khisanth

SSHing to the Pi kills my internet connection!

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:37 pm

I have my Pi connected to a Virgin Superhub, my W7 PC through a powerline adaptor to the superhub. If I SSH into the Pi with Putty, I can connect fine and use it for a while, but then my PC loses internet connection.

It has an IP address, renewing it, flushing dns, restarting DHCP client, disabling and enabling the adaptor dont do anything. Only a reboot of the superhub fixes it. Other devices on the network work fine.

Anyone seen this or have any ideas where the problem lies?

DougieLawson

Re: SSHing to the Pi kills my internet connection!

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Is the RPi wired or WiFi?

What's in /etc/network/interfaces?
What's in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Are you letting your Virgin hub hand out a DHCP address to your RPi or are you trying to give it a fixed IP address?

Does your Win7 laptop have a DHCP address or a fixed IP address?
Open a windows command window and take a look with the 'ifconfig /all' command.

What else is on your network?

How many DHCP addresses are in the DHCP pool defined on your Virgin Superhub router/switch?
How long is the DHCP lease time?

My home LAN has addresses xxx.xxx.1.30 to xxx.xxx.1.70 defined in the DHCP pool (so forty devices before I get troubles).
Lease time is set to two and a half days. I've assigned static IP addresses to the things that are always ON (including my RPi).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Troubleshooting”