pmiller056

SD Cards and updates

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:15 am

Hi

I tried using a no-name SD card with the default debian6-19-04-2012 image. Not surprisingly the whole RPi system crashed after a couple of lines of error messages on the screen. Overwiting the firmware files in the 1st FAT formatted partition with the updated ones from hexxeh at github made the card work well and I can now log in. Success..... but not for long. When I type 'Startx' to go to the GUI system, it crashes after loading. Reading around the forums suggests that this is because of version mismatches with different parts of the software on the SD card.

I use a Windows 7 PC to write the downloaded images to the SD card, so with Windows I cannot do anything with the linux formatted partitions on the card. If I update the firmware files as I have described above, how do I reliably update the rest of the card so that other software including the GUI system works correctly?

Thanks

Peter

stevepdp

Re: SD Cards and updates

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:17 am

Could you try the latest "wheezy" beta image, run an upgrade once you're in and report back if you experience the same problem?

pmiller056

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Thank you for your reply. I'll try it out and get back to the thread, but it will be 3-4 days because I'm busy with other things.

Peter

stevepdp

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Also, to answer your original question, you can fetch the rpi-update tool from Hexxeh. Run it, and it will pull down the rest of the data.

I still however recommend taking the beta image for a spin when you have the time ;-)

Good luck

pmiller056

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi

I managed to find a bit of time. I'm typing this reply using my RPi and the Beta image. First impressions of the beta image are that it works well. The first time boot menu is a good idea for the experienced user - for a novice (which is the RPi's target market) it is quite intimidating. Maybe you should add a note to the effect that if you are not sure what this menu is for or what it means, just select finish. The option for setting up SSH did not work for me at all - it just hung. Control-C is the easy way out of that one!

For an otherwise unusable (in the RPi) SD card this release looks to be good.

Thanks for your help

Peter

stevepdp

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:23 pm

The SSH issue is a known bug, and I imagine it will be fixed in time for the final release.
asb wrote:There’s at least one errata: I managed to break the the ssh enable/disable option in raspi-config (use ctrl-c if you select it to get back). sshd is enabled by default, and you can disable it with `sudo update-rc.d ssh disable`.
Pleased to hear you're up and running :-)

Return to “Troubleshooting”