mpmc

DVB-T Woes

Thu May 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Hey all,

I'm trying to get Afatech DVB-T stick working on my Pi so I can use it to stream dvb-t services across my network.

I've tried a few things but so far they've failed.

Any guides to getting dvb working on the pi?

Cheers. :D

stevepdp

Re: DVB-T Woes

Thu May 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Moved to the Troubleshooting forum.

jacksonliam

Thu May 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Is it the AF9015 DVB-T USB2.0 stick? Its apparently supported since kernel 2.6.28 so should be good to go.

Are you seeing anything in /dev/dvb?

jbeale

Thu May 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Is any of this relevant? Maybe you can add to it, if you get something working...
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... VB_devices

abishur

Thu May 17, 2012 8:06 pm

I think that the R-pi is using a rather minimalistic kernel so maybe it doesn't include this feature? You might want to try to recompile the kernel and ensure that the support for the device is actually in there.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

mpmc

Thu May 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks for the reply guys.

The device is showing up but it just won't do anything with it by that I mean it wont load any firmware.
You usually see something in dmesg as to the status of the stick whether it's loaded or not.

All I see is.

Code: Select all

usb 1-1.2: new high speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=15a4, idProduct=9016
usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1.2: Product: DVB-T 2
usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Afatech

mpmc

Thu May 17, 2012 8:14 pm

abishur wrote:I think that the R-pi is using a rather minimalistic kernel so maybe it doesn't include this feature? You might want to try to recompile the kernel and ensure that the support for the device is actually in there.
I think that might be the issue, I'll have to look into it.

dukla2000

Fri May 18, 2012 12:04 am

haven't got a pi, but under SuSE linux I always have to copy the correct firmware file (something.fw) to the firmware directory. Haven't got my precise instructions handy but the error message in syslog is pretty self explanatory.
/edit/ found it
copy dvb-usb-af9015.fw to /lib/firmware/dvb-usb-af9015.fw
Daily driver: Pi3B, 64GB Samsung Evo+ @100MHz, DVB-T, onboard WiFi for internet, BT/USB dongle for KB/mouse, 250GB HDD via USB for media, Raspbian Jessie Lite with Openbox desktop.
Museum: Pi B

mpmc

Fri May 18, 2012 12:58 am

abishur wrote:I think that the R-pi is using a rather minimalistic kernel so maybe it doesn't include this feature? You might want to try to recompile the kernel and ensure that the support for the device is actually in there.
I've created my own kernel (following the guide on the elinux wiki) with dvb & I2C support, and copied the kernel modules over to the sd card, but sadly it refuses to boot :(

I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas? :cry:

jacksonliam

Fri May 18, 2012 7:34 am

mpmc wrote:I've created my own kernel (following the guide on the elinux wiki) with dvb & I2C support, and copied the kernel modules over to the sd card, but sadly it refuses to boot :(

Follow the advice above about copying firmware files, also try to just start with the debian image and build V4L on top of that http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H ... ce_Drivers

mpmc

Sun May 20, 2012 1:44 am

jacksonliam wrote:
mpmc wrote:I've created my own kernel (following the guide on the elinux wiki) with dvb & I2C support, and copied the kernel modules over to the sd card, but sadly it refuses to boot :(

Follow the advice above about copying firmware files, also try to just start with the debian image and build V4L on top of that http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H ... ce_Drivers
I've tried that previously, V4L complains that it can't find the kernel source, even after I've added the kernel source it complains about something else being missing.

I've also tried building a minimal OS install, using Qemu and the Debian net installer with my own kernel (Never built one before I got my Pi :lol: ) placed in the boot partition, the RaspberryPi just refuses to boot from it.

I've been looking on the net for guides but I've yet to find one that works.

What I'm trying to do is have a minimal debian install with DVB support and the basics.

I've also tried the Arch image which finds my DVB-T stick no issues, but If I'm honest I prefer Debian.

Any advice?

PS: My brain hurts!

mpmc

Sun May 20, 2012 9:16 am

At last!

I've finally got myself a clean Debian Wheezy/sid install (with bundled DVB support) It's taken me since er.. Wednesday.. I tell you it's been a frustrating and annoying ride just getting to this point, but I'm so glad I did it & I'm really pleased with myself for not giving up.

Memory usage is surprisingly low too.

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           184         30        154          0          4         14
-/+ buffers/cache:         11        173
Swap:          255          0        255

Woot!

funnel

Sun May 20, 2012 11:35 am

I have the same dvbt stick Afatech dvb_usb_af9015 with a Total Media In Hand remote. I'll try to get the remote to work in Openelec to control XBMC. For now I managed to compile a special version of Openelec with the option PVR=yes which compiled additional DVB drivers including the af9015 one.

It's a must to use an additional powered hub because this device draws a lot of power (gets hot after a few minutes plugged in).

At first it took me a day to figure out how to make the remote work on ubuntu 12.04 before doing it in openelec. The remote needs a different approach in lirc hardware.conf. I needed to add "rc_total_media_in_hand" under REMOTE_MODULES="".

Another trick was to do:
rmmod dvb_usb_af9015
modprobe dvb_usb_af9015 remote=3

I added this to modprobe.d/ directory to autostart with this options.

Today I'll try to make it work with Openelec XBMC, hopefully.

jacksonliam

Sun May 20, 2012 11:41 am

mpmc wrote:At last!

I've finally got myself a clean Debian Wheezy/sid install (with bundled DVB support) It's taken me since er.. Wednesday.. I tell you it's been a frustrating and annoying ride just getting to this point, but I'm so glad I did it & I'm really pleased with myself for not giving up.

Woot!
How did you get DVB build into debian? Or did you find an image someone else had built?

funnel

Sun May 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Great. I have the remote working with Openelec+XBMC. All I needed to do is create a file in Storage/.config/modprobe.d/no-af9015-remote.conf and add "options dvb_usb_af9015 remote=3" to make it autostart correctly. Nothing else is needed, it just works. It was a lot easier then on Ubuntu 12.04.

mpmc

Sun May 20, 2012 12:42 pm

jacksonliam wrote:
mpmc wrote:At last!

Woot!
How did you get DVB build into debian? Or did you find an image someone else had built?
I built the image myself using Qemu for arm, I followed Max's guide here to get the rootfs (but instead of using stable, I changed it to unstable) and followed the cross compile guide on the elinux wiki to build the kernel on my Emachines ER1402 single core nettop running Lubuntu :lol:

mpmc

Mon May 21, 2012 6:43 am

Good news everyone!

My pi is now running happily on the latest kernel image/OS I recently made. Although sadly I think I'm going to need a powered hub for the DVB-T stick like funnel suggested as I keep getting a bucket load of (XactErr without NYET/NAK/ACK) errors in dmesg when I attach my Hauppauge Nova T Stick :o.

If anyone wants to try the image I built let me know & I'll upload it.

jacksonliam

Mon May 21, 2012 10:28 am

Yes Please, I'd like to build it myself, but am trying to learn enough about openGL to get smooth MPEG2 playback so I wanna put my time into that!

poing

Mon May 21, 2012 11:32 am

+1, please upload.

mpmc

Mon May 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Hey all.

As requested I've uploaded the image, you can download it from my server.

here: http://www.markclarkstone.co.uk/

Please let me know if anyone has problems with it and I'll do my best to assist.

Mods: If this is considered advertising (it honestly isn't, there isn't anything on my site to advertise, not even adverts!) please feel free to remove it.

jacksonliam

Mon May 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks mate, your server doesn't seem to be working atm (firefox just stuck at Connecting... ) but I'll wait till it does and get it :D

-=Edit=-
Working now :) Although only getting 60kb/s - though on flaky WiFi while away from home!
Last edited by jacksonliam on Mon May 21, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

poing

Mon May 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks, downloading it now, although it seems Microsoft uses a Pi to run the Skydrive :shock:

Hopefully my Pi arrives in a while, then I can try it ;)

mpmc

Mon May 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Sorry for having to use Skydrive, I know it's not ideal but my (virtual) server only has 500GB of bandwidth per month. If I'd hosted it directly on my server I think I'd hit my limit pretty quickly.

I'll look into uploading it somewhere else too.

poing

Mon May 21, 2012 8:06 pm

It went allright, de browser just took something like two minutes to load the Skydrive page; don't know why, usually it goes pretty quick.

BTW, I have an Hauppage DVB-T stick. Will this work 'out of the box'?

mpmc

Mon May 21, 2012 8:13 pm

poing wrote:It went allright, de browser just took something like two minutes to load the Skydrive page; don't know why, usually it goes pretty quick.

BTW, I have an Hauppage DVB-T stick. Will this work 'out of the box'?
Using my image, all I had to do was copy the firmware to /lib/firmware and reboot, although I did get a load of error messages when I plugged it in directly to the Pi, I'm waiting for my powered hub.

I know skydrive is sloww and I apologise for that. :(

Return to “Troubleshooting”