gamemaker123825

Raspbian takes up all my sd card and can not install anythin

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi, I just installed Raspbian and it takes all my SD card and will not let me install anything, when its a 8 GB SD card, I followed the tutorials , I'm running windows 7, Please help thanks

Andrea

RobHenry

Re: Raspbian takes up all my sd card and can not install any

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:23 pm

did you use raspi-config to expand the file system to fill your sd card?

If not, then run sudo raspi-config from a command line and select the option, then reboot and you should be fine.

Failing which, post the output of df -h

gamemaker123825

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Oh cool thanks it worked :D

banjomike

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:56 pm

I think I have the same problem except that I installed Raspbian using the latest version of Noobs. Using sudo raspi-config as suggested tells me I have used noobs so the root filesystem is already expanded although SDformatter on Windows 7 can only see 1.34GB. What I want to be able to do is simply reformat the entire 8GB using SDformatter on Windows 7 and start again but without Noobs. How can I do that?

Richard-TX

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:19 am

removing oracle will free up some space.

Code: Select all

apt-get remove --purge oracle-java7-jdk
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

DeeJay

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:59 am

banjomike wrote:I think I have the same problem except that I installed Raspbian using the latest version of Noobs. Using sudo raspi-config as suggested tells me I have used noobs so the root filesystem is already expanded although SDformatter on Windows 7 can only see 1.34GB. What I want to be able to do is simply reformat the entire 8GB using SDformatter on Windows 7 and start again but without Noobs. How can I do that?
Firstly: Windows only reports on the first partition it can see on an SD card. For a NOOBS card that partition contains only the NOOBS installer itself, not the installed Operating System(s).

Secondly: if you want to install an OS without the assistance of NOOBS you will need a different download which will need to be 'flashed' to the SD card with a tool such as Win32DiskImager. This tool does a bit-by-bit transfer of data onto the SD card which ignores and overwrites any pre-existing content. Reformatting the SD card prior to that is therefore redundant.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

banjomike

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:03 am

DeeJay wrote:
banjomike wrote:I think I have the same problem except that I installed Raspbian using the latest version of Noobs. Using sudo raspi-config as suggested tells me I have used noobs so the root filesystem is already expanded although SDformatter on Windows 7 can only see 1.34GB. What I want to be able to do is simply reformat the entire 8GB using SDformatter on Windows 7 and start again but without Noobs. How can I do that?
Firstly: Windows only reports on the first partition it can see on an SD card. For a NOOBS card that partition contains only the NOOBS installer itself, not the installed Operating System(s).

Secondly: if you want to install an OS without the assistance of NOOBS you will need a different download which will need to be 'flashed' to the SD card with a tool such as Win32DiskImager. This tool does a bit-by-bit transfer of data onto the SD card which ignores and overwrites any pre-existing content. Reformatting the SD card prior to that is therefore redundant.
I'll go with Win32DiskImager but I would still like to be able to reformat the SD and return it to 'factory size' as it were. Can I do that with Raspbian or a Windows utility?

DeeJay

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:22 am

banjomike wrote:I would still like to be able to reformat the SD and return it to 'factory size' as it were. Can I do that with Raspbian or a Windows utility?
SDFormatter. Select 'Format Option' and set FORMAT SIZE OPTION to ON.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

johndough

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:59 am

[quote=]
Can I do that with Raspbian or a Windows utility?[/quote]

Hi

I use Paragon Partition Manager 2014 to view and adjust the partitions. Like shrinking the boot sector area slightly.

banjomike

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:56 pm

DeeJay wrote:SDFormatter. Select 'Format Option' and set FORMAT SIZE OPTION to ON.
When I use SDFormatter 4.0 and FORMAT SIZE OPTION to ON it only reports 1.34 GB with a volume label of "RECOVERY". The SD is 8GB.

MrEngman

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:16 pm

banjomike wrote:
DeeJay wrote:SDFormatter. Select 'Format Option' and set FORMAT SIZE OPTION to ON.
When I use SDFormatter 4.0 and FORMAT SIZE OPTION to ON it only reports 1.34 GB with a volume label of "RECOVERY". The SD is 8GB.
It will until you get SDFormatter to format the SD card. After formatting has finished you should then end up with a card showing ~8GB.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

banjomike

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:05 pm

[quote="MrEngman"It will until you get SDFormatter to format the SD card. After formatting has finished you should then end up with a card showing ~8GB.

MrEngman[/quote]

So it did! Thank you, all.

I think I'll go and read-up on Linux.

Return to “Troubleshooting”