even remotely looks like a power issue, the first answer is "get a better cable, get a better PSU".

For PSUs, I like the ones Adafruit sells. They output 5.25v at 1A or 2A, depending on model. I get my cables from Monoprice. I go for the ones with 24ga wires. Adafruit has some with 22ga wires. As a result, I haven't had power issues with Pis for a very long time.
Do you happen to remember a topic or something from 3 years ago in which adapters were discussed?

We can't get official RPi adapters nor Adafruit adapters where I live (the Netherlands).
And we don't use creditcards here so buying them overseas isn't really an option either as I don't know anybody with a creditcard. Most adapters in stores around here are inadequate. Been trying to get my Pi working like it should for well over 20 hours over the last month and I've tried loads of cables and adapters. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

kusti8

Sun May 17, 2015 11:39 am

The OP was from Feb 2015, so it's not from 3 years ago. You don't need to remember a topic to reply to it, you simply read the topic.

Anyways, more info would be needed for your problem. Did you try a different SD card, a different computer? Is the green light flashing?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

OttovanZanten

Sun May 17, 2015 1:39 pm

I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
But I asked that question because he said 'A fair number of us chewed through these issue three years ago' so I was just wondering if he knew where to find a topic from back then where adapters were discussed. Right now it's really hard to find some good info besides 'over 2A and a good not-too-thin cable'. Any specifics about which adapters work and which don't is hard to find as there are buttloads of adapters available and I'm assuming most people buy the official RPi adapters (which aren't available in the Netherlands) so they don't spend as much time as me trying to get a decent power supply.

I collected a lot of info about my problem in a different topic but people couldn't help me. That's why I just asked this one specific question so I could maybe find out what adapters work well and which don't.

But to sum it up... I tried it at different homes with 2 5v 3.1A power supply's and 3 or 4 different cables using 3 different supported SD cards and even switched out my RPi after forum members and people from other boards advised me to do so. I'm always using Raspbian.

The power adapter I got is used by lots of other RPi users and they have no trouble with it. I have not connected many things via USB, nothing actually. Only HDMI and Ethernet are connected when I boot it, sometimes a simple wired keyboard.
But still it's not working as it should, 1 in 8 boots I get waiting for /dev/ to be populated, then some I/O errors and my previous Pi had the same problems around 1 in 2 tries. If I reboot or turn it back on within a minute after shutting down the chance of it booting are smaller.
Since the SD card and the reader are good (at least on my current Pi, previous one had a little flaw with the reader) I'm assuming it's probably the Adapter.

Return to “Troubleshooting”