User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12583
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:44 am

nilsk123 wrote:alright, so could anyone point me to a cable that should definitely work?
Any composite 3.5mm to triple RCA plug A/V cable for an Ipod, or MS Zune should work.

if you have a "random cable" it might be a "camcorder cable" and it would be worth trying if swapping the yellow and red RCA plugs works.

for now;
If you order this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-FT-3-5mm-Male ... 540b2b9112
cable its a compatible "camcorder" cable that according to the description can also be used as an Ipod cable, if you swap the yellow and red RCA plugs, like I explained earlier.

as you can see, the price is right too $1,00 :D

Unfortunately buying these kind of cables with any confidence they will work, on eBay, can be exceedingly difficult, as they never ever publish any sufficient technical details. :? :roll:
I expect that very soon they will start advertising the correct ones as "compatible with the raspberry PI A+ an B+", and hopefully you will then receive one that not only can work, but will also be fully compatible, without the need to swap RCA connectors (other than perhaps the white and red audio ones)

Pi_Fanatic
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:12 pm

This cable has been tested and is known to work.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/24-15489

Pi_Fantatic

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12583
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:14 pm

I expect that very soon they will start advertising the correct ones as "compatible with the raspberry PI A+ an B+", and hopefully you will then receive one that not only can work, but will also be fully compatible, without the need to swap RCA connectors (other than perhaps the white and red audio ones)
This cable has been tested and is known to work.
Aaa...aand, it has started!

babyhomehome
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:35 pm

I'm use red line for video and other line for audio ,It's work!!!

niwa3836
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:29 am

Hum, posted this out of frustration.....
I've got the Model B+ and looking at deploying into a customer environment. I've got it working by buying 2 cables, 1 will never work (tested on AVO), the other will work with swapping red and yellow which isn't good.

Is there a good known cost effective source of this cables with the correct colouring in the UK? Sure its easy to say go buy and overpriced apple version, but this is going away from the whole point of the Raspberry PI. I'm looking to pay circa £1.50 a cable.

There's a real opportunity for someone on ebay to start publishing these, there is not a single hit for this sort of cable. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong please, surely Raspberry must have realised that this was going to cause an issue and have some master plan behind it. Right now I can't use the Model B+ (as customers really will stick yellow into yellow regardless of any instruction!)

Where can I buy....?

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12583
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:38 am

ive tried to give at least two addresses for two different suitable cables in the pictorial buyers guide sticky, and will possibly add more when conformation and a link is given.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=83446

drgeoff
Posts: 10196
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:36 pm

nilsk123 wrote:alright, so could anyone point me to a cable that should definetly work?
Without knowledge of where in the world you are you could be pointed to one on the other side of it.

niwa3836
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi Thanks for the replies. Sorry I'm in the UK (hence the £1.50 reference). I see the link to the Apple iPod stuff but this is like $8 and too expensive when you're trying to buy a hundred of them, it all adds up. Does anyone have a link for the UK at a good price please (without any RCA swapping cables over please). To be clear it works with the 2nd cable I have when I swap the yellow and red but this just won't work in the real work (i.e. non-hobbists).

Great opportunity for someone on ebay to start.

Thanks in advance as still seriously looking.....

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12583
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:27 pm

In principle it should work with any cable that announces itself as either iPod or Zune compatible, but If I were you I would demand technical specifications listing the internal wiring, (which is very seldom given, as these people are essentially "box shifters" and don't know their products well) and at the very least I would first buy one and test, and if okay ask for written conformation you won't get a "similar" cable when buying again, but exactly the same one.

There is inherently no reason why one cable cost $1,99 and another $8,- unless they try to sell unsold old stock.
Technically there is no difference between a camcorder and in ipod cable.

P.S. I'm very interested in links to fully PI compatible cheap cables, so I can add them to the "Pictorial buyers guide" sticky.

HenryG
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:00 am

Just in case: black & white fuzzy image sounds like you are feeding the composite video signal into a s-video input.

drgeoff
Posts: 10196
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:57 am

HenryG wrote:Just in case: black & white fuzzy image sounds like you are feeding the composite video signal into a s-video input.
No, much more likely the wiring arrangement means he is feeding inverted video into the composite video.

(It is rather difficult to unwittingly feed composite to an S-video input.)

niwa3836
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:24 am

Thanks for the comments / feedback and yes it would be great to have a sticky picture / link database of good cables. Even more so since there are technically something line 24 combinations. Ok in the wild probably only 3, one that doesn't work at all, one that works by changing red and yellow and one that is good all round.
I'm still hunting for a good all round cheap cable in the UK :(
Thought I'd just check again on ebay uk....
Zune, 2 potential hits, cheapest, £5.64 FROM THE USA SO NOT INC POSTAGE, Most expensive Germany at £53.10 :/
Apple, a few hits but again mostly USA and certainly none under £6 :/
I'm normally pretty good at sniffing these things out, sadly not today :/

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21574
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:40 am

niwa3836 wrote:Thanks for the comments / feedback and yes it would be great to have a sticky picture / link database of good cables. Even more so since there are technically something line 24 combinations. Ok in the wild probably only 3, one that doesn't work at all, one that works by changing red and yellow and one that is good all round.
I'm still hunting for a good all round cheap cable in the UK :(
Thought I'd just check again on ebay uk....
Zune, 2 potential hits, cheapest, £5.64 FROM THE USA SO NOT INC POSTAGE, Most expensive Germany at £53.10 :/
Apple, a few hits but again mostly USA and certainly none under £6 :/
I'm normally pretty good at sniffing these things out, sadly not today :/
I used an Adaptor and Separate Cables like the following

£1.97 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350843265424

£0.99 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5M-Triple-P ... 0861978796
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12583
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:43 am

niwa3836 wrote:Thanks for the comments / feedback and yes it would be great to have a sticky picture / link database of good cables.
we do more or less have a "sticky picture / link database of good cables.", in the form of the Pictorial Buying Guide for B+ (and A and B) here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=83446

i've just updated it a bit using the original version of the "av-pinouts.jpg" picture.

CianHa
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:10 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks for posting the links, I've been looking all over the place to see what worked! I'm knee deep in adaptors and component cables at the moment, but nothing I have seems to work. 4 pole 3.5mm pin adaptor looks like what I need.

Rgds,
Cian

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21574
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:32 pm

CianHa wrote:Thanks for posting the links, I've been looking all over the place to see what worked! I'm knee deep in adaptors and component cables at the moment, but nothing I have seems to work. 4 pole 3.5mm pin adaptor looks like what I need.

Rgds,
Cian
I may of been a little premature posting the link to the Adaptor which was recommended by another poster, I had only tested on Yellow Composite, but on testing the Audio on a TV with AV input found right and left transposed :shock:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 18#p592018
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

niwa3836
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi, I hadn't even noticed that the apple audio's were crossed. This is less of an issue than having to swap yellow with a red or white. Love the buying by pictures post, really helpful for people, could do with a "you can buy the correct cable at a cost effective price from..." section, but I'm sure you are having the same problem most people are having with the Model B+. I guess there were technical reasons why they wanted to go with a pin out thats really hard to buy. I wonder if the Raspberry team ended up themselves swapping the yellow and red in the lab. Sad thought maybe.
Either way, still looking for a good and proper source of said cables that are affordable for hobbyists :)

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:13 pm

I wonder if the RPi team could make a config.txt option that would swap the L/R audio channels to match the plugs? Otherwise there might be a way of doing it in the kernel audio driver.

I'm assuming that there's no way that the video and audio pins could be jiggled around to match the other cables as the interface hardware is different.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12583
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:33 pm

niwa3836 wrote:Hi, I hadn't even noticed that the apple audio's were crossed. This is less of an issue than having to swap yellow with a red or white. Love the buying by pictures post, really helpful for people, could do with a "you can buy the correct cable at a cost effective price from..." section, but I'm sure you are having the same problem most people are having with the Model B+. I guess there were technical reasons why they wanted to go with a pin out thats really hard to buy. I wonder if the Raspberry team ended up themselves swapping the yellow and red in the lab. Sad thought maybe.
Either way, still looking for a good and proper source of said cables that are affordable for hobbyists :)
AFAIK they went with this scheme because its used by the big players, and also does not interfere with TRRS cables for earphones with built in microphones that are starting to become more and more popular. In fact they made a last minute switch from GND on the sleeve to GND on second ring, it was certainly not a poorly thought decision.

The pictoral buying guide sticky explains what cables can be used, and where to buy them.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12583
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:37 pm

rpdom wrote:I wonder if the RPi team could make a config.txt option that would swap the L/R audio channels to match the plugs? Otherwise there might be a way of doing it in the kernel audio driver.

I'm assuming that there's no way that the video and audio pins could be jiggled around to match the other cables as the interface hardware is different.
Probably they will come out with an auto detect mechanism that "automagically" swaps the channels when needed. In the mean time you can just plug in the white plug in the red jack, and the red jack into the white plug, to swap audio channels, if you care enough about that.

In principle any cable can be used, as long as GND is on the second ring.

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6181
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:41 pm

mahjongg wrote:Probably they will come out with an auto detect mechanism that "automagically" swaps the channels when needed.
A robot arm with a camera on the end, that looks behind the monitor to see which plug you've put where?

niwa3836
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:34 am

BUMP, just to see if anyone has any good updates here. To be clear I "NEED" a cable that is perfectly correct for the JOB, i.e. Yellow is Video, Red is Right, White is left. If these things were generally available (and correct :) ) I would have thought someone would be selling already on ebay :)
Still stuck I'm afraid...

drgeoff
Posts: 10196
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:54 am

niwa3836 wrote:BUMP, just to see if anyone has any good updates here. To be clear I "NEED" a cable that is perfectly correct for the JOB, i.e. Yellow is Video, Red is Right, White is left. If these things were generally available (and correct :) ) I would have thought someone would be selling already on ebay :)
Still stuck I'm afraid...
If you can solder, it is a trivial job to take any cable which has ground on the correct ring of the plug, cut off the phono plugs and replace with new yellow, white and red ones.

(I've never come across any of these cables that used a different "coax" for the video conductors.)

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12583
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:58 am

Burngate wrote:
mahjongg wrote:Probably they will come out with an auto detect mechanism that "automagically" swaps the channels when needed.
A robot arm with a camera on the end, that looks behind the monitor to see which plug you've put where?
no, a piece of software that detects whether you are actually using composite video on the A/V cable, or just playing analog audio through an audio only cable, then swaps the channels accordingly.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12583
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Trouble with video over 3.5mm jack with B+

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:04 am

niwa3836 wrote:BUMP, just to see if anyone has any good updates here. To be clear I "NEED" a cable that is perfectly correct for the JOB, i.e. Yellow is Video, Red is Right, White is left. If these things were generally available (and correct :) ) I would have thought someone would be selling already on ebay :)
Still stuck I'm afraid...
the pictorial buying guide lists an iPod cable, but that one costs more than $8, and yes, it still has the audio channels swapped, that is, until software auto detects you are using the A/V as video out, and swaps the channels, (as I'm suspect will happen).

A 100% correct cable, specifically designed for the PI does not yet exist (I think).

Return to “Troubleshooting”