gunwald

Re: B+ Broken MicroSD reader

Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:44 pm

Same here! I had it for one day. Did anyone find a way to fix it?

pinplex

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Same here. The MicroSD Card doesn't stay in the reader.

CoWayger

Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:09 am

Well I just got my new RasPi, same problem. Problem occured in quadrocopter, in altitude 10 meters. The card just poped out. (Better word is shoted out). And I have never found it. :( But to me replace board does not help, B+ microsd lock is to weak and the metal spring inside is just too powerful.

Very cheap and reliable solution is to use a piece of paper. Just cut the paper in format of micro sd and insert it before you insert card. The paper must be on top. Otherwise you hide contacts!

mad-hatter

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Hello,

In the UK, the regulations say that if the item is faulty or develops a fault with in a certain period, the seller not the manuacturer
has to pay the return postage costs. If you return the item by choice within the returns period then the return
postage costs are probably your responsibility, will depend what their sales literature says.
In case of disputes, get outside witnesses and photographs if possible.
Returning faulty goods
If you receive faulty goods and wish to return them, The Distance Selling
Regulations are in addition to your other legal rights.
So, if your goods are faulty and don’t do what they're supposed to, or don’t match
the description given, you have the same consumer rights under the Sale of Goods
Act as you have when buying face to face.

Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item
wouldn’t apply where the goods being returned are faulty.
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... tAodlw8AMg

Ask them to send a prepaid address label, any problems quote the regulations and mention the Trading Standards Office,
these regulations also apply to eBay business sellers. What ever you do get proof of postage.
If the sellers gone bust, tough.

Regards
Have a nice Christmas!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:49 pm

Just to check - you are pushing the card in until it clicks? Then you need to push in again to unclick it?

They can work without the first click, but will fall out.

I've not encountered other problems than insufficient insertion pressure, so cannot comment further.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

hbbs

Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:07 am

Another one here. I am a first time user and on the second day of use the SD card won't hold anymore. I've only changed the mini sd card less than ten times trying to setup my hifiberry properly.

I guess I will use a rubber band as well.

I hope the raspberry foundation revise this on the next iteration.

philo

Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi I have the same prob. just went to change sd card and now no card will stay in!
I got this RPi as a present how many are having this problem?

Robbinet

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:12 am

Just to confirm the weakness of the micoSD Card holder, after changing twice the SD card, I couldn't use it anymore.

Maybe another model should improve this issue!

Robert

awillems

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:02 am

Hi All, same issue here. bought five RPi B+ models (the supplier only had B+ in stock) and on day two (this morning), only one insert and remove later, the micro-SD card on one Pi won't lock. Reading these posts, I fear the others might follow soon. Very annoying, since I am using these for training staff, and I expect at least 10 inserts and removals per week. Personally I never had any issues with the model B and the standard SD-Card (I have five of those Pi's too, and have been using them over the past two years - frequently changing cards.)

:|

Cheers, Abrie.

ktb

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:35 am

Hmmm. I have not had this problem yet with my B+ V1.2. :fingers crossed: I've been pretty abusive with it (many insertions and ejections) since I got it in December. I've only used Sandisk microSD cards with it.

Is there a date code printed on the Pi boards or internally that provides an easy way to figure out the manufacture/assembly date? Maybe just the serial number?

Petros30

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:36 pm

I bodged mine with a few elastic bands. I found that 1 want tight enough as the card has to be out a little bit, so it's a bit playing around is required. So annoyed in the first place, see what element14 have to say about it. I took a pic but it was to large to upload so gave up

G8DHE

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:42 pm

And yet another failure :-(
I wonder what the failure rate is, at least no problem in returning it to Farnell.
Geoff G8DHE

jhwinters

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Just received my first Raspberry Pi 2 and ...

same problem. You push the microSD card in and it pops straight out again. It makes a noise like some kind of latching mechanism is trying to work, but it doesn't latch.

I've no doubt I can get it replaced (RadioSpares) but it does sound like there's a sub-spec component being used here.

lucas.mogg

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:25 am

I have the same problem with a new Raspberry Pi 2 B

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:55 am

The micro SC-card holder is a push to enter, push to release mechanism, not a push in, force-pull out mechanism. I won't say that is what happened in these reported cases, as these mechanisms are (by nature) fragile, and sometimes can break all by themselves. It just that I understand that it can and will happen, even if you don't consciously do it. In any case if the PI immediately gets broken, you can return it and ask for a refund.

I would ask for users to be mindful not to pull out the cards! Remember push to release!

also:
A quite normal fault rate for a component like this is < 0.01%, but with 20.000 made each day, that means that a few PI's with broken card holder will be sold each day!

jhwinters

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:52 am

Just to clarify, mine failed to latch the very first time I put a card in. I'm fully aware of the "push to insert; push to release" mechanism. I pushed a card in and it sprang straight out again. It never latched - not even once.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:25 pm

yeah, i thought so from your reply, it seems you are one of the 0.01% of a genuinely broken card holder. I understand that doesn't offer much solace. but just return it for a replacement.

note the card holder is still the same one as on the B+.
If Farnell/RS would have gotten say 0.1% returns on the card holder, you bet they would have replaced it by now, because they were losing money over a 50cent part, so you can be sure they are using a relatively good one.

Robbinet

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:10 am

This may help.

From my experience, one of the reason why it is difficult to extract the Micro SDCard is that the One Nine Design box SDSlot is too tight, resulting in locking the card at the box edge. So the push / release doesn’t liberate the card from the slot, and trying to pull it out “brutally” brakes the SD latching mechanism.

So the actual solution is the modify slightly the box by filing the slot edges so that the SD card can by pushed and pulled freely.
Robert

LateDev

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Strangely enough I have purchased the Pi 2 and within a week the SD card slot has packed in.
Exactly the same problem, it will not latch.
To help where possible, and always to learn.

krsmith28p

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:38 am

Extremely useful thread, this. I opened the box on my B+ and tried to insert a micro sd card, but it did not latch and would not boot. Tried the same with my A+, bought at the same time, with same result. However, I observe two things -
1. there is no intruction with the Pi on how to insert the sd card - within the box, nor on the Distro/SD installation instructions on the web. So it could be some failures are lack of appropriate instruction.
While I expected a click to latch from previous experience with other products, the card does seem to hold, without latching (a little loosely - but not likely to just drop out) - but is obviously not making contact.
2. I have not yet found a way to tell from the leds, whether it is booting from the card or not - they are different from the old B model
Having read this thread, I had another go with my A+, which I happen to have with me, watching carefully for the latching mechanism - and I'm glad to say it works (ie latches) - I will be very careful with it! Re-testing the B+ will have to wait till I get home.
While I can power on the A+, I still don't know yet whether it is bootng from the card ..... will also have to wait till I get home.
Hope this really is a limited problrm.
K

rpdom

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:54 am

krsmith28p wrote:2. I have not yet found a way to tell from the leds, whether it is booting from the card or not - they are different from the old B model
Red LED On steady = Power is good. If it goes out at all you may not have enough power.

Red LED Off = Voltage too low. Try another power adaptor and cable.

Green LED On steady = Not booting. Cannot read card, or files on card are wrong.

Green LED flickering a bit, but mostly off = Booting/running OK.

krsmith28p

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:18 pm

[quote="rpdom2]Green LED flickering a bit, but mostly off = Booting/running OK.[/quote]

Thanks. ..and darn. Seems my A+ pi is not booting from the card even when latched in then - clearly my NOOBS installation has not gone well.
Having tried it with another microsd card with raspbian on - the green light goes out - so my pi looks like it's OK.
I can cope with re-installing the OS. Thanks again. K

NewtownGuy

Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:24 pm

I got mine from element14 in early March 2015, and observed the same problem after only about 10 insertions.

NewtownGuy

Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:50 pm

I took another look at it. I'm using a Samsung 32 GB card. There's a tiny notch in the side of the card. There's a tiny lever in the socket whose tip goes into that notch to hold the card in. There are two springs that push the card out. The tip of the lever is bent so it can go into the notch, but it's not sufficient to hold the card in. There's some play in the card so it does not have to be all the way in.

I'm trying some heavy duty, THICK, electrical tape (mastic, not vinyl) to try to hold the card in. It's Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape. I've wrapped it around the end of the socket and the card to see if it holds it. The spring in the socket must be too strong for the lever to hold it. In North America, you can get the tape at the large building supply stores (Home Depot, Lowes).

NewtownGuy

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:53 am

Even heavy tape is too stretchy. The main spring is just too strong. But a thin cable tie is holding, and it's easy to move the cable tie aside to change the card.

Return to “Troubleshooting”