Cereal

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:27 pm

uzunahmet wrote: You have an exact copy of my setup (Pi 2 + BerryBoot + Raspbian [3.18.6-v7i-aufs] + OpenElec) and you are facing exactly the same problems I spent hours to solve.

Hopefully the solution is simple.

Run the following command on Raspbian terminal window (with wired Internet connection) and then restart your Pi.

Code: Select all

sudo wget https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/raw/c83976d1dfb4793893158461430261562b3a5bf0/rtl8188eufw.bin -O /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin
Thanks uzunahmet!
I haven't tried it yet, since i switched the multi-boot from berryboot to noobs, and now it uses the last version mentioned here.

I'll have to try it one of these days but, since you have the same setup, it'll probably work like a charm! :)

aimc

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Well, today i wanted to update my rpi firmware and couldn't do it by following the method described a few pages back, which included copying 8188eu-3.18.7-and-build-tools.tar to /etc and to /lib and doing sudo insmod and sudo depmod

(the error message was "invalid module format")
I will try what is suggested on the first page, which was my preferred method before the author didn't update the list regularly

Edit: And it works like a charm :D

Bananaguns

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:52 am

Are you supposed to download the driver (copy Dropbox link to address bar with added date code) and then run the install commands? I botched my raspbian install and had to start fresh and again this took me like two hours to get working. Honestly I don't even know what I did to finally make it work but I wish I did. I ran the scripts several times each with the v7 link (I have a pi 2) and the regular one since I wasn't sure which actually made my adapter work the first time and finally it just works 0_o not complaining but I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

It always says "cannot stat... No such directory... 8188.ko file exist". Kind of confused by the whole no such directory thing, then saying the file exist.

Anyway, THANK YOU!! Do you take donations or something? Might as well buy you a beer after saving me the money for a new dongle.

MrEngman

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:14 pm

Bananaguns wrote:Are you supposed to download the driver (copy Dropbox link to address bar with added date code) and then run the install commands? I botched my raspbian install and had to start fresh and again this took me like two hours to get working. Honestly I don't even know what I did to finally make it work but I wish I did. I ran the scripts several times each with the v7 link (I have a pi 2) and the regular one since I wasn't sure which actually made my adapter work the first time and finally it just works 0_o not complaining but I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

It always says "cannot stat... No such directory... 8188.ko file exist". Kind of confused by the whole no such directory thing, then saying the file exist.

Anyway, THANK YOU!! Do you take donations or something? Might as well buy you a beer after saving me the money for a new dongle.
You're not the only one confused. :?

If you want to use the driver I compiled then, yes, of course you will need to download and install it.

If you are getting errors you should post the commands that cause them then I could probably figure out what your problems are. From your description I have no idea what you are doing to get these errors.

To install the driver you should just follow the instructions in the first post listing the driver files. This requires you to download and untar the file for your linux version and then run the install command if you are installing on a Pi using a 3.18 version of linux. The 3.18 driver files include three files, 8188eu.ko the driver file, 8188eu.conf a file to disable power management and disable the inbuilt driver, and the install file install.sh.

You will need to first determine the driver file you need to work with your kernel version. To determine your linux version run the command uname -a. This will display something like
Linux Pi-B-2 3.18.8-v7+ #764 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 3 15:22:38 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
with the important part highlighted in red. This shows the linux version and build number. This example is from my Pi B 2, but of course your's may be different. Look through the list of files in the first post for the driver version that is listed for your kernel version/build. The kernel version and build must match exactly what the uname -a command shows for your Pi. Download the driver file that corresponds to your kernel version and build and extract the tar.gz file and then run the command ./install.sh to install the driver file. If you update your kernel using rpi-update you will need to download and re-install the driver or install a new version depending on the version of the new code.

There is an alternative method to download and install my drivers. If you read towards the end of the first post there is mention of a script by LaFambe. This script will automatically download and install the right driver if there is one available. To use this script download the file using the link in the first post, untar the file and then you can run the script using the command ./install-8188eu.sh. If you update your kernel, to re-install or update the driver, just re-run the ./install-8188eu.sh command, no need to download it again.

Now, just to confuse you even more :? :? :? , the 3.18 kernels include a built in driver for the 8188eu driver but to get it working you will need to download a separate firmware file, however, quite a few people have said they have had various issues with the in built driver and prefer to use the one I compile. Once you have installed the firmware file you will not need to re-install or update this driver if you update your kernel. To use this driver you will need to remove my driver and install the firmware file. You can do this using the commands

sudo rm /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf
sudo wget https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/raw/c83976d1dfb4793893158461430261562b3a5bf0/rtl8188eufw.bin -O /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin
If you get an error with the last command like "No such file or directory" run the command

sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
and then re-run the command

After installing the driver, by which ever method, you should reboot your Pi and if your wifi is correctly configured it should load and connect to your wifi network.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Bananaguns

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:37 pm

MrEngman wrote:
Bananaguns wrote:Are you supposed to download the driver (copy Dropbox link to address bar with added date code) and then run the install commands? I botched my raspbian install and had to start fresh and again this took me like two hours to get working. Honestly I don't even know what I did to finally make it work but I wish I did. I ran the scripts several times each with the v7 link (I have a pi 2) and the regular one since I wasn't sure which actually made my adapter work the first time and finally it just works 0_o not complaining but I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

If you want to use the driver I compiled then, yes, of course you will need to download and install it.

If you are getting errors you should post the commands that cause them then I could probably figure out what your problems are. From your description I have no idea what you are doing to get these errors.

To install the driver you should just follow the instructions in the first post listing the driver files. This requires you to download and untar the file for your linux version and then run the install command if you are installing on a Pi using a 3.18 version of linux. The 3.18 driver files include three files, 8188eu.ko the driver file, 8188eu.conf a file to disable power management and disable the inbuilt driver, and the install file install.sh.

You will need to first determine the driver file you need to work with your kernel version. To determine your linux version run the command uname -a. This will display something like
Linux Pi-B-2 3.18.8-v7+ #764 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 3 15:22:38 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
with the important part highlighted in red. This shows the linux version and build number. This example is from my Pi B 2, but of course your's may be different. Look through the list of files in the first post for the driver version that is listed for your kernel version/build. The kernel version and build must match exactly what the uname -a command shows for your Pi. Download the driver file that corresponds to your kernel version and build and extract the tar.gz file and then run the command ./install.sh to install the driver file. If you update your kernel using rpi-update you will need to download and re-install the driver or install a new version depending on the version of the new code.

There is an alternative method to download and install my drivers. If you read towards the end of the first post there is mention of a script by LaFambe. This script will automatically download and install the right driver if there is one available. To use this script download the file using the link in the first post, untar the file and then you can run the script using the command ./install-8188eu.sh. If you update your kernel, to re-install or update the driver, just re-run the ./install-8188eu.sh command, no need to download it again.

Now, just to confuse you even more :? :? :? , the 3.18 kernels include a built in driver for the 8188eu driver but to get it working you will need to download a separate firmware file, however, quite a few people have said they have had various issues with the in built driver and prefer to use the one I compile. Once you have installed the firmware file you will not need to re-install or update this driver if you update your kernel. To use this driver you will need to remove my driver and install the firmware file. You can do this using the commands

If you get an error with the last command like "No such file or directory" run the command

After installing the driver, by which ever method, you should reboot your Pi and if your wifi is correctly configured it should load and connect to your wifi network.

MrEngman
Both

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-2015yyzz.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-2015yyzz.tar.gz
./install.sh 
And

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz <--set data code for driver version above
tar -zxvf 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz                                         <--set data code for driver version above
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo depmod -a  
give me the "can't stat directory doesn't exist..."

I understand the driver has to be downloaded and installed to use lol I meant, am I suppose to use the link(the one by its self with no commands) to download it from my browser and then run the other commands? I've got ot to work ot just takes a billion tries and eventually it just works. I've just downloaded ubuntu so ill try the firmware upgrade now.

Massi

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:27 pm

well, in the first block you have to change yyzz to the correct date..
In the second, i don't think "<--set data code for driver version above" can be in the command :)

MrEngman

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:59 pm

Bananaguns wrote:I've just downloaded ubuntu so ill try the firmware upgrade now.
Probably not necessary as the built in 8188eu driver is included and so is the required firmware file.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Bananaguns

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:39 am

pattagghiu wrote:well, in the first block you have to change yyzz to the correct date..
In the second, i don't think "<--set data code for driver version above" can be in the command :)
isn't that just a comment?

Bananaguns

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:41 am

MrEngman wrote:
Bananaguns wrote:I've just downloaded ubuntu so ill try the firmware upgrade now.
Probably not necessary as the built in 8188eu driver is included and so is the required firmware file.

MrEngman
Maybe my adapter is just picky as It didn't work on ubuntu either. I reinstalled raspian, I'll try the firmware update and see if that sorts it out without needing the driver. Thanks a lot for your replies!

stef_mir

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:20 am

MrEngman wrote:

MrEngman
Ciao MrEngman,

Today I came into this topic to say that I was about to give up (I keep losing connection with my wifi dongle since a the built-in driver was released), then I found you answer and decided to give my dongle one last try.

your explanation is quite appreciated. Now, let us put in the round way back: I have installed both firmwares, but I want to get rid of the built-in one and keep only yours.
You posted instruction on how to keep the default one and delete yours, I want to do the reverse thing.

How may I do it?

MrEngman

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:52 am

stef_mir wrote:Ciao MrEngman,

Today I came into this topic to say that I was about to give up (I keep losing connection with my wifi dongle since a the built-in driver was released), then I found you answer and decided to give my dongle one last try.

your explanation is quite appreciated. Now, let us put in the round way back: I have installed both firmwares, but I want to get rid of the built-in one and keep only yours.
You posted instruction on how to keep the default one and delete yours, I want to do the reverse thing.

How may I do it?
To use my driver and disable the built in driver you just need to install my driver. When you run the command ./install.sh as detailed in my previous post it installs the driver file and copies a file 8188eu.conf to /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf and that file includes a line to blacklist the built in driver. This disables the built in driver and stops it loading. You do not need to do anything else to disable the built in driver.

MrEngman

uzunahmet

Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:40 pm

Is the built in driver that comes with 3.18.xx+ buggy?

Bananaguns

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:14 pm

MrEngman wrote:

MrEngman
Well after the firmware update my adapter shows in wpa_gui without opening it as root, and it worked on the first try!

Still wish I knew what finally made it work while using the instructions from the initial post.

Massi

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:31 pm

uzunahmet wrote:Is the built in driver that comes with 3.18.xx+ buggy?
i don't know if "buggy" is the right word, but for sure it isn't as good as compiled one.
and i can't understand why, neither i know if it will be "fixed" first or then

with built in driver WHEN the network works, it has poor poor signal quality.
In my case, on a raspi 1B it worked (with poor quality), while on a raspi 2B it didn't work at all (could not connect to my wifi)

uzunahmet

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:44 pm

pattagghiu wrote:
i don't know if "buggy" is the right word, but for sure it isn't as good as compiled one.

In my case, on a raspi 1B it worked (with poor quality), while on a raspi 2B it didn't work at all (could not connect to my wifi)
My Raspbian kernel reports 3.18.6-v7i-aufs #1 and with this information I can not find out the right driver.

Which driver would be suitable for this kernel?

Massi

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:30 pm

firsta page

3.18.6-v7+ #753, #754 - 8188eu-v7-20150208.tar.gz

uzunahmet

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:32 pm

pattagghiu wrote:firsta page

3.18.6-v7+ #753, #754 - 8188eu-v7-20150208.tar.gz
Thanks. I'll try...

Bananaguns

Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:00 pm

pattagghiu wrote:

Something I've noticed on the Pi2 with the kernel firmware for the 8188eu is that the WiFi signal strength is no where near accurate. Mine reads either 100% or 0% however with the compiled driver it fluctuates like you'd expect when you move the device. This may mean you don't actually have poor signal strength, it may just say so 0_o

baxbax

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:11 pm

I have installed LINUX version 3.18.7+ und my wifi dongle has the ID 0bda:8179. I will get an IPaddress but no connection to internet or SSH-terminal.

felixinx

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi,

I just did a fresh new updated installation of Rasbpian. I install the script but its not working.

Here's all the command I run after a reboot, in order.

Install driver : wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/802 ... 8188eu.tgz

tar xzf install-8188eu.tgz

./install-8188eu.sh

Edit /etc/network/interfaces ;

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface default inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "##"
wpa-psk "##"
Didn't edit /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf;

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
Trying to start wifi;
sudo ifdown wlan0

ifdown: interface wlan0 not configured
sudo ifup wlan0

Ignoring unknown interface wlan0=wlan0.
lsusb

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
uname -a

Linux raspberrypi 3.18.7+ #755 PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:14:31 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux
lsmod

Module                  Size  Used by
snd_bcm2835            21342  0
snd_pcm                93100  1 snd_bcm2835
snd_seq                61097  0
snd_seq_device          7209  1 snd_seq
snd_timer              23007  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd                    67211  5 snd_bcm2835,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device
8188eu                709203  0
joydev                  9766  0
evdev                  11000  3
uio_pdrv_genirq         3666  0
uio                     9897  1 uio_pdrv_genirq
ifconfig -a

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:ad:41:4b
          inet addr:192.168.1.138  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1197 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1131 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:79614 (77.7 KiB)  TX bytes:163154 (159.3 KiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 14:cc:20:20:48:7d
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan (my cell);

Cell 07 - Address: C8:D7:19:27:0D:17
                    ESSID:"FelixINX2.4"
                    Protocol:IEEE 802.11bgn
                    Mode:Master
                    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:144 Mb/s
                    Extra:rsn_ie=30140100000fac040100000fac040100000fac020000
                    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
                        Group Cipher : CCMP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                    IE: Unknown: DD780050F204104A0001101044000102103B000103104700104D9120C0C36AE7C397892A37CF9D3EAB102100074C696E6B73797310230003574150102400033132331042000531323334351054000800060050F20400011011000A436973636F313231363110080002200C103C0001011049000600372A000120
                    Quality=0/100  Signal level=89/100
                    Extra:fm=0003
And its still dosen't work...
Thanks

MrEngman

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:47 am

felixinx wrote:Hi,

I just did a fresh new updated installation of Rasbpian. I install the script but its not working.

Here's all the command I run after a reboot, in order.

Install driver : wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/802 ... 8188eu.tgz

tar xzf install-8188eu.tgz

./install-8188eu.sh

Edit /etc/network/interfaces ;

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface default inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "##"
wpa-psk "##"
And its still dosen't work...
Thanks
Change the line iface default inet dhcp in file /etc/network/interfaces. It should be iface wlan0 inet dhcp

MrEngman

MrEngman

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:53 am

baxbax wrote:I have installed LINUX version 3.18.7+ und my wifi dongle has the ID 0bda:8179. I will get an IPaddress but no connection to internet or SSH-terminal.
Try the command

sudo ifup --force wlan0
and see if that helps.

If you have installed the wifi with a wired internet connection and then disconnected the wired internet, the wifi can show an IP address but may not have an internet connection. The other solution is to reboot your Pi with just the wifi module connected to the Pi.

MrEngman

saytinh

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:15 am

Hi MrEngman,

I did follow your instructions for my Rpi2 (installed from Raspbian image, 3.18.7-v7+ #755). And make sure that downloaded the right driver 20150212.tar.gz

My issue is after command "insmod", I just get an error "Invalid module format"

What should I do now. I'm a newbie, please help me as detail as possible. 

Thanks !

MrEngman

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:37 pm

saytinh wrote:Hi MrEngman,

I did follow your instructions for my Rpi2 (installed from Raspbian image, 3.18.7-v7+ #755). And make sure that downloaded the right driver 20150212.tar.gz

My issue is after command "insmod", I just get an error "Invalid module format"

What should I do now. I'm a newbie, please help me as detail as possible. 

Thanks !
Hi,

Just checked the driver and it loads OK.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct version of the driver. There is one for Pi with kernel 3.18.7+ #755, 8188eu-20150212.tar.gz, and a different one for Pi 2 with kernel 3.18.7-v7+ #755, 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz.

MrEngman

Massi

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:39 pm

MrEngman wrote:Are you sure you downloaded the correct version of the driver. There is one for Pi with kernel 3.18.7+ #755, 8188eu-20150212.tar.gz, and a different one for Pi 2 with kernel 3.18.7-v7+ #755, 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz.
Yes, i think you should separate different drivers in different blocks in the first post, i'm quite sure a lot of people is trying to install rpi1 driver on rpi2 and giving all the fault to the dongle or to you :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”