frustrated _pi_user

Sharing files from OSX with Raspbmc

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:03 pm

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I searched the forums and came up empty-handed.

I have an iMac running OSX version 10.9.1 and a Raspberry Pi (v2) running Raspbmc. I also have a USB 3TB hard drive which contains music, movies, etc (formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled).

With Raspbmc running on the pi, if I plug in the USB drive to the pi I can browse to the files and play them with ease. What I actually want to do is plug the USB drive into the iMac, then share the mounted directory with the Raspbmc. Both the iMac and Raspbmc Pi are on the same subnet of my home network.

I have tried every single tutorial online and spent over 20 hours so far trying to get sharing to work. I have tried using Samba, nfs, and netatalk and none of them seem to work. I can't even get SMBUp to start the Samba server on the iMac.

Has anyone gotten this to work? I can't believe it's 2014 and file sharing between two computers is so incredibly hard to set up. I'll take any advice you can give, thanks :-)

tvjon

Re: Sharing files from OSX with Raspbmc

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:18 am

Did you try:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewto ... fs#p448432

You can install sshfs to your rpi via:

sudo apt-get install sshfs

There's then no need to bother about how OS X's file sharing is set up.

fluxcapacitor

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi tvjon. frustrated _pi_user doesn't want to mount his PI on the Mac. He wants the reverse, to mount his Mac (3TB drive, etc.) on his PI.

I wish to do the same, share a folder from my Mac to my PI via Samba. I thought I already replied to this, but I see it didn't go through :-/ Hmm.

@frustrated _pi_user, have you first tried this from the shell of the PI?

Code: Select all

smbclient -U[user on Mac]%[password of user on Mac] -L[IP address or hostname of your Mac]
Do you see anything?

I haven't had success with Can't mount a Windows share, but I'm still trying with that post. For the most part, it has been very helpful.

It seems the issue is my Raspbian lacks support to mount smbfs or cifs, but I don't think this is true. I just can't get it to work. Some command that is showing some promise is:

sudo mount -t cifs //macshare/family_video_files_from_September_2012 /mnt/macsmb -o username=flux,password=capacitor
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //macshare/family_video_files_from_September_2012,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

dmesg|tail
shows nothing of interest regarding CIFS or Samba
I don't have, nor does there seem to be any "helper" programs on apt-get such as mount.smbfs or mount.cifs

fluxcapacitor

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:38 pm

I GOT IT!!! :) I just posted here but here it is for this post...

Oddly enough, I had some packages missing, so it didn't work for me. Specifically, I was missing:

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
But now it works perfectly! I now have following "helpers" on my Pi:
mount mount.cifs mount.nfs mountpoint
mountall mount.fuse mount.nfs4 mountstats

Finally!... mount.cifs! :)

dpkg -l
yields that I also have the following packages of interest to getting SMB, Samba, CIFS working on a Raspberry Pi attached to a Mac, (Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard).
libnss-winbind
libwbclient0
samba
samba-common
samba-common-bin
samba-tools
winbind
fusesmb
libsmbclient
smbclient

tvjon

Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:28 pm

fluxcapacitor wrote:Hi tvjon. frustrated _pi_user doesn't want to mount his PI on the Mac. He wants the reverse, to mount his Mac (3TB drive, etc.) on his PI.

I wish to do the same, share a folder from my Mac to my PI via Samba. I thought I already replied to this, but I see it didn't go through :-/
Hi Flux,
Yes I understand that. It works both ways :-)

I access mac drives from Rpi's via sshfs. All you do is enable remote access on your mac. No need to bother with smb or file sharing.

janborkowski

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:27 am

Hi all, I have a question. I have the same setup. I want to connect my 3TB USB HDD to the pi (running raspbmc) and then share (read/write) the 3TB with my mac. So the HDD is alwarys connected to the pi and I simply save media files on the HDD. HDD is also formated for mac (journaled format).

Thank you!
Jan

Return to “Troubleshooting”