codrone

Boot fails after move to Jessie

Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:34 pm

There are certain packages I need that live only in the Jessie repository.
I start with a fresh NOOBs installed raspbian.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Then I edit /etc/apt/sources.list and substitute 'wheezy' with 'testing'. Save and proceed with

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo reboot
At this point of time we go through the boot sequence until I get

[  OK  ] Started /etc/rc.local Compatibility
[FAILED] Failed to start Login Service
Some more status messages come up (I can't copy and paste), but are all OK except for failing to start the Modem Manager. At this point the system just sits there. There is no login prompt. Switching to other terminals does no good.

I can edit command.txt and bypass init, but I am not familiar with systemd and how to troubleshoot it...

help? anyone?

ktb

Re: Boot fails after move to Jessie

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:55 pm

It likely doesn't make you feel any better, but I'm having the same problem. I'll post again if I figure anything out.

ajw99uk

Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Same experience here - you can try replacing systemd-sysv with upstart or sysvinit but having done so over the last couple of days I have hit other problems - unable to log to desktop in via lightdm (as a user - it would work for root), switched to slim and get a desktop but get this error:
"Cannot register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: User of caller and user of subject differs."
and various other issues seem to arise - perhaps symptoms rather than cause but things seemed smoother with both dynamic overclocking disabled and dynamic swapfile configured as static.

The policykit error seems to have been fixed in debian-experimental so we can hope it filters through to raspbian-jessie soon.

In the meantime I'm reverting to a clean install of wheezy, I think. I had problems with systemd version 215-5 (fresh install that time, too) and 215-8 seems to give grief as well, so will explore alternatives for init before upgrading again.

Good luck with your efforts!
ajw99uk - Pi B/256MB running Raspbian/jessie or RISCOS 5.21

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Then I edit /etc/apt/sources.list and substitute 'wheezy' with 'testing'. Save and proceed with
One usually replaces wheezy with jessie ;)
Retired disgracefully.....

TomFischer

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:06 pm

Same here. Maybe the relevant snippet from

journalctl -xn
is:
Jan 05 16:18:57 raspberrypi systemd[1]: systemd-logind.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jan 05 16:18:57 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Login Service.
-- Subject: Unit systemd-logind.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/li ... temd-devel
--
-- Unit systemd-logind.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Jan 05 16:18:57 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Unit systemd-logind.service entered failed state.
It is possible to login via ssh. Any help is highly appreciated.

geoffs

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:19 pm

I also have (or had) this problem after updating to jessie on a Pi 2.
Before remaking the SD card, I had a look for systemd logind bugs on Debian and found this post https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=764298
Having nothing to lose, I removed the dbus package and then reinstalled it. After a reboot I no longer get the login error message and I can login on the console.

[My cursor disappears when running startx but I don't thank that's related :) ]

geoffs

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:37 am

Looks like I spoke too soon.
I've just done a reboot after dns stopped working and I still get the 'failed to start login service'

vidal

Fri May 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi,
I am experiencing the same problem.
After the upgrade to jessie booting process stops at "Starting D-Bus System Message Bus"
Then it goes on with anomalies and finally I have 3 "FAILED"
* Failed to start Login Service
* Failed to start Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack
* Failed to start Network Manager

I have noticed that when I boot with eth0 connected (wire) sometimes it boots properly and I have tried to change option "Device Tree" to NO in raspi-config. This has definately an effect : the next first reboot seems to be OK but the next ones are unpredictable and usually bad...
I was wondering if network-manager could be the cause of my problems but when "device tree" is disabled everything seems to work properly at least once ... Which rules out this hypothesis.

The problem seems easy to reproduce, I did made an install from scatch of raspbian wheezy then migrate many times with the same result...
Any help should be very appreciated...
Thanks

joro

Fri May 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi, same here, today upgraded from wheezy to jessie and with systemd doing the init, several services fail and one cannot login. Fortunately, there is the systemd-debug-shell command line parameter, which at least allows me to check some of the details of what has failed.

My guess is, that all the failed services depend on dbus, and dbus takes suspiciously long to start under systemd. Interestingly, the console still after a while reports that dbus has been started, but if check its status in the emergency console (systemctl status dbus) it is reported as failed. Unfortunately without any further details provided.

I have another raspberrypi running arch linux with has moved to systemd ages ago, here, everything is just fine.

So if anyone has an idea either why dbus fails or how to extract more details, that would be greatly appreciated.

g3731288

Mon May 18, 2015 1:39 pm

Had the same problem after upgrade.

For me the whole thing was connected with the fact that i have updated only part of the system. It seems that repo links lay not only in /etc/apt/sources.list but as well in /etc/apt/source.list.d/
So editing those to jessie and doing once again apt-get dist-upgrade solved the issue.

If you are unable to login at current stage you can try to boot into single mode:
just add "single" at the end of cmdline.txt. in /boot - found this at http://techbits.blogspot.com/2012/11/ra ... -boot.html

Hope this helps!

joro

Mon May 18, 2015 1:44 pm

Obviously, this is related to cgroups. After removing cgmanager, cgroup-bin and cgroup-tools, things are back to normal. I am not sure what these tools are used for in raspbian. cgmanager is a dependency of systemd-shim, however, without systemd-shim, the system runs just fine.

bulx

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:06 am

For anyone else coming across this thread, the following worked for me! Running Raspbian Jessie on RPi2.

(1) Boot a fresh Raspbian Wheezy
- - Download image from RPI site, write it to MicroSD, boot
(2) update, upgrade, dist-upgrade
- - sudo apt-get update
- - sudo apt-get upgrade
- - sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
(3) Change sources from Wheezy to Jessie
- - sudo sed -i /deb/s/wheezy/jessie/g /etc/apt/sources.list
- - sudo sed -i /deb/s/wheezy/jessie/g /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list
(4) update, upgrade, dist-upgrade
- - sudo apt-get update
- - sudo apt-get upgrade
- - sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
(5) Edit /boot/cmdline.txt for single-user-mode boot
- - sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
- - (type "single" at the end of the file)
(6) Reboot
- - sudo reboot
(7) Remove dbus, cgmanager, cgroup-bin, cgroup-tools, modemmanager
- - sudo apt-get purge dbus cgmanager cgroup-bin cgroup-tools modemmanager
(8) Edit /boot/cmdline.txt for regular boot
- - (remove "single" from the end of the file)
(9) Reboot!

*** If at this point you get stuck at "Login Service Failed" or a similar failure, then try this hack:

(10) Edit /boot/cmdline.txt for single-user-mode boot again
- - (type "single" at the end of the file)
(11) Once booted in single user mode, exit it manually!
- - (type "exit")
(12) You should now be given the regular login prompt! This hack bypasses the login service issue, for now.

Happy Pi-ing!

jonathanjg

Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:16 pm

I was worried from reading this page that my pi would not boot, and from the description it was clearly something to do with systemd. So this worked for me right from the word go, and I didn't have to boot into single user mode:

After dist-upgrade, and before the first reboot I set sysvinit as the default:

# apt-get install sysvinit-core sysvinit sysvinit-utils

and to be 100% sure, I also edited /boot/cmdline.txt by adding:
init=/lib/sysvinit/init
to the end of the line.

asandford

Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:01 am

Have you never wondered why the Foundation haven't released a Jessie version yet?

Perhaps it might be that the current code causes all the problems you have?

Return to “Troubleshooting”