Raspberry_Fairy

Unstable USB external drive

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Hello, I'm trying to connect my raspberry pi to an external drive mounted in an external enclosure, it works, but not stably, somehow after a while raspbian would just tell me a new removable media was plugged in while in reality, I did nothing.

So the whole things looks like as if my external drive has been somehow disconnected and then replugged.

The external drive worked flawlessly under win7.

There were no physical force applied when this happens.

It happens randomly, sometimes immediately after the "reconnection", sometimes it happens 30 min. after last "reconnection".

I detect no sudden change in temperature in my environment.

I'm using raspbian + ntfs-3g

Is this a software problem? Because it looks like one to me, should I switch to puppy linux? I've tried it before and it was rather stable.

gkreidl

Re: Unstable USB external drive

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:38 am

Is the HD (completely) self powered? How did you connect it? Directly to an usb port or to a powered hub?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Raspberry_Fairy

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:37 am

gkreidl wrote:Is the HD (completely) self powered? How did you connect it? Directly to an usb port or to a powered hub?
Looking at the giant AC/DC converter that comes with the hdd enclosure I'd say yes, it is completely self powered.

Also, it is directly connected to the USB port of the R-Pi.

I'd bet on software problem, although it is even less likely than a hardware one.

Long_Term_Lurker

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:57 am

Looking at the giant AC/DC converter that comes with the hdd enclosure I'd say yes, it is completely self powered.
Having a PSU on an external USB hard drive doesn't mean it is completely self powered. For 3.5" drives the power supply often only provides the 12V motor power supply for the drive, the rest of the power for the drive electronics including read/write current, head positioning (possibly) and the power for the USB to SATA/PATA converter come from the USB 5V line.

Raspberry_Fairy

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:27 am

The glitch described in the op reduced significantly after a reboot, and happened again exactly when I was trying to see how the board is doing after running it long stop connected to the USB external drive, I don't know if it is a coincidence or has something to do with my input.

Raspberry_Fairy

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:17 am

The problem strike again, this time with slightly increased interval, it works now 1.5 hours or so without problem until such conditions described in the OP

As for self-powered, I'm not entirely sure now, can someone please define "entirely self-powered"

karlkiste

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:46 am

"entirely self-powered" = not drawing any power from the pi. Not for the drive itself, and not for any part of the controller or interface electronic.

Return to “Troubleshooting”