Schnell

OpenELEC and Realtek RTL8188CUS putting out slow speeds

Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Hello,

I have OpenELEC installed along with a Realtek RTL8188CUS wireless adapter. When pinging google.com I only get around 40-50 KB/s at max. This is the same for local where I can't stream 15MB flac files at any decent speed(I have to wait for it to buffer and getting to 15% takes around a minute). I was wondering for a while if the incorrect drivers were installed but I don't think thats it. I think it's a power problem. I would rather not buy a USB hub if I really don't need to. Maybe there are some things I can try to see if it's something else or other ways to power the USB hub better. If any more information is needed I can surely provide.

Thanks,
Schnell

Schnell

Re: OpenELEC and Realtek RTL8188CUS putting out slow speeds

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:45 am

Also just to be more clear, I have a R-pi model B.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:58 am

Schnell wrote:Also just to be more clear, I have a R-pi model B.

Yes power issue could be an issue, do you have a quality PSU 5V 1A or better ? Also test TP1 - TP2 voltage

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems

Though personally when I had a B bought a Mains Powered USB Hub 2.6A PSU to power the Pi via the microUSB, as well as a WiFi and BT Adaptor.

The B+ I now use has made my USB Hub redundant......
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Schnell

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:10 pm

I just tested the TP1 and TP2 and it's sitting at a 5.25 ish at start up and leveling at 5V when the dongle is being used. I also tested right to the polyfuse for the whole board and i got the same results. My PSU that I'm using puts out 2A max so I would imagine it has more than enough juice to power the R-pi. As I said I'd rather not have to buy a USB hub if I can do something else to make the dongle work. Though as I said, it works. Just not well. It maxes out at 40 KB/s. And even on my desktop it only gets a 72mbps link speed instead of the 150 advertised speed. So I'd imagine it just needs a good chunk of power the R-pi has an issue providing.

Schnell

Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:47 pm

I figured I'll just use a powerline adapter and use Ethernet, but if anyone can answer and reply so maybe others can have the info or later on I'll have it, it'd be appreciated.

Return to “Troubleshooting”