User avatar
ilovemipi
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:52 am
Location: UK + Cyprus
Contact: Website

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:07 pm

aimc wrote:(dongle model: TL-wn723n ; latest rpi firmware according to command "sudo rpi-update")

I have tested the one-liner provided by MrEngman: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 71#p675971
It worked for my latest RPI B+ model, but didn't for my RPI B (old model)

So i tested this solution by fgimenez on my RPI B model and worked:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 57#p694457

................................................................

For starters / noobs:


This is what i did for making fgimenez solution work:
1- with Filezilla or any other ftp transfer program, i added my rpi , using sftp protocol instead of ftp
2- opening the connection with Filezilla, i pasted the folders from 8188eu-v4.1.8_9499-kernel_3.18.7.tar to my RPI home folder (they are called "etc" and "lib" )
3- Then log to your RPI, open a terminal, and write:
cp -rp ~/etc/* /etc/
cp -rp ~/lib/* /lib/
3- On the raspberry pi, after pasting the folders with above lines, write this:
sudo insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo depmod -a
sudo reboot


4- done. USB WIFI dongle should work now.
Thanks for this, it got me up and running on the cut down Kodi version of Raspbian produced by Michael Gorven. I have it running as 3.18.7+ #755 but it is not a full Raspbian release.
I believe Michael still uses the old persistent rules so the dongle came up as wlan3. Added wlan3 to /etc/network/interfaces and changed the whitelisting to remove eth*, ra* and wlan* but it still runs as wlan3.

Mr Engman is there something else I need to do to remove the wlan3?

User avatar
ilovemipi
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:52 am
Location: UK + Cyprus
Contact: Website

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:31 pm

Tried an identical dongle to see if the MAC address would come up as wlan0 but this one is coming up as wlan2. Doesn't look like the whitelisting changes in /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules are working for me.

MrEngman
Posts: 3835
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:36 pm

ilovemipi wrote:
Thanks for this, it got me up and running on the cut down Kodi version of Raspbian produced by Michael Gorven. I have it running as 3.18.7+ #755 but it is not a full Raspbian release.
I believe Michael still uses the old persistent rules so the dongle came up as wlan3. Added wlan3 to /etc/network/interfaces and changed the whitelisting to remove eth*, ra* and wlan* but it still runs as wlan3.

Mr Engman is there something else I need to do to remove the wlan3?
Check out directory /etc/udev/rules.d. You should find a file 70-persistent-net.rules. Check it's contents and I would expect you will find a reference to wlan3 with the MAC address of your wifi dongle.

Delete the file and reboot and I would expect your wifi to then come up as wlan0.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

User avatar
ilovemipi
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:52 am
Location: UK + Cyprus
Contact: Website

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks MrEngman that has got it back to wlan0.

MrEngman
Posts: 3835
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi ilovemipi,

An explanation of what is happening.

The files in directory /lib/udev/rules.d are the rules for generating the files that then control the devices names. The files that control device names, wlan* or whatever, are stored in directory /etc/udev/rules.d. If there are already files in directory /etc/udev/rules.d then changing files in /lib/udev/rules.d will generally not make any difference to the device names you see. To change device names you need to edit or delete the files in directory /etc/udev/rules. The easiest solution is to just delete the files as needed and then reboot.

Hope that explains what you have been seeing with your wlan* names.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

User avatar
ilovemipi
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:52 am
Location: UK + Cyprus
Contact: Website

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:02 pm

MrEngman wrote:Hi ilovemipi,

An explanation of what is happening.

The files in directory /lib/udev/rules.d are the rules for generating the files that then control the devices names. The files that control device names, wlan* or whatever, are stored in directory /etc/udev/rules.d. If there are already files in directory /etc/udev/rules.d then changing files in /lib/udev/rules.d will generally not make any difference to the device names you see. To change device names you need to edit or delete the files in directory /etc/udev/rules. The easiest solution is to just delete the files as needed and then reboot.

Hope that explains what you have been seeing with your wlan* names.


MrEngman
I think I follow that.

One 'final' question. Most of my work is done via WiFi but sometimes via eth0.
If I have auto eth0 in interfaces it spends around 20 seconds looking for eth0 each time I reboot without eth0. I am loathe to remove auto eth0 in case it fails to see eth0 when I occassionally use eth0 but it is annoying waiting so long on each reboot. Is there any setting in interfaces or elsewhere that I can change to stop this irritation?

MrEngman
Posts: 3835
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:22 pm

ilovemipi wrote:
MrEngman wrote:Hi ilovemipi,

An explanation of what is happening.

The files in directory /lib/udev/rules.d are the rules for generating the files that then control the devices names. The files that control device names, wlan* or whatever, are stored in directory /etc/udev/rules.d. If there are already files in directory /etc/udev/rules.d then changing files in /lib/udev/rules.d will generally not make any difference to the device names you see. To change device names you need to edit or delete the files in directory /etc/udev/rules. The easiest solution is to just delete the files as needed and then reboot.

Hope that explains what you have been seeing with your wlan* names.


MrEngman
I think I follow that.

One 'final' question. Most of my work is done via WiFi but sometimes via eth0.
If I have auto eth0 in interfaces it spends around 20 seconds looking for eth0 each time I reboot without eth0. I am loathe to remove auto eth0 in case it fails to see eth0 when I occassionally use eth0 but it is annoying waiting so long on each reboot. Is there any setting in interfaces or elsewhere that I can change to stop this irritation?
I don't have auto eth0 in any of my SD cards. I think that requirement was removed maybe 2 yrs ago. If I connect eth without auto eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces I have no problems getting an ethernet connection.

I think it should be quite safe to remove auto eth0.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

fgimenez
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 4:54 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:05 am

MrEngman wrote: I downloaded your files and tried compiling your version of v4.1.8_9499, with gcc 4.8.3 on a Pi 2. It came up with some warnings
MrEngman
Thanks for the tip.
I didn't see any warning on my Pi (B model) with gcc 4.8.2 but I'll keep your patch handy :)

abovebeyond
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:04 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:34 pm

hey , got my pi2
trying to install on 3.18.5

im not good at linux

please help me with install & configure the dongle

thanks !

Gruber
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:55 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:13 pm

Hi abovebeyond,

You are at the right place to get your pi2 thingy going. These people will get you sorted in no time.
I will start:

In the GUI (raspbian)

Open a terminal and copy/paste these two commands

Code: Select all

sudo wget https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/raw/c83976d1dfb4793893158461430261562b3a5bf0/rtl8188eufw.bin -O /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin

sudo reboot
When up and running again check the Preferences/Wifi configuration for wlan0

If you can get the wlan0 entry you are almost there. ;)

//G

KeV.1
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi

I've a problem, I used my USB Wifi dongle during many days but yesterday after an "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade", I can't connect because when I use the "Wifi configuration" in the graphical user interface, the filelds are empty.

However if I do an "iwlist scan" I can see th wifi network.

Do you undestand why ?

I've a Raspi2 and I'm in 3.18.7-v7+ .

smartmeister
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:42 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:28 pm

@Kev.1 : could you post the result of :

Code: Select all

sudo iwconfig wlan0
cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

THJ
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:25 pm

Gruber wrote:Hi abovebeyond,

You are at the right place to get your pi2 thingy going. These people will get you sorted in no time.
I will start:

In the GUI (raspbian)

Open a terminal and copy/paste these two commands

Code: Select all

sudo wget https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/raw/c83976d1dfb4793893158461430261562b3a5bf0/rtl8188eufw.bin -O /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin

sudo reboot
When up and running again check the Preferences/Wifi configuration for wlan0

If you can get the wlan0 entry you are almost there. ;)

//G
Hi!
Maybe this is a stupid question but can I use the same commands that you listed above when running version 3.18.7-v7+ #756 ? It's a RPi 2/B and a TLWN725N V2 dongle.
I have connected the dongle to the RPi2 but it doesnt show with the 'lsusb'-command. Must the driver be on the RPi2 before I connect the Wifi-device?
I am a complete beginner and I am totally lost here.
It would be great with a step-by-step instruction for complete Dummies... :oops:
I', sure the answers are in this thread but there are 537 posts to search....

/Thomas

Massi
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 pm
Location: Italy

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:31 pm

THJ wrote:Hi!
Maybe this is a stupid question but can I use the same commands that you listed above when running version 3.18.7-v7+ #756 ? It's a RPi 2/B and a TLWN725N V2 dongle.
I have connected the dongle to the RPi2 but it doesnt show with the 'lsusb'-command. Must the driver be on the RPi2 before I connect the Wifi-device?
I am a complete beginner and I am totally lost here.
It would be great with a step-by-step instruction for complete Dummies... :oops:
I', sure the answers are in this thread but there are 537 posts to search....

/Thomas
as far as i've understood, from 3.18 firmware the module for our dongle is in the kernel itself, so it's enough to get the firmware file linked here above
(in fact, i just upgraded from 3.18.5 to 3.18.7 and i didn't touch anything for my wifi network.

But

if you read last 3 pages, you'll see that embedded module are far from perfect so someone compiled also drivers for 3.18 kernel.

THJ
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:29 pm

I got a little bit further, the wifi connects and stays connected as long as the ethernet cable is connected but when I disconnect the cable I get an error message from TightVNC (?) that says "Failed to recv data from socket". What that means, I have no idea about... I think I'll have a little nap and then I'll start reading...
/T

KeV.1
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:17 pm

smartmeister wrote:@Kev.1 : could you post the result of :

Code: Select all

sudo iwconfig wlan0
cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Hi, this is the results

sudo iwconfig wlan :
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"PERSO" Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 68:15:90:32:9B:18
Bit Rate:72.2 Mb/s Sensitivity:0/0
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:****-****-****-****-****-****-****-**** Security mode:open
Power Management:off
Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=36/100 Noise level=0/100
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

cat /etc/network/interfaces :
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.22
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
wpa-ssid "PERSO"
wpa-psk "EE3475FBT5E1453RF9345DFA74"


cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf :
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
ssid="u-groupb-wifi"
key_mgmt=NONE
auth_alg=OPEN
}

smartmeister
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:42 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Here's my suggestions :

1/ First shutdown your wireless interface

Code: Select all

sudo /sbin/ifdown wlan0
1/ Edit your /etc/network/interfaces
then delete everything and paste those lines inside :

Code: Select all

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

#auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.22
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
#wpa-ssid "PERSO"
#wpa-psk "EE3475FBT5E1453RF9345DFA74"
2/edit your /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
delete everything and paste the following lines instead :

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

#network={
#       ssid="u-groupb-wifi"
#        key_mgmt=NONE
#       auth_alg=OPEN
#}

network={
        ssid="PERSO"
        psk="EE3475FBT5E1453RF9345DFA74"
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=TKIP
        auth_alg=OPEN
}
3/ restart the wireless interface:

Code: Select all

sudo /sbin/ifup wlan0

KeV.1
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately my problem is still present.

THJ
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:00 pm

KeV.1 wrote:Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately my problem is still present.
You're not alone... :cry:

MrEngman
Posts: 3835
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:05 pm

KeV.1 wrote:Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately my problem is still present.
So what is your problem?

The output from iwconfig you posted shows your wifi is connected to your wifi network.

What is the output from command ifconfig.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman
Posts: 3835
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:11 pm

KeV.1 wrote:Hi

I've a problem, I used my USB Wifi dongle during many days but yesterday after an "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade", I can't connect because when I use the "Wifi configuration" in the graphical user interface, the filelds are empty.

However if I do an "iwlist scan" I can see th wifi network.

Do you undestand why ?

I've a Raspi2 and I'm in 3.18.7-v7+ .
The Wifi Config GUI probably doesn't work because the set up for /etc/network/interfaces has been changed from the default set up.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

KeV.1
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:31 am

Hello

In fact I resolved my problem with the Alecfoy's method.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 3&start=25

Anyway thank a lot for your answers :)

THJ
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:26 pm

I have RPi2/B with a TL-WN725N V2 dongle which I try to get working without the ethernet cable.

I have come as far as this (from the wpa-gui):
Status: Completed (station)
Last message: WPA: Group rekeying completed with 00:1c
Authentication: WPA2-PSK
Encryption: TKIP
SSID: MySSID
BSSID: 00:1c:f0:70:fd:78
IP address: 192.168.0.177

It seems pretty ok, but obviously it is not (there is an error code?), when I disconnect the ethernet cable, there is no wifi connected and it all stops.
I realise that I'm missing something but I don't know what? I'm sure somebody out there knows and probably the answer is somewhere in this thread, but as I am a beginner I don't know what to look for and if i knew, I wouldn't understand it, anyway.
Is there anyone who has a solution that can be explained to a beginner?
/T
Edit:
I tried another router, and now it is like:
Status: Completed (station)
Last message: -Connection to 00:22:07:2e:65:c6 comple
Authentication: WPA2-PSK
Encryption: TKIP
SSID: MySSID2
BSSID: 00:22:07:2e:65:c6
IP address: 192.168.1.5


But the eth-cable can't be removed...
Last edited by THJ on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrEngman
Posts: 3835
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:13 pm

THJ wrote:I have RPi2/B with a TL-WN725N V2 dongle which I try to get working without the ethernet cable.

I have come as far as this (from the wpa-gui):

Status: Completed (station)
Last message: WPA: Group rekeying completed with 00:1c
Authentication: WPA2-PSK
Encryption: TKIP
SSID: MySSID
BSSID: 00:1c:f0:70:fd:78
IP address: 192.168.0.177


It seems pretty ok, but obviously it is not (there is an error code?), when I disconnect the ethernet cable, there is no wifi connected and it all stops.
I realise that I'm missing something but I don't know what? I'm sure somebody out there knows and probably the answer is somewhere in this thread, but as I am a beginner I don't know what to look for and if i knew, I wouldn't understand it, anyway.
Is there anyone who has a solution that can be explained to a beginner?
/T
If you have the ethernet cable connected with the wifi also connected the wifi will usually share the ethernet cables connection for data transfers to the internet. Then if you disconnect the ethernet cable even when the wifi is connected to your network you will not get a connection to the internet and your wifi connection will appear not to work, although what I have seen is the wifi appears to not work but after a short time the wifi network connection starts working but there is no connection to the internet.

The simplest solution is probably - before disconnecting the ethernet cable shut down the Pi, then disconnect the cable, then restart the Pi. .


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

THJ
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:17 pm

MrEngman wrote:If you have the ethernet cable connected with the wifi also connected the wifi will usually share the ethernet cables connection for data transfers to the internet. Then if you disconnect the ethernet cable even when the wifi is connected to your network you will not get a connection to the internet and your wifi connection will appear not to work, although what I have seen is the wifi appears to not work but after a short time the wifi network connection starts working but there is no connection to the internet.

The simplest solution is probably - before disconnecting the ethernet cable shut down the Pi, then disconnect the cable, then restart the Pi. .


MrEngman
Thank you!
Now it works. But not until I remembered that I had changed to another router and therefore also had to change the ip-address when I start the SSH... Yes I am a true beginner... :oops:

/T

Return to “Troubleshooting”