koot

USB Keyboard kernel panic

Thu May 17, 2012 4:48 pm

I am unable to connect USB Keyboard to my R PI.
So far i have buy two keyboards and one powered USB HUB... always kernel panic when i connect it :(
Why its not working?

And in debian there is no sshd enabled, so i cant connect to it :(
Last edited by koot on Thu May 17, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FollowingGhosts

Re: USB Keyboard kernel panic

Thu May 17, 2012 5:07 pm

I've had the same issue, it appears to be cheap USB keyboards.
In theory, if you put your SD card into a PC and rename boot_enable_ssh.rc to boot.rc then login to your router to find the Lan IP, SSH should work once the pi boots.

abishur

Thu May 17, 2012 6:15 pm

koot wrote:I am unable to connect USB Keyboard to may R PI.
So far i have but two keyboards and one powered USB HUB... always kernel panic when i connect it :(
Why its not working?

And in debian there is no sshd enabled, so i cant connect to it :(
Sounds like either your psu isn't giving enough juice or your keyboard is trying to draw more than 100 mA.

To enable ssh, you need to change the name of the file boot_enable_ssh.rc (or something along those lines) to boot.rc. This file is located in /boot (or the fat32 partition if you're using windows)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

koot

Thu May 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Ok my ssh is working now.
On keyboard back there is 5V 40mA... still not working.

abishur

Thu May 17, 2012 7:40 pm

koot wrote:Ok my ssh is working now.
Well I'm glad I was at least halfway helpful :-)

Re-reading your original post, I realize that your issue isn't with the keyboard but with the usb hub. I have some intermittent issues with my dlink 4 port hub, every so often at boot it complains about child something or other. My guess is at this point so early on in the game the Pi isn't 100% compatible with certain USB hub chips. Beyond using a different hub (which is a super lame answer, I know :-(), if you could find out what chip the hub uses (or at least provide model/maker information) maybe someone more intelligent than me on these matters would be able to check it out. :-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

koot

Thu May 17, 2012 8:21 pm

abishur wrote:
koot wrote:Ok my ssh is working now.
Well I'm glad I was at least halfway helpful :-)

Re-reading your original post, I realize that your issue isn't with the keyboard but with the usb hub. I have some intermittent issues with my dlink 4 port hub, every so often at boot it complains about child something or other. My guess is at this point so early on in the game the Pi isn't 100% compatible with certain USB hub chips. Beyond using a different hub (which is a super lame answer, I know :-(), if you could find out what chip the hub uses (or at least provide model/maker information) maybe someone more intelligent than me on these matters would be able to check it out. :-)
No no, i got problem with keyboard. But i have been trying to connect keyboard also to usb hub... but the same problem - kernel panic.

Return to “Troubleshooting”