benryu

Trouble with transmission

Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:27 am

I have been successfully using rpi as a 24x7 torrent downloader with the help of transmission.

Yesterday I forgot to connect my HDD and added a few torrents for downloading. Now my sd card is full.

1. Can someone guide me on how to delete the files (using a win 7 pc + putty)
2. If i add any torrents now in transmission it does not get saved to my external HDD. How to rectify this?

DougieLawson

Re: Trouble with transmission

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:09 am

benryu wrote:
1. Can someone guide me on how to delete the files (using a win 7 pc + putty)
2. If i add any torrents now in transmission it does not get saved to my external HDD. How to rectify this?
1. You CAN'T. Windows has no (sensible) way to access an ext4 filesystem
2. Look at /etc/fstab and how you get your HDD mounted. Using UUID in /etc/fstab is more reliable than using /dev/sda1

To fix your problem you will need a USB SDCard reader and a NEW SDCard.

1. Build a new copy of Raspbian (or NOBS/Raspbian) on the NEW SDCard and boot that in your RPi.
2. Connect your external HDD and mount the filesystem
3. Connect your new USB SDCard reader, insert the FULL SDCard in that reader and mount the filesystem
4. Move files from FULL SDCard to HDD freeing up the space
5. Sync everything and umount
6. Shutdown your Raspbian rescue system
7. Pull the NEW SDCard and re-insert the now less than FULL SDCard
8. Reboot
9. Grab a beer and celebrate a job well done

Now that you have a second SDCard and a USB SDCard reader you can start taking weekly backups of your SDCard that way next time you screw up all you'll need to do is shutdown, pull the SDCard and reboot the system from your backup SDCard.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

benryu

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:43 am

I found a way to access the SD card contents from windows using this utility http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/

My hdd is automounted using UUID.

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:01 am

benryu wrote:I found a way to access the SD card contents from windows using this utility http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/
Go with my method, it's better and more reliable and it gives you the way to take backups.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

benryu

Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:41 pm

I need to get extra memory card to use your method. Other than that i have solved the issue thanks.

Return to “Troubleshooting”