rumirii

Re: B+ Broken MicroSD reader

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:22 pm

Same problem on my new B+, just after some changes of the SD card it's not getting in place anymore.
As someone suggested an elastic band and a peace of plastic solved the problem.

mharizanov

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:23 pm

..same here. disappointed in the build quality

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:56 pm

For everyone who has received a B+ that has arrived with a mechanical micro-SD card slot fault, please do the following:

- Post what numbers are printed on the small white square label on the underside of the board (usually near the uSD connector)
- Boot the Pi with the SD card held in by tape or some other mechanical means
- Post the serial number from /proc/cpuinfo

This does *not* apply if you just can't get your Pi to boot. This only applies if you have a micro-SD card socket that doesn't lock when a card is inserted.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

biopic

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:59 pm

I'm afraid the Pi 2 suffers from the same problem (it looks like the same MicroSD holder as before). 4 days old, maybe 3 or 4 insertions. Latch gone.

tvjon

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:48 am

jdb wrote:For everyone who has received a B+ that has arrived with a mechanical micro-SD card slot fault, please do the following:

jdb,

as requested:

23/06

pi@pi1 ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
model name : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 2.00
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xb76
CPU revision : 7

Hardware : BCM2708
Revision : 1000010
Serial : 0000000082d1e575
pi@pi1 ~ $

FloMeyer

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Same Problem here:
27/06

cat /proc/cpuinfo
model name : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 2.00
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU part : 0xb76
CPU revision : 7

Hardware : BCM2708
Revision : 0010
Serial : 00000000e2a6d217

lexthoonen

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Mine is brand new, version 2, received it today, same thing

I'll see if I can get it to boot at all, that spring is pretty serious about ejecting the card.

01/03 it says underneath the qr code. On the sd card mechanism thing itself it says 41029cc

I'll update this if I get it to work.

fyi2357

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:50 am

I have the same problem with my brandnew Pi 2
will bring it back to my dealer.
I had to fix the microSD card with some rubberbands to get this:

pi@raspi1 ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 38.40
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm
CPU part : 0xc07
CPU revision : 5

processor : 1
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm

processor : 2

processor : 3

Hardware : BCM2709
Revision : a01041
Serial : 000000008e014501

jonasvp

Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:16 pm

Same problem here: brand-new Raspberry Pi 2 bought off of Amazon.de, micro SD card won't stick from first try.

On the white label it says 05/03. Holding the SD card in with rubber bands it boots fine. Serial number from /proc/cpuinfo is: 0000000048ffb33f.

Will return it tomorrow.

Cheers,

Jonas

syl-20

Mon May 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Raspberry Pi 2 B+ : Same problem occurring after 2.5 months. I use my device as a media-server running OpenElec, so I only inserted my microSD card about 10 times before the problem occurred.

The square label on the back of the board indicates: 24/01
The serial number has reported by OpenElec: 000000005761623b

This device was baught from a German shop who obviously baught it from element14.com (whose name appears on the package).

I will return it tomorrow for exchange / repair, though I could exchange mails with the vendor who does not seem to be willing to provide any information about the way the guarantee should apply.

Quotations from the two last mails I received:
vendor wrote: We can check the Raspberry Pi for you, if you return it to us. We can replace or repair the slot.
We know about the microSD slot problems, this is caused often by wrong inserting of the microSD card.
[...]
Normally the microSD slot has several 1000 inserts, but there are some small mechanical parts inside.
When you put the card wrong side or not exact, some parts are bend and the card is not longer fixed in the slot.
I am quite upset to read this answer which seems to put the blame on the user for a known not-so-rare problem.

Lindentale

Wed May 13, 2015 6:12 pm

I bought the PI B+ just a couple of months ago and it worked great. I had lots of fun with it. This week I got the PI 2 as it promised 6x the speed. However, when I tried to start it up I could not get the SD Micro to latch in the slot. It is very tiny and very difficult to see why it does not stay down. From others I see that I am not alone with this issue. Looking forward to read about THE SOLUTION.
Thanks.

drgeoff

Wed May 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Lindentale wrote:Looking forward to read about THE SOLUTION.
The solution is to contact your vendor and request a replacement.

davep

Wed May 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Same problem on my Pi 2 out of the box.

davep

Wed May 20, 2015 8:38 pm

davep wrote:Same problem on my Pi 2 out of the box.
A small piece of printer paper doubled over seems to have done the trick. Not impressed though.

crabhappy

Sun May 24, 2015 1:27 am

I have a Pi B+ that I purchased in January but just this week was able to get around to start to play with it. I have 2 mini SD cards. My problem is I inserted the first card I had about 5 times when it stopped locking in. I tried the other card (which had not been used yet) and had the same problem. It seems that I just soaked up the money I paid because I waited too long to start using it. I am looking for a fix that I can to tho this PI else I am going to have to purchase another one and from what I have read the latest version is experiencing the same problem. I know it is not the card, it is the mechanism that hold the card in place. Has anyone one found a work around that really works yet? :twisted:

crabhappy

Sun May 24, 2015 1:18 pm

drgeoff wrote:

That would be a solution if I wasn't 30 days out, but I am 4 months out and they won't replace it. This is problem with the unit, not my vendor.

gjennings

Fri May 29, 2015 12:18 am

I understand the moderator's need to keep this discussion moderate, but the frequent discussions of failures all over the Internet make it pretty clear that this is not a .02% problem; this is a big problem, and probably more common than even reported, because people quickly give up and resort to the rubber band to keep their Pi 2's microSD card in.

I'll try to do a return, but I had to take this unit to the RSA Conference in San Francisco. We scanned the badges of about 2000 people who watched our Pi presentation at our booth. I'd estimate at least half of them had something negative to say about that rubber band. Several asked who made the Pi.

Element14, you are hurting yourself badly with this one. Please stop denying this problem. Instead acknowledge it, immediately replace every defective unit and get a new part for the microSD card holder. Blaming users is just silly, and is genuinely making you look bad. That rubber band turned customers off to the Pi, and sent them directly to the Beagle Bone and the Radxa Rock we also featured.

Thanks.

jdb

Fri May 29, 2015 8:58 am

There's a reason I asked for people to post serial numbers. Anecdotes are not data.

Serial numbers allow us to narrow down to a precise location and time that the Pi was manufactured. Inventory tracking in the factories that are used to manufacture the Pi (primarily Pencoed, overflow capacity comes from ad-hoc contract manufacture in China) links batches of components to serial numbers. It also links any change that may have happened in test procedures (for example a new type of jig or test routine) to the date that the Pi was manufactured.

If this failure rate was significant, it'd have an effect on distributor sales figures. If it started to make a dent in profits, we'd have element14/RS on the phone every other day asking about when this problem is going to get fixed. Thus far, we have a distinct absence of phone calls.

The advice is still the same as before - if you get a Pi that's defective in this manner out-of-the-box, post the serial number here, then return it.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

RaTTuS

Fri May 29, 2015 9:04 am

for people in the EU
please read
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/sh ... dex_en.htm
you have the right to return
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

BMS Doug

Fri May 29, 2015 12:33 pm

crabhappy wrote:
drgeoff wrote:
That would be a solution if I wasn't 30 days out, but I am 4 months out and they won't replace it. This is problem with the unit, not my vendor.
RaTTuS wrote:for people in the EU
please read
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/sh ... dex_en.htm
you have the right to return
The two-year guarantee period starts as soon as you receive your goods. In some EU countries you must inform the seller of the fault within two months of discovering it otherwise you may lose your right to the guarantee.

Within six months from receipt of the goods, you just need to show the trader that they are faulty or not as advertised. But, after six months in most EU countries you also need to prove yourself that the defect already existed on receipt of the goods, for example, by showing that the defect is due to the poor quality of materials used.

The trader is always liable for remedying the defect and in some EU countries you also have the right to request a remedy from the producer.
As Rattus says, your vendor must accept the return, they won't be out of pocket as their supplier will also accept the return.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

r1jcowan

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:25 pm

Brought last week arrived yesterday sd slot not locking card in lol :)

shogsbro

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:41 am

Same problem here on a Pi 2, bought from RS Components in Philippines in a batch of 5. So far, only this unit has the problem with the microSD reader ejecting the card.
BogoMIPS : 64.00

Serial : 0000000066e96f62
I will try to get them to swap it, but since it is a few months since I bought it I don't hold much hope.

joh73

Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:08 pm

FYI: I received the RPI2 as a gift about two months ago and only installed Openelec on it and fiddled around with its settings a lot, but only re-installed it 2 or 3 times using a laptop. So that's 1 to 4 times re-inserting the MicroSD card. Installation was working to my my satisfaction.
Little more than a week ago the same person who gave me the first RPI2 gave me another with the request to set it up as standalone/easy-to-use system connected next to a TV of his nephew who has just moved out of his parents house... I never took configuring Openelec/Kodi so serouisly and reckoned that RPI2 was set up perfectly (to my humble liking; with addons like Sportsdevil, iStream, Genesis etc...).
So perfectly even that I decided to pull an image of it via my Ubuntu laptop to put in my own personal RPI2 [with sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=kodi.img bs=4M and more...]. After saving that image to my MicroSD card and putting it back in my own Pi suddenly the MicroSD card lock of my RPI2 failed/stopped working!
For sure that wasn't after a thousand uses and I've always been very careful with the RPI2. (It's located in a save place behind my TV; I've got a perfectly working wifi-dongle...).
In conclusion its a problem with the manufacturing of the RPI2!!

Here's the requested info:

27/03

BogoMIPS : 38.00

Serial : 0000000066737d2d

(Currently I'm using the rubberband solution....)

lobo115

Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:11 pm

hello, i have same problem, and i can't return to may seller because a friend bought it for me in USA, a raspberry pi 2, and he backed to my country, now if i want send it back it cost much money to me, i didn't nevel pull it, i ever press it to release, but after 10 times i fail, i was thinking to do many projects, i had B+ 256MB raspberry and at the moment that new version was release i bought it, but now now i am totally disappointed. And worry becouse i recommended 5 friends of mine that bought it.

RaTTuS

Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:05 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “Troubleshooting”