pholy

Re: No network connection

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:53 am

It sounds like the Pi and your router are failing to 'auto-negotiate' their connection. Briefly, there are several ways of using the four pairs of wires in the Ethernet cable: 10 megabits per second half duplex, 100 mb/s half duplex, 100 mb/s full duplex (see Google for full details). If the two devices can't agree on a hardware protocol, they won't talk. This is mainly a problems with older devices, as you've noticed.

If you can borrow a 10/100 Ethernet switch, it may solve the problem - a 4-port switch is fairly cheap. It could be a problem with the auto-negotiate code in the Pi's driver; I don't know if there are any options to change its auto-negotiating behaviour.

dms1978

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Still stuck with the flashing leds and with no connection.

Is there a way I can use another machine (laptop connected to the Pi via cable) to update the packages I need inorder to have the dongle working???

Memo for the developers:make things simpler.

jpl_2nd

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:37 pm

I've had similar problems--- but not exactly the same.

I was trying to install rasbmc, and could not get the pi to connect to the internet.
I tried-
different routers, connecting directly to modem, connecting to laptop, different cables, different sd cards, different power source and reflashing sd card.
I would see the loader connect with an ip, lights seemed to be working on both ends of the cable...

I finally loaded up openelec, and it booted fine--but still no internet connection. In the system settings, I noticed that I was assigned an ip from the router, but no internet connection.

I'm ultra new to linux, so I could be making a mistake somewhere; but I don't think this is a power issue. Since the pi was on my network (visible from my pc and router), I'm assuming the ethernet adapter is working correctly.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

drgeoff

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:12 pm

G4OUGPI wrote:I've read somewhere that the default network port is USB, so I assume that the network port has to be selected somehow, but I have no information on how to do it.
I have tried two different browsers with the same result, i.e. no connections.
So, it looks to me as if the OS will use the network port, possibly in parallel with USB. But the desktop and/or all the browsers will only use the USB system.
Chris
I think you've got hold of the wrong end of a stick somewhere. The RPi's network port connects to the processor over a USB connection. But that fact should be 'invisible' to apps like ping and browsers.
Do the browsers work if you type an IP address (dotted quad) instead of a URL?

illiterateme

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:19 am

Hi, I have a similar problem and need help.
I would like to be able to connect my pi to the internet and cannot access the router and a monitor at the same time so can not download or update so i want to connect via my laptop.
I have connected my pi to win 7 laptop and have all lights on (and a unknown network symbol in the network and sharing center).
the sd card I bought preinstalled and have renamed a file on it
boot_enable_ssh.rc to boot.rc (to enable the ssh)
I have clicked on the lan connection - properties tab (on laptop) - details:
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.24.104
IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
after installing putty I input the IP address above but get the refused error. I do not know how to make a static address for the pi (would the address be for the pi or the lan port of my laptop anyway?)
I just want to be able to connect my pi to the internet so that I can get updates and new drivers to get a wireless dongle working when it arrives.
The main aim being to connect a harddrive and so use it as a media device and also with the aid of a wifi dongle nas storage too.
thanks to anyone how take the time out of their day to reply,
Richard

drgeoff

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:41 am

The simplest way to connect a RPi to the internet is to connect it by ethernet cable to a LAN socket on the router and reboot. (The router needs to have its DHCP server enabled - most are by default.)

However if you cannot do that or have some particular reason to connect the RPi to your laptop, the '.104' address is that of the port on the laptop, not the RPi. I am not familiar enough with Windows ICS to know where on the laptop one might find the IP address of the RPi. The RPi Linuxes often display the IP address during the boot sequence. Can you attach (even temporarily) an HDMI (or DVI with adaptor) or TV to the RPi?

Note that you do not need the GUI ('startx') running on the RPi to be able to ssh to it from your laptop. Note also that you cannot run the GUI over the ssh connection. You can (with a bit of 'vodoo' and some software on the laptop) make individual apps which ordinarily run in a window on the RPi's GUI instead appear in a window on the (Windows) laptop.

vinntec

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:18 pm

samwilson001 wrote:Hi,

I have a raspberrypi but I am unable to get the network connection working at all, I have tried Debain squeeze and wheezy (beta). Ifconfig shows eth0 and it is configured to get an IP address from my dhcp server. I have tried several different routers and assigning it a static ip address but still no connection. The 10M light flashes and so does the link light, non of my routers acknowledge there is a device attached to the ethernet port.

I think I may have a dead pi.

Thanks in advance!!
Going right back to the original quote, the point that stands out here is that the 10M LED is flashing - which it should never do (do you mean they blink on and off or they flicker on and off?). It should either be on (100M) or off (10M). If this is the case I would immediately suspect one of: power, ethernet cable, RPi board itself roughly in that order. Also double-check that cables and SD card are properly seated.
First can be tested easily by running the RPi headless. If this changes nothing, try a different power supply if you have one. If this changes nothing, change the Ethernet cable. Can the router or switch it connects to see anything on the port (like astronomical error rate)? What does the LED(s) on the switch/router port do?
Just some ideas, some of which have already been suggested. Peter

notarat

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:57 pm

I too am suffering a similar problem

Background:
RPi is powered by the Mains-toUSB charger from my Moto Droid 1 (5v 1A)
Running Wheezy downloaded yesterday & burned to 16GB Lexar Class 10
HDMI out to Dell 2407FWP
USB from the RPi to the USB Hub/Card Reader on the Dell Monitor
USB Keyboard (SolidTek 3100 Mini-USB) connected to Dell
Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball connected to Dell
Ethernet over CAT6/CAT5e/CAT5 cable

I am moderately familiar with Debian, though a little rusty.

Ifconfig information looks correct to me.

I can ping 127.0.0.1 fine, but Ping returns no info from the Router. Host Unreachable errors

The Router (D-Link DLG4300 Wired Ethernet) runs to an 8-Port Netgear 10/100/1000 Switch
From the switch, it connects to the RPi
I checked the logs on the Router and it sees the RPi.

Initially I thought MAC Filtering was causing a problem. I added the RPi to the list of machines to allow connections from, and I also added it to the Reserved IP Address list.

No Go.

I unplugged it from the Net Gear switch and connected it straight to the DLINK 4300. Still cannot see the Router or access the intenet.

I swapped out cables on 3 separate occasions with no success.

I'm a little stumped at this point.

halfabiscuit

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:36 pm

That sounds very much like the problem I had. You could ping the loopback (127.0.0.1) all day but pinging a real address on the end of the wire would usually work for 20 seconds and then die.
I got mine RMA'ed and the replacement I got back has been rock solid.

notarat

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:23 pm

halfabiscuit wrote:That sounds very much like the problem I had. You could ping the loopback (127.0.0.1) all day but pinging a real address on the end of the wire would usually work for 20 seconds and then die.
My next step in troubleshooting the process is:

1 - Connect directly to my other computer using a Crossover Cable and re-test.

Then

2 - Bypass the router altogether and plug straight into the Moto Surfboard Cable Modem.

If that doesn't work,

3 - I'll plug in a known-compatible Wireless b/g/n dongle and re-setup Raspbian.

If I can connect wirelessly, the problem is due to my Ethernet Port and I will RMA the unit for a replacement.

notarat

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:31 pm

I resolved my issue by bypassing the D-Link DLG-4100 Router I was using.

It works fine with my PCs but it and the RPi refuse to peacefully coexist.

Once I removed it from the equation, the RPi had no problems at all.

Yay. (but now I gotta get a new router)

MorphDK

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:45 am

Hi guys,

i'm so glad i'm not alone with this sort of problem, even if it is still driving me nuts.
My problem is slightly different.

I have installed Raspbmc and it can update and install fine, but when it boots into xbmc, suddenly my nic is up, but gets no IP. Thought it might be a Raspbmc issue so went ahead and got an other SD card and installed the berrybooter on it :)
I run into a similar issue, the berrybooter can download any of the distros and install then - but i get no connection in the os once it's booted. the status will show that the nic is UP, but i get no ip.
Any suggestions ?

Mivel

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:47 pm

halfabiscuit wrote:That sounds very much like the problem I had. You could ping the loopback (127.0.0.1) all day but pinging a real address on the end of the wire would usually work for 20 seconds and then die.
I experienced similar symptoms today when installing a powered USB hub.

In the original configuration the keyboard and mouse were connected to the two USB ports on the RPi and I made a direct wired ethernet connection to my home internet router. The RPi internet connectivity worked fine: tested using ping from the command line and by connecting with a browser (Chrome and Midori).

In the new configuration I attached a 7-port (Hama) powered USB 2.0 hub to the RPi and connected the keyboard and mouse to this hub. The internet connection was via the same wired ethernet as before. The RPi obtained an IP address at startup and I was able to ping external hosts from the command line immediately after booting. However, after starting the windowing system the command 'hostname -I' took a long time to execute and usually timed out without returning an IP address. Occasionally it did return an IP address, but it was still impossible to ping remote hosts or to connect to the internet using a browser.

As a temporary solution, I have removed the USB hub and returned to the original configuration which still works fine. However it is not fully clear to me what is the root cause of this problem, and I would still like to attach a USB hub in the future to add more peripherals. My first idea would be to try a different USB hub, but the post quoted above suggests that it could also be a problem with the RPi itself ....

Boosh

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:44 pm

I know this is a very old topic however it's still one of the first results on google for this issue so I will post my experience with this issue here.

As others have mentioned my RPi2 could not connect to my network and it seemed like everything I tried did absolutely nothing, was like hitting my head against a brick wall. This was with an ethernet cable connecting from the Rpi directly to my BT Homehub.

Strangely though, i had no problems whatsoever when using a 4 way ethernet hub as an intermediary in the exact same connection. No idea why but I hope this helps someone else in future.

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:59 am

Too much has changed. Start a new thread.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Troubleshooting”