christiantf

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.36+

Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:03 pm

As this thread is now a 550+ posts thread, could anybody provide an easy "all-in-one" installation guide for the TL-WN725N V2 and V2.1.
Using latest Raspbian 2.2015 image from 2015-02-16 with kernel 3.18.7+, plugging in the stick, the Raspberry immedately crashes and slows down extremely, so it does not come to a logon prompt anymore.

So a working driver still seems not to be included yet.

Possibly someone can create a new thread with a simple installation guide.

Thank you very very much!
Christian

pablot

Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:51 am

The slow performance mentioned, seems to be from the NOOBS 1.3.x installation, I've had the same problem, and installed from NOOBS 1.4 and everything worked normally.

Regarding the driver, the compiled driver worked for me, but it justs get to 54Mb speed and does not get up to 150Mb, just 54Mb.

Anyone have a clue about this?, why this can be possible? and how to fix it?.

The same RPi and widi dongle is working great with RaspBMC and 150Mb, but with another SD card with Raspian installed from NOOBS 1.4 and the driver compiled in this thread, just get up to 54Mb.

EyesX

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:04 am

fgimenez wrote:I've tested the module that comes with the firmware and apparently it doesn't work very well.
So I compiled the one that I was using before which has proven to be very reliable: the realtek's v4.1.8_9499 module.

I've uploaded some files here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2wdCX ... VMc00/view
(click on the arrow in the top to download a tar file with the content)

8188eu-v4.1.8_9499-kernel_3.18.7.tar:
This one has the module compiled for RPI's latest kernel 3.18.7 (not RPI2, sorry).
It also has a file for /etc/modprobe.d/ to blacklist the kernel's own module and set a couple of options that gave me good results.

If you have kernel 3.18.7 and all you want is to just get the wifi dongle working, then that's the only file you need.
But if you want to be able to compile your own module in the future, keep reading :-)

v4.1.8_9499.good.tar.xz:
The sources I used. It's the realtek source configured for the RPI, with LED enabled and reduced debug logging and with a small patch to make it compile OK on newer kernels (patch based on this one: https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/c ... 0cafb0cf3f )

prepare-kernel-sources.sh:
The script I use to download kernel source and prepare it to compile modules

build.sh:
It's just because I'm too lazy to type. This one calls the prepare-kernel one and then does "make all && sudo make install"
This one has a hardcoded path which you may need to change if you want to use it.

Another source that works and is being activelly maintained can be found here: https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu

Enjoy!
Thank you fgimenez, works like a charm :D

MrEngman

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:28 am

Hi,

As so many of you are having problems with the 8188eu driver and the latest 3.18 code I have added drivers for the 3.18 code to the list in the OP. There are now two sets of drivers, one for the original versions of the Pi, Pi B+ and PI A and a second set for the new Pi 2.

The driver file includes two additional files, 8188eu.conf and install.sh. The file 8188eu.conf disables power management and blacklists the built in driver. The file install.sh is used to install the driver file 8188eu.ko and the 8188eu.conf file.

For the original Pi B, Pi B+ and Pi A install the driver with the following commands

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-2015xxyy.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-2015xxyy.tar.gz
./install.sh
For the new Pi 2 the instructions are similar but the driver tar.gz file has an additional -v7 in the name. eg.

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-v7-2015xxyy.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-v7-2015xxyy.tar.gz
./install.sh
Just make sure you select the right driver version for the Pi you are using and the code you are running.

If you already have a driver installed and want to update your kernel version using rpi-update it is possible to update the driver to keep your wifi running without needing to connect to a wired network to download the new driver. First you need to check there is a driver version available in the list in the OP for the code rpi-update will install. If there is run rpi-update and before rebooting download and install the new driver as above, then reboot and you should find your wifi will be running.

To check the kernel version rpi-update will load first look at https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/commits/master and make a note of the date and description of the latest commit. Then look at https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/commits/master and look for the commit with the same date and description. Select the button "<>" and browse the code, select "extra" and then select "uname_string" if updating an original Pi, Pi B+ or Pi A or "uname_string7" if updating a Pi B 2. "uname_string" or "uname_string7" will contain the new kernel version and build number, eg 3.18.xx+ and #yyy or 3.18.xx-v7+ and #yyy. You can then look through the driver list in the OP to check a driver version is available for the new update. If there is you can run rpi-update and then update the driver. As an example of what you need to find you can check what these values are for your current code with the command uname -rv eg.

3.18.7-v7+ #757 SMP PREEMPT Sat Feb 21 14:54:05 GMT 2015
which is my current code on my Pi B 2. The kernel version being "3.18.7-v7+" and the build number "#757".

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

atinkler

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Last night I hit a huge brick wall trying to install this adapter.

Having looked at it in the light of a new day I *think* I got close to it working.

I am not a complete noob but I've only just probably graduated out of Noob Noob into Noob :-)

What I want to do is get this working with a PI B+
I have got a card with the Picoreplayer and a card with Squeezeplug - I really don't mind what I install as long as the wifi adapter works

I got a bit confused because the Linux.org site directed me to page 18 of this forum and I wasnt sure where to start. I then went to page one and found I needed this 3.12.28+ #709, #710 - 8188eu-20140908.tar.gz

I installed and then went back to page 18 and did what was asked but when I got to:
make clean
make
sudo make install
Errors about a missing .KO or something happened so it didnt seem to complete.

Now I started to use the Picoplayer and Squeezeplug setups to try to get it working .. and things got a bit messy.

I was doing the set up while connected to LAN and now the positive things

I got the pi to find my SSID
I got WLAN 0
I got a blinking green light on the adapter
I got the config set up with my SSID and PW
I chose WPA2 (but it seemed to say in the config it was WPA)
I chose TPIK as the pairing (!?!?!? not sure if that was right)

I took out the ethernet .. No luck .. I lost SSH

I then tried to allocate the WLAN in Squeezeplug but once I activiated WLAN I lost all LAN connections to had to reinstall the Squeezeplug on that SD card.

I went back to the Picoplayer and I 'think' the ping in that set up found the WLAN but again when I removed the ethernet adapter it wouldnt connect (even after reboots)

I tried a load of other things like stopping and starting the network tools but nothing would get WLAN to take over.

I also tried the Wifi Gui (forgot the command) but it came up with unable to connect to X server or something like that.

So, here I am now, still baffled but hoping someone can tell me if I reached certain success points.

I'm going to try later with a fresh install of Squeezeplug and start from page 1 again and then 18

And one final question - on the squeezeplug set up I'm logged in as Root@Squeezeplug ..will that have any issues with the installation as a lot of the instructions are home@pi

Sorry for the ramblings of a Noob but any pointers or advise would be great.

Confused!!

MrEngman

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Hello atinkler,

I've no idea what Picoreplayer and Squeezeplug are. Had a search on the internet and found Squeezeplug 7.50 and configured an SD card. Ran through the set up and made little sense of it. Tried setting up a wifi adaptor that had the driver included but it didn't get set up for some reason.

So after finishing the set up rebooted and logged on via SSH , using a wired connection, and installed the driver for the WN725N from the list in the first post, as you found, 8188eu-20140908.tar.gz. Installed using commands

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20140908.tar.gz
tar -zxvf 8188eu-20140908.tar.gz
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo depmod -a
Then I edited file /etc/network/interfaces commenting out the last four lines in the file and adding four new lines to end up with

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "network-name"        <-- replace with you own network name
wpa-psk "network-password"     <--replace with you own network password

#allow-hotplug wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet manual
#wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
#iface default inet dhcp
I then rebooted the PI, disconnecting the network cable, and when the Pi came back up the wifi was connected. No need to go to "page 18" for what ever reason you did.

Hope this helps. By the way this was on a Pi B+.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

atinkler

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks MrEngman

I tried it again with a fresh head and it appears to work .. however the stability is terrible until I hold the device and the make contact with something on the board and then it flies

Is this likely to be a power issue?

Is it still worth updating the drivers as per your instructions?

I have a very good 2A supply which hasn't been a problem for me before on the PI B+

geoldr

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:26 pm

MrEngman wrote:Hi,

As so many of you are having problems with the 8188eu driver and the latest 3.18 code I have added drivers for the 3.18 code to the list in the OP. There are now two sets of drivers, one for the original versions of the Pi, Pi B+ and PI A and a second set for the new Pi 2.

The driver file includes two additional files, 8188eu.conf and install.sh. The file 8188eu.conf disables power management and blacklists the built in driver. The file install.sh is used to install the driver file 8188eu.ko and the 8188eu.conf file.

For the original Pi B, Pi B+ and Pi A install the driver with the following commands

./install.sh
For the new Pi 2 the instructions are similar but the driver tar.gz file has an additional -v7 in the name. eg.

./install.sh
Just make sure you select the right driver version for the Pi you are using and the code you are running.

If you already have a driver installed and want to update your kernel version using rpi-update it is possible to update the driver to keep your wifi running without needing to connect to a wired network to download the new driver. First you need to check there is a driver version available in the list in the OP for the code rpi-update will install. If there is run rpi-update and before rebooting download and install the new driver as above, then reboot and you should find your wifi will be running.

To check the kernel version rpi-update will load first look at https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/commits/master and make a note of the date and description of the latest commit. Then look at https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/commits/master and look for the commit with the same date and description. Select the button "<>" and browse the code, select "extra" and then select "uname_string" if updating an original Pi, Pi B+ or Pi A or "uname_string7" if updating a Pi B 2. "uname_string" or "uname_string7" will contain the new kernel version and build number, eg 3.18.xx+ and #yyy or 3.18.xx-v7+ and #yyy. You can then look through the driver list in the OP to check a driver version is available for the new update. If there is you can run rpi-update and then update the driver. As an example of what you need to find you can check what these values are for your current code with the command uname -rv eg.

3.18.7-v7+ #757 SMP PREEMPT Sat Feb 21 14:54:05 GMT 2015
which is my current code on my Pi B 2. The kernel version being "3.18.7-v7+" and the build number "#757".

MrEngman

I am trying to get my Pi2 WiFi working following your guide, but the dropbox links are dead... Can you reupload?

Grogdunn

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi,
in installation script can you put something like this?

# for rpi "v1"
grep ARMv6 /proc/cpuinfo &> /dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
   echo "maybe you have downloaded wrong version of driver?"
   exit 1
fi

# for rpi "v2"
grep ARMv7 /proc/cpuinfo &> /dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
   echo "maybe you have downloaded wrong version of driver?"
   exit 1
fi

ilovemipi

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:34 pm

geoldr wrote:
I am trying to get my Pi2 WiFi working following your guide, but the dropbox links are dead... Can you reupload?
Just downloaded the latest pre Pi2 and Pi2 versions. Links work ok for me.
Maybe you need your WiFi up and running to download the files (sorry just my little joke).

christiantf

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:36 pm

@MrEngman, many many many thanks! It works now!

geoldr

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:38 pm

ilovemipi wrote:
geoldr wrote:
Just downloaded the latest pre Pi2 and Pi2 versions. Links work ok for me.
Maybe you need your WiFi up and running to download the files (sorry just my little joke).
No, I am just dumb. All the links are in OP and i was copying the xx link. Works great now!

ilovemipi

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:42 pm

geoldr wrote: I am trying to get my Pi2 WiFi working following your guide, but the dropbox links are dead... Can you reupload?
I see you are new to the fourm.

When Mr WiFi, sorry Mr Engman states:

./install.sh
You have to replace the xxyy on the first 2 lines with his first post in this, detailed, thread.

So if uname -a is 755, 756 or 757 it becomes:

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
./install.sh
See you are sorted now.

MrEngman

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:53 pm

geoldr wrote:
MrEngman wrote:Hi,

./install.sh

./install.sh

MrEngman

Hi geoldr,

Are you using the right value for the download link. I have checked all the drivers and they all download OK.

You need to check the driver you need from the list in the first post and then set the correct value for the file in the download/install instructions. As an example for the latest version 3.18.7-v7+ the driver is 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz. In the install instructions the file is shown as 8188eu-v7-2015xxyy.tar.gz and you need to replace xxyy with the values in the driver name in the list of drivers, which in this example is 0212 so the download file name is 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz.

If you have used the correct value for the file name then I'm not sure what the error could be as I have tried downloading all the new 3.18.xx+ and 3.18.xx-v7+ driver files and have had no problems and they all download OK.

MrEngman

Massi

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:19 am

hello,
i've just set up my brand new raspi 2 (i also have a raspi 1 B), and i bought another WN725N.
On the raspi 1 i have a V2, and it's working (with embedded driver)
On the raspi 2, it's a v2.1. I downloaded the firmware file, as i did on raspi 1, and set up the interfaces file and wpa supplicant file exactly as the raspi 1.
Now i can see the wlan0 interface, but it never gets an ip from the dhcp server.
Is this something related to v2.1 of the dongle? or something else?
I'd like to avoid separate drivers file, since i hate havint to upgrade them at every upgrade of the firmware :)

Thanks

atinkler

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:17 am

MrEngman wrote:Hello atinkler,

I've no idea what Picoreplayer and Squeezeplug are. Had a search on the internet and found Squeezeplug 7.50 and configured an SD card. Ran through the set up and made little sense of it. Tried setting up a wifi adaptor that had the driver included but it didn't get set up for some reason.

So after finishing the set up rebooted and logged on via SSH , using a wired connection, and installed the driver for the WN725N from the list in the first post, as you found, 8188eu-20140908.tar.gz. Installed using commands

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20140908.tar.gz
tar -zxvf 8188eu-20140908.tar.gz
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo depmod -a
Then I edited file /etc/network/interfaces commenting out the last four lines in the file and adding four new lines to end up with

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

#allow-hotplug wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet manual
#iface default inet dhcp
I then rebooted the PI, disconnecting the network cable, and when the Pi came back up the wifi was connected. No need to go to "page 18" for what ever reason you did.

Hope this helps. By the way this was on a Pi B+.

MrEngman
Update - thank you so much for the above MrEngman... I gave up on Picoreplayer because of the power issue I was seeing with the adapter

I then used your step by step guide for Squeezeplug and it worked a treat!!!

Then I had to try and install a driver for a Hifiberry Amp and the first thing it asked me to do was sudo rpi-update.. and yep .. the wifi dropped out because of the new version of Linux :roll:

It was late by then so I gave it all up and will pick up again this evening.. but the good thing is IT WORKED so I can do it again (I'm sure I can!!)

Thanks for your help

Allan

Massi

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:15 pm

pattagghiu wrote:hello,
i've just set up my brand new raspi 2 (i also have a raspi 1 B), and i bought another WN725N.
On the raspi 1 i have a V2, and it's working (with embedded driver)
On the raspi 2, it's a v2.1. I downloaded the firmware file, as i did on raspi 1, and set up the interfaces file and wpa supplicant file exactly as the raspi 1.
Now i can see the wlan0 interface, but it never gets an ip from the dhcp server.
Is this something related to v2.1 of the dongle? or something else?
I'd like to avoid separate drivers file, since i hate havint to upgrade them at every upgrade of the firmware :)

Thanks
Little followup.
Raspi 1 with 3.18.7
Raspi 2 with 3.18.7

Same /etc/network/interface file
Same /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file

one WN725N V2
one WN725N V2.1

Bot raspi use kernel module (not external)
Raspi 1 works with both dongles.
Raspi 2 works with no dongle (no dhcp received). One time on ten, it receiver ip but connection is really weak with dropped packets.

Really annoying. I think i'm going to download drivers..

Edit to add:
with your driver no problem at all. Why the hell in kernel there's a so buggy module??

anhdung88

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:39 pm

Hi, could anybody tell me whether Raspberry Pi supports wifi driver for old dongle chipset like RT5370?
I have this old device http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/C ... 76081.html

Sabii

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:51 pm

Just Registered to say THANK YOU!

DrSpawn

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:00 pm

Thank you MrEngman for you work. You save a lot of time for all of us.

pepeEL

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:31 am

Hello
Firts sorry for my english.
I have a Raspebrry PI B+ and buy wifi USB carg TL-WN725N V2.1

I have a kernel:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.18.5+ #744 PREEMPT Fri Jan 30 18:19:07 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

Please help me step by step how install and configure my wifi. I try this but it dosnt work:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20150212.tar.gz
--2015-02-25 22:38:00--  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20150212.tar.gz
Translacja dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)... 54.235.105.167, 23.23.117.254, 54.243.74.238, ...
Łączenie się z dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)|54.235.105.167|:443... połączono.
Żądanie HTTP wysłano, oczekiwanie na odpowiedź... 200 OK
Długość: 320542 (313K) [application/octet-stream]
Zapis do: `8188eu-20150212.tar.gz'

100%[======================================>] 320.542      734K/s   w  0,4s

2015-02-25 22:38:13 (734 KB/s) - zapisano `8188eu-20150212.tar.gz' [320542/320542]

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ tar xzf 8188eu-20150212.tar.gz
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ./install.sh
sudo cp 8188eu.conf /etc/modprobe.d/.
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.18.7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
install: nie można utworzyć zwykłego pliku `/lib/modules/3.18.7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless': Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu
sudo depmod -a 3.18.7+
ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.18.7+: No such file or directory
FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory

Reboot to run the driver.

If you have already configured your wifi it should start up and connect to your
wireless network.

If you have not configured your wifi you will need to do that to enable the wifi.
I am beginner user.

MrEngman

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:42 pm

pepeEL wrote:Hello
Firts sorry for my english.
I have a Raspebrry PI B+ and buy wifi USB carg TL-WN725N V2.1

I have a kernel:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.18.5+ #744 PREEMPT Fri Jan 30 18:19:07 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

Please help me step by step how install and configure my wifi. I try this but it dosnt work:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20150212.tar.gz
--2015-02-25 22:38:00--  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20150212.tar.gz
Translacja dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)... 54.235.105.167, 23.23.117.254, 54.243.74.238, ...
Łączenie się z dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)|54.235.105.167|:443... połączono.
Żądanie HTTP wysłano, oczekiwanie na odpowiedź... 200 OK
Długość: 320542 (313K) [application/octet-stream]
Zapis do: `8188eu-20150212.tar.gz'

100%[======================================>] 320.542      734K/s   w  0,4s

2015-02-25 22:38:13 (734 KB/s) - zapisano `8188eu-20150212.tar.gz' [320542/320542]

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ tar xzf 8188eu-20150212.tar.gz
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ./install.sh
sudo cp 8188eu.conf /etc/modprobe.d/.
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.18.7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
install: nie można utworzyć zwykłego pliku `/lib/modules/3.18.7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless': Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu
sudo depmod -a 3.18.7+
ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.18.7+: No such file or directory
FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory

Reboot to run the driver.

If you have already configured your wifi it should start up and connect to your
wireless network.

If you have not configured your wifi you will need to do that to enable the wifi.
I am beginner user.
You need driver file 8188eu-20150130.tar.gz then use commands

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20150130.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-20150130.tar.gz
./install.sh

MrEngman

pepeEL

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:48 pm

Ok i do this and works perfect :)
Thanks

pepeEL

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Can you describe me how i must config raspberry to auto connect by wifi after restart ? Please.
When i config by wicd-curses after restart raspberry wifi not connected.

MrEngman

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm

pepeEL wrote:Can you describe me how i must config raspberry to auto connect by wifi after restart ? Please.
When i config by wicd-curses after restart raspberry wifi not connected.
I use file /etc/network/interfaces to configure the wifi. e.g. I edit file /etc/network/interfaces commenting out the last four lines in the file and adding four new lines to end up with a file that looks like

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

#allow-hotplug wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet manual
#iface default inet dhcp
and after editing the file reboot and the wifi should connect.

Hope this helps

MrEngman

Return to “Troubleshooting”