capt_beard

B+ Broken MicroSD reader

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:01 pm

So I'm only 2 days into owning my new Raspberry Pi Model B+ and the MicroSD card slot wont lock.

For those of you who do not know the B+ model has a click-lock style slot. When it push in the MicroSD card it just pops right back out and doesnt lock.

I probably only inserted it and ejected 3 or 4 times before this happened.
Anyway I can fix this?

It seems they tried to upgrade the fragile SD reader on the b+ but failed with an even cheaper mechanism.

Jim JKla

Re: B+ Broken MicroSD reader

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:10 pm

So far your the first to report this and there are quite a few out there allready contact your supplier about a replacement (they normally respond quickly). ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

rpdom

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:19 am

I haven't seen any reports of the slots failing after a few uses, but I'm sure I've seen one or two about the locking mechanism not working from new. There was a mention of having to put a bit of tape over the slot to hold the card in.

It could be a particular type of card, or maybe the slot has been squeezed slightly in just the wrong place at some stage in the delivery chain or during use.

So far I have had no problems with the card slot on my B+ although now I'm wondering if I should put it in a case to prevent accidental knocks.

Jim JKla

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:27 am

Out of interest who was your supplier?
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:50 am

You should send it back for replacement.

This is pretty rare (0.001% or so) - the new uSD is more robust than the previous one, also helped by not sticking out!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

capt_beard

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:29 pm

I bought it from ThePiHut - awaiting response from their customer service regarding a replacement.

I have tried tap but the spring is too strong and after a few moments the glue on the tape gives way and the card shoots across the room.

I took two metal wire ties and secured the card in around the whole Rasperry Pi and that is working for now, but that's not a long-term solution.

ziqbal

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:31 am

Let me be the second one to report this problem.

After several inserts and ejects the card does not latch into place.
I had the same experience of it latching once for a few minutes and then flying across the room.

Sure, I could use some tape or a zip tie but a bit disappointed that has happened.

Since I'm currently outside the UK with the device, it would be a hassle to return it and get a replacement.

I got mine from "New IT limited" via Amazon UK.

Jim JKla

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:51 am

Often a lot less hastle than you expect. ;)

Sometimes it's easier just to send you a new one and sort return afterwards.

ziqbal

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:32 am

Yes, I'll be contacting them directly and I'm optimistic I'll get a replacement.
No disaster as I've got a handful of A's and B's.

I'll be checking the mechanics of the MicroSD slot with a magnifying glass and see if I can fix the issue myself.

Jim JKla

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:43 am

if it's materials failure it may be best to return it broken to see if they can identify the problem source and avoid a recurrence. ;)

piplayah

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:53 pm

I have the same problem. Bought 2 raspberry pi b+ and they both have this issue.

This calls for a total recall of the product if you ask me.

Jim JKla

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:58 pm

piplayah wrote:This calls for a total recall of the product if you ask me.
There are hundreds of thousands of RPi's out there that don't have a problem your reported three here represent failures well within the statistical norm a fraction of a percent. ;)

Burngate

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:51 am

They're not having mine back.

rpdom

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:14 am

Burngate wrote:
They're not having mine back.
Nor mine, even though I have now managed to break the latch on the uSD slot through being careless. Mea Culpae. It still works with an elastic band holding the card in place :)

tuxpm

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:20 pm

same issue : Mine broken after 5 times. It's brocked just after I putted raspberry in a case (may because of a pressure on the sd card while pushing the card in the case ?).
number on card (production date ?): 24/06.
number on microSD slot: 40516AC

I forced holding the card by inserting a little piece of paper above the microsd card.

sd reader is the most usefull and fragile port. I think it'll be better to put it on the opposite side of card in the next model (instead of display port for eg.)

Jim JKla

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:21 am

The foundation probably need to look at the micro SD card holder for the B+ there is an issue with it being somewhat fragile.

I have a B and have used a half length adaptor that has a gate holder rather than one of those push spring locators.

I am going to need to modify my RPi case to make it removeable without unscrewing the case every time as it's thicker than a standard card.

So when I do get my B+ the plan is to be careful now that I know it's fragile. ;)

soliton

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:22 am

Same issue with mine.. never accepted a MicroSD. Tried different cards, but no luck. Locking mechanism seems entirely absent.
Sending it back to Sparkfun :(

marjoejoejoe

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:42 am

I am having the same problem, seems like a failure on the micro sd reader spring or the thing the locks the spring. anyone tried removing it?i could live with manually inserting / removing the card like like how and SD card slot would normally work.

mofargel

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:22 pm

I have also experienced a broken MicroSD reader after only a few days of using the Pi. When you put the MicroSD card into the adapter it shoots it right back out. I have tried several different MicroSD cards to no avail. This certainly is a weak point in the new
B+. Hope the company I bought it from will replace it as in its current condition it's a brick. :(

virtus822

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:53 pm

Bought two B+'s from NewEgg. Both of them have faulty micro SD card slots. I tried with multiple cards and they just do not click into place. Making both useless. Now i have to spend $10 to ship them back. Dont even know if I want to buy another one if I keep having to pay $10 to ship them back.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:05 pm

sound like badegg instead of newegg!

production faults should fall under a full guarantee.

edhara

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:26 am

*sigh* First time Raspberry Pi user. Picked mine up at Microcenter two days ago, it was the only B+ that they had in stock, though they had a ton of Bs. My card won't stay in the slot, and I am not sure where the receipt is now. This sucks...

jonwitts
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:47 pm

+1 from me too for this issue. We bought 15 B+ units for our school, and after three uses one of the SD Card readers has now broken. I am awaiting a response from Pi Hut on this on; but this certainly seems like a weak point on the B+ design...

gtrplyr64

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:08 pm

I'm having the same issue. Unluckily I got it as a gift and Microcenter will not replace it since it's been over 30 days since purchase.
Tape did not work, it gave out a shot the card across the room. I'm so bummed. Has anyone come up with a mod for the socket?
I'd really like to get back to using my B+.

virtus822

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:11 pm

mahjongg wrote:sound like badegg instead of newegg!

production faults should fall under a full guarantee.
haha, yeah, they were badeggs indeed! I did get a full refund on them, just cost me an extra $10 to ship back. I then went to amazon because I knew that if the pi's came in faulty amazon would pay to ship them back. Turns out both of the pi's i ordered from amazon came in and worked great. I dont know what happened with Newegg... Maybe they pulled both of mine from a bad batch.

Return to “Troubleshooting”