infostocksy

Watching ADVERTS at SAMBAMOBILE.COM

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:06 pm

Beginners, advanced, troubleshooting, where should this post go !
Sorry if it's in the wrong place - DOH !

So I have a 3G USB dongle with a SAMBA MOBILE SIM in it connecting and working - brilliant - not on the recommended list of dongles, but works to prove the solution / concept ! http://infostocksy.wordpress.com/digital-inclusion/

Now if I could watch SAMBA MOBILE adverts on the Raspberry Pi I could TOP UP the SAMBA MOBILE SIM and have a solution that can surf the WEB incredibly cheaply and be used as a way to encourage DIGITAL INCLUSION for those that don't have loads of cash and are still on the other side of the DIGITAL DIVIDE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIWKPCfJYks

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Steve

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Watching ADVERTS at SAMBAMOBILE.COM

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:32 pm

There's nothing on their website that I could find that said:
  1. How the adverts are supposed to be selected (I assume that's in the welcome pack.)
  2. What technology they use to display the adverts.
  3. Whether they are limited to x86 PCs.
There are a few possible reasons it might not work, from needing a HTML 5 browser to needing an x86 machine, but those are only guesses. I suggest you ask them directly -- even your post on the community forum isn't certain to get a definitive response.

infostocksy

Re: Watching ADVERTS at SAMBAMOBILE.COM

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:01 am

Many thanks, I've sent them an e-mail, it was my understanding (? naively ?) that most web video these days was either flash, but moving towards HTML 5 - does the Pi / chromium not support HTML 5 video yet ?

Automated response gives the following :-
(1) Check that you have the latest version of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari installed. Note that Samba does not yet work on Internet Explorer.
(2) If you are watching ads on a PC, check that you have the latest version of Flash Player installed, which you can download at www.sambamobile.com/downloads.
(3) If you have an ad blocker, ensure that it is disabled.
(4) If you click on an ad and you wait too long to select play, it will expire.
(5) If you try to play more than one ad at the same time (for example in different tabs or browser windows), the ads will expire. You can only watch one ad at a time.
(6) Also some of our ads are in a different format. To watch them click on the ad button, it will take you to a video page, and at the top of that page it will read “click on the preview to start the ad”. Simply click on the preview to watch the ad.

Number 4 could be tripping for the Pi ?

Thanks for the great response and support

Steve :D

Return to “Troubleshooting”