Beenay25

Firmware update breaks wifi

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi all,

I've just started using my new Pi.

I finally managed to get the wifi dongle working (Realtek RTL8188CU based).

However the system was unstable. It kept locking up after a few minutes of use. So I tried the rpi-updater to upgrade the firmware.

It seems to have broken it. I'm getting messages saying that the 8192cu "disagrees about version of symbol module_layout"

Some websites have suggested recompiling the 8192 drivers... but whilst I've used linux for a number of years, I've never messed with recompiling things.

Can anyone suggest either :
A step by step guide to compiling stuff on a raspberry pi.
or
Any idea when the firmware is likely to be 'fixed' (assuming that this is the problem)

spennig

Re: Firmware update breaks wifi

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:37 pm

Beenay25 wrote:Hi all,

Any idea when the firmware is likely to be 'fixed' (assuming that this is the problem)

The firmware didn''t break wifi, rather you did by:

(a) initally installing the vendor (presumably Debian) kernel
(b) adding a wifi module **specifically built for that vendor kernel**

so far, so good.

then you install a different kernel that does not include the wifi module and guess what, the new kernel complains that the *old* wifi module is for a different kernel version.

No surprises there.

You have a number of choices:

* Revert to the vendor kernel;
* Rebuild the required module for the git kernel;
* Build your own kernel with the wifi module you need.

For either of the second and third cases, there is ample, good advice via a Google search. Cross compiling kernels is pretty simple and takes a matter of minutes on modern hardware. Good luck.

Beenay25

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi Spennig,
Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately your response makes the mistake of assuming that I understand either how to compile things in linux, or how to take a set of online instructions for a different version of debian/linux/modules/kernel and apply them to the very specific situation I have here.
I've been trawling the internet for two days now and everything I find either assumes you know exactly how linux works, or gives you a very rigid set of instructions that unfortunately don't apply (or work) in this situation.
Out of the three options you've given me, the first one is a definite 'no' as the Pi crashes every few minutes. I'm not sure what the difference between options two and three are. Certainly not regarding what's required to accomplish them. :(

Beenay25

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:36 pm

A partial fix/explanation.
I think the Pi was underpowered. Checking the voltages on TP1 & TP2 showed 4.7v
I've been using it for the last hour on another supply that gives a reading of 4.85v.
All of this, of course, without the updated firmware.

zoom6628

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:42 am

Pretty much all of the info says if voltage below 5v then "all bets are off". I now run my rpi from either my phone charge which delivers reliable 5.2V or else from a portable recharge pack that also gives 5.2V. Just started taking delivery of wifi dongles today, first of which is a TP-link using the RTL8188CU chip....so wish me luck!

pjc123

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:57 am

EDIT: I see the original post is 3 months old, so probably not active any more.
Beenay25 wrote: I finally managed to get the wifi dongle working (Realtek RTL8188CU based).

However the system was unstable. It kept locking up after a few minutes of use. So I tried the rpi-updater to upgrade the firmware.

It seems to have broken it. I'm getting messages saying that the 8192cu "disagrees about version of symbol module_layout"
You have a RTL8188CU based device, and you are getting 8192cu messages? Huh?
Beenay25 wrote: I've been trawling the internet for two days now and everything I find either assumes you know exactly how linux works, or gives you a very rigid set of instructions that unfortunately don't apply (or work) in this situation.
On this forum, MrEngmann does the work for you. As new kernel images are released, he supplies updated drivers, and the entire installation is in a script. If an updated kernel is released, his script has an option to upgrade rather than reinstall.

Look here under the section Edimax for MrEngman:

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

welshblob

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:22 pm

zoom6628 wrote:Pretty much all of the info says if voltage below 5v then "all bets are off". I now run my rpi from either my phone charge which delivers reliable 5.2V or else from a portable recharge pack that also gives 5.2V. Just started taking delivery of wifi dongles today, first of which is a TP-link using the RTL8188CU chip....so wish me luck!
What phone charger is it?

Return to “Troubleshooting”