mmfc

Pi won't boot

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:58 am

I've read the boot problem sticky and have tried everything on there.

My Pi was previously running perfectly for almost a year (bought last Jan) on RASPBMC as a media server sort of thing. Recently did some updates to try and access it externally, but that buggered it up a bit, so decided to wipe it and refresh from the original NOOBS card. This entered a ridiculous boot loop (for about a day, so presumably had completed all updates), so I decided to refresh my NOOBS card then reinstall again.

On formatting it (as directed on here - using SDFormatter, and if not using that formatting to defaults and FAT) and copying NOOBS across the Pi refuses to boot at all - it only shows the red power light. Have tried at least 3 other SD cards, with different adapters and different formatting options, all to no avail. I tried one card which had been in a camera that allowed a boot, install and was running (though there were issues with it) however on shutdown and reboot it did not boot (same as other cards). It also wouldn't connect to the network when booted, so couldn't SSH in either. I've tried both NOOBS types, and the image for RASPBMC.

No signs of burning or other physical damage (has been kept in a case since first booting).

Can anyone help me fix my pi?

DougieLawson

Re: Pi won't boot

Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:12 pm

Start by buying a brand new 8GB SDCard. Download the latest NOOBS and unzip that to the new card.

If the new card boots OK then your old SDcard goes in the bin.
If the new card doesn't boot then you have a hardware problem with your RPi.

My money is an evens bet on the dead SDcard result and a 100-1 shot on it being a dead RPi.

There is the other outside chance that the SDCard is warped and not making contact with the SDCard slot, that's a relatively common problem on the model Bs.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mmfc

Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:16 pm

Cheers for the reply.

The SD cards all work normally in the PC, though I assume that means its just better at working through whatever issues three might be?

Any suggestions on how to test if its a possible contact issue? Is this what people are using clothes pegs for?

mmfc

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:40 am

So, I got a new SD card (NOOBS one from CPC), plugged it in this morning... Nothing, just the power LED.

Assume this means the board is dead?

B.Goode

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:13 am

mmfc wrote:So, I got a new SD card (NOOBS one from CPC), plugged it in this morning... Nothing, just the power LED.

Assume this means the board is dead?
Maybe, but note that it *has* booted at least once since you started having trouble with it.

All troubleshooting comes down to 3 issues: Power; SD card correctly written and inserted; Display working and connected.

At the moment my hunch is on the SD card not being inserted and read correctly. (Of course, if the SD card slot is very unreliable that is pretty much the same as a 'dead' RPi.)

mmfc

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:35 am

Any checks I can make to confirm that? Just it will be a bit of an pain if I have to get a new one as obviously no one is making the B anymore... And I think it is just about to reach a year old, which will mean it is out of warranty too.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:44 am

mmfc wrote:Any checks I can make to confirm that? Just it will be a bit of an pain if I have to get a new one as obviously no one is making the B anymore... And I think it is just about to reach a year old, which will mean it is out of warranty too.
Model B's are being (about to be) produced - see this, now somewhat "buried" thread:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 63&t=94177
Just not being stocked/ordered by (smaller?) re-sellers "further down the chain" at the moment.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

drgeoff

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:09 pm

Worth checking the PSU. The PWR LED can glow even when the input voltage is below that needed for the RPi to boot.

B.Goode

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:18 pm

mmfc wrote:Any checks I can make to confirm that? Just it will be a bit of an pain if I have to get a new one as obviously no one is making the B anymore... And I think it is just about to reach a year old, which will mean it is out of warranty too.
"Any checks I can make to confirm that?" 'That' being my suggestion that the SD card reader is suspect? Beg, borrow or steal (the last option is not recommended) 5 minutes of access to another RPi and try booting it from one of the SD cards you say should work.

If the SD card slot is faulty it is possible (but definitely not trivial) to purchase a replacement card slot and replace it. (But obviously that would void any remaining warranty.)

If you conclude it is 'dead', why do you need to replace it with another Model B? Isn't a Model B+ a better purchase? But it isn't "obvious" that noone is making the B any more - the Raspberry Pi Foundation have given assurances that is not the case.

Return to “Troubleshooting”