austingeorge

Raspberry pi random HDMI loss

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi all.

I've been using XBMC for a few weeks and over the past few days, my B+ has developed this issue where my TV loses sync with the raspberry PI at a seemingly random interval.

I'm not sure if this is a XBMC issue or a raspberry pi issue as I have never had this problem with this HDMI port or cable, or any other HDMI devices connected to this TV in the past 4years.

I've tried swapping out external cables and components, but nothing helps this issue.

I've managed to catch it on video a few times to give an example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls0krJjblYQ

I have no idea where to start, or what could be causing this. I'll be cross-posting to the XBMC forums to see if they can shed any light.

Many thanks for your help.
Austin

DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry pi random HDMI loss

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Start with the power supply and the cable between the power supply and the Pi.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

austingeorge

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:56 am

Hi Dougie.

The raspberry pi is static and almost never moved. I assume you're talking about a loose connection?
I am reluctant to assume the power supply due to the Pi continuing playback whilst the TV reacquires the HDMI signal.

Austin

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:42 pm

99% of the initially unexplained problems on this forum are solved by fixing the power supply or the cable from the power supply to the microUSB.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

austingeorge

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:56 pm

Are you suggesting to try another power supply?

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:00 pm

austingeorge wrote:Are you suggesting to try another power supply?
Yes. When you eliminate that from your enquiries you'll either have a reliable raspberry pi or an interesting problem that needs to be solved. Aim for a supply that can get 5V @ 2A without any voltage drop when you connect your RPi.

austingeorge

Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Ok. I've got a spare adaptor on my older Pi. I'll try that and watch a few episodes of TV, see if its any better.

Thanks

OSIAS

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:12 pm

I have this exact same issue with one of my streaming pi's I would like to know if this solved your problem please update us.

My only reason I think this is not the issue is because if you are having a power issue I would imagine you would see a little rainbow box in the top right corner of the screen signifying said if you where. I had that and swapped out the cable no more rainbow box.

OSIAS

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:53 am

This didnt fix the problem for me, it did minimize it more but it still happens. I think we just have power fluxs in my area.

Return to “Troubleshooting”