tigersoul

Transmission daemon slow and hanging

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi people!

I had a full size linux server at home before I got the pi. A full size server just chewed up too much electricity.
Transmission daemon isn't working well at my pi however. It's getting extremely slow and sluggish as soon as I add a few torrents for download. Soon enough the daemon stops responding to the client and I have to delete the downloaded torrent data and reboot to get it good enough to respond to the client again.

It's been better at times, worse at others, but it's never really been good. What's up with this? Any ideas? I'm not a linux master mind but it all seems configurated correctly.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Transmission daemon slow and hanging

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi there. Might be worth it to run top in an SSH window and see what happens when you add a torrent.
See how much ram and CPU it's using. Might also be worth it to drop the GPU memory right right down to say 32 or 16 MB (do that using sudo raspi-config).

You can also check out the syslog for anything wierd. This command will give you the last 200 lines of it;

Code: Select all

tail -n 200 /var/log/syslog

tigersoul

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:32 am

Hi!

Good idea, this is what I got after adding a torrent:

2133 pi 20 0 42500 11m 2424 S 79.8 2.7 20:51.92 transmission-da

80% cpu use initially for a while, then drops to a few % with recurring spikes of 30-40%.

Adding a second torrent is very slow, and after they both have been started, the thinclient shows the spinning wait icon EVERY update. It still functions, but it's at the verge of giving up. Adding a third torrent, the thinclient no longer gets updates and gives up.

System log during this below. Any ideas?

ps: removed torrent+data for the two torrents to relieve the system. It resulted in a connected time out in the client and other various errors envolving timeouts etc. Reconnecting a while after and it's working again, but it's clear that the remove operation made the transmission daemon so unresponsive that the client died.

EDIT: Now also tried this, no difference:

This setup worked fine for some time but resulted in frequent hangs if left running for longer periods. To solve the RaspberryPi Kernel panic issue when using transmission downloading make the following changes and reboot your RasPi:

Edit /boot/cmdline.txt and add “smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N” to it.
Edit /etc/sysctl.conf and change “vm.min_free_kbytes =16384″ (from 8MB to 16MB).

Nov 22 10:22:05 raspberrypi transmission-daemon[2133]: Saved "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/torrents/DVDR.D1-DYN.fb237ad151eff991.torrent" (bencode.c:1731)
Nov 22 10:22:05 raspberrypi transmission-daemon[2133]: DVDR.D1-DYN Queued for verification (verify.c:260)
Nov 22 10:22:05 raspberrypi transmission-daemon[2133]: DVDR.D1-DYN Verifying torrent (verify.c:218)
Nov 22 10:22:07 raspberrypi minissdpd[2184]: 4 devices removed (good-bye!)
Nov 22 10:22:07 raspberrypi minissdpd[2184]: 4 new devices added
Nov 22 10:22:51 raspberrypi transmission-daemon[2133]: Saved "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/resume/DVDR.D1-DYN.fb237ad151eff991.resume" (bencode.c:1731)
Nov 22 10:22:51 raspberrypi transmission-daemon[2133]: Saved "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/stats.json" (bencode.c:1731)
Nov 22 10:23:49 raspberrypi transmission-daemon[2133]: Saved "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/torrents/DVDR.D2-DYN.416e8e38a1d1dde0.torrent" (bencode.c:1731)
Nov 22 10:23:49 raspberrypi transmission-daemon[2133]: DVDR.D2-DYN Queued for verification (verify.c:260)
Nov 22 10:23:49 raspberrypi transmission-daemon[2133]: DVDR.D2-DYN Verifying torrent (verify.c:218)
Nov 22 10:29:02 raspberrypi transmission-daemon[2133]: Saved "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/resume/DVDR.D1-DYN.fb237ad151eff991.resume" (bencode.c:1731)
Nov 22 10:29:03 raspberrypi transmission-daemon[2133]: Saved "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/resume/DVDR.D2-DYN.416e8e38a1d1dde0.resume" (bencode.c:1731)
Nov 22 10:29:04 raspberrypi transmission-daemon[2133]: Saved "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/stats.json" (bencode.c:1731)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:16 am

Are you using a recent version of the OS and firmware?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

tigersoul

Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:20 am

Haven't updated it since I installed it a few months back, if that's considered old ;) Running an apt-get update+upgrade as I speak as I thought about that too just now.

tigersoul

Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:55 am

update+upgrade = no difference.

Tried deluged. That one works, never hangs, though it eats a constant 5% cpu even completely idle, and when downloading 2 or 3 torrents I have a constant 80% cpu use, but it never hangs.

Quinquiplica

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:52 pm

I am having this exact same issue and I'm hoping someone can help me. I tried using Deluged, but the web interface kept crashing on me and I couldn't get it to work. I need the web interface and that is why I want transmission to work.

So, I'm getting about 50kb/s download speed on transmission. When I first set it up, I was getting a full meg a second which was awesome! Then it dropped and stayed low. My PC on the same network is still able to download at 1meg a second through utorrent.

I went to this page: https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/SlowSpeeds

I checked everything there - my torrents have enough seeds, trackers are responding, upload speed isn't too high (it's low actually), and I used the tool to check if my ISP is traffic shaping my torrent data - which it's apparently not (which I assumed since I still get good speed on my PC on the same network).

I've tried seemingly everything and I still have slow ass download speeds. If anyone has any suggestions at all that might help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

atomic3

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:29 am

I love transmission and I haven't had any issues until recently.

I realized that I installed tinyproxy on my pi and removed it and now transmission is back to it's regular self.

I suggest you guys check what might be interfering with transmission.

Hope this helps.

shusain93

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:57 am

Old topic I know, but I stumbled here from Google and figured it out!

My issue was I had a block list that started out as around 100 or so blocked peers and without me knowing the maintainer was quickly adding more and more to the list. My best guess was around 1,000 per day so by the time I started to question why the response time was so awful the poor thing was checking against 392,000 rules for EVERYSINGLE PEER. The Raspberry Pi really couldn't handle it and would slow down because it was constantly checking and rechecking so all I did was uncheck the block list here

If you can still access the web interface click the wrench and choose peers. It's the last option.

lagos911

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:19 am

Hello all,
I just buy the new rasberry pi 3 b+
I have install a usb stick 64 gb (exfat format) mounted for using for downloads using transmission.
Also the mounted usb stick folder I use it throw samba to have access throw my network.
Here is the problem. When I add one torrent to the transmission the speed to the pi throw ethernet terminated every 5 seconds.
For exaple... When I try to copy a 2 gb file to my computer throw the samba without a torrent at transmission I get 11,5 mb per seconds.
When the transmission running one torrent the internet speed goes between 0 and 8 mb. Also I try to do it again throw samba from mounted folder which belong to the sd card and I get the same result. Also this problem its happens to the speed of the transmission. Torrents speed goes throw 0 and 2 mb per seconds.
I have change the gpu value from 64 to 32 but no diffrence. Also my pi is update and upgraded. And the cpu of the pi when I add a torrent its between 0 and 10 percent.
I am using ethernet and my internet speed its 50mbps.

Any ideas?

LTolledo

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Transmission was not the right system for my setup (I found it hard to install/configure) so I ditched it.

Been running Deluge for 4 months now.... on a Raspberry Pi B+ (not 3B+), speed is quite satisfactory for my needs
didnt gave me headaches... it just works fine....
File transfer speeds are quite satisfactory, even for 6GB to 9GB files.

Might give Transmission another chance, but probably on another cheap SBC I have, oh, lying around somewhere .....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

lagos911

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:34 am

LTolledo wrote:
Transmission was not the right system for my setup (I found it hard to install/configure) so I ditched it.

Been running Deluge for 4 months now.... on a Raspberry Pi B+ (not 3B+), speed is quite satisfactory for my needs

Might give Transmission another chance, but probably on another cheap SBC I have, oh, lying around somewhere .....
So this is normal?

LTolledo

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21 am

lagos911 wrote:
LTolledo wrote:

So this is normal?
Which part are you asking as "normal"?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

lagos911

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:26 am

LTolledo wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21 am
lagos911 wrote:
LTolledo wrote:

So this is normal?
Which part are you asking as "normal"?
The performance of the Raspberry Pi when Transmission downloading a torrent of 100 mb and without any cpu load cant even copy a file from samba to a terminal with full speed on a 100 mbps network.

Everybody who had install transmission to the PI have this perdormance or its just me?

So you recommend to change the torrent client?

Return to “Troubleshooting”