mooman1000

Re: My PI has a faulty USB port

Fri May 04, 2012 9:41 pm

So great news, arrived before the email date so all happy however.....

....plugged into tv and attached keyboard and mouse, stuck in card with debian and proceeded to fire it up, all well so logged in ran startx - mouse pointer stuck in centre of screen and no light on mouse  Swapped the devices on the usb ports so now mouse worked and keyboard did not.  Powered off and just had a look at the device and can see the power pin on the bottom usb port does not exist just a channel where it should be.

So do I now return it to farnell or live with 1 usb port or could someone from the foundation send me the usb port stack - the company I work for has the ability to remove the socket and stick on a new one.

nick.mccloud

Fri May 04, 2012 10:44 pm

The distributors are working very hard but have yet to get the wrinkles out of actually shipping them, returns may end up seeing you waiting some time for a replacement. Tough choice, if you can afford to, I'd keep it and use a hub and then replace it at a later date. Or get your own double-decker USB socket:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cab.....or-24-0344

jojopi

Sat May 05, 2012 1:16 am

mooman1000 said:

Powered off and just had a look at the device and can see the power pin on the bottom usb port does not exist just a channel where it should be.
Could you post a picture of that?  Does it just need more solder or are you somehow seeing a problem on one of the inner layers?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat May 05, 2012 7:28 am

Seconded - can you post a picture?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 05, 2012 9:10 am

jojopi said:

mooman1000 said:

Powered off and just had a look at the device and can see the power pin on the bottom usb port does not exist just a channel where it should be.

Could you post a picture of that?  Does it just need more solder or are you somehow seeing a problem on one of the inner layers?

I read that as meaning the pin did not make it into the hole and is probably folded back under the socket on the top layer.

The fastest way to get that fixed might be to do it yourself, if you can source the right socket and you have soldering,  and de-soldering, experience.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 05, 2012 9:22 am

If its just folded back, then you could de-solder the connector, fold the pin back and re-solder it. Even if the pins has broken off (quite unlikely, but it happens), its probably possible to solder a wire to the stub, and still repair it.

Its also possible that if you re-heat the hole with the non protruding pin, and add a bit of solder the pin will connect, not nice but that often works, so its worth trying that first.

P.S. because it the power pin, make sure before testing it that the added solder didn't shorten the power pin to another pin or ground, use a multimeter between the pins to make sure it didn't.

Gert van Loo

Sat May 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Unsoldering any many-pin device is very, very difficult. Not something I would recommend unless you have the right equipment. There is serious risk in damaging the tracks and would cause you to loose you are warranty.

To do it right you need to pre-heat the whole board to about 90C then with a hot air gun (or ideally with an IR torch) heat up the local connector and take it off.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Very bad idea for an amateur to re heat a board with a tiny pitch BGA chip on it with a POP RAM on top! You need a specific "oven" to do it right and on such a small board its difficult to heat it locally enough so that other parts don't fall off when you pull off the connector. Also its not that difficult to desolder an USB connector, even a two port one, using some solder wick, especially not if the connector doesn't have to come off in one piece, because you have a spare part, as the OP said:

the company I work for has the ability to remove the socket and stick on a new one.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 05, 2012 3:23 pm

I think there are two sorts of people in the world. Those that work magic with desoldering wick and those that do it with solder suckers. I've never got wick to do anything.

I certainly would not try to heat the board or use hot air unless I had equipment and training, but I would be competent with a solder-sucker and fairly certain to be successful. But there is a risk. I wouldn't recommend anyone try it unless they knew precisely what they were doing.

Anyway the first step is contacting the returns department of the distributor and asking what your options are. It might not be a long wait.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat May 05, 2012 7:25 pm

The distributors are keeping some back in case they need to swap them out for returns, so you won't be bumped to the back of the queue. Please do send it back to them - they then send it to us so we can test to find out what the problem is (and hopefully make sure it doesn't ever happen again).
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

linker3000

Sat May 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Another thought on a DIY repair:

I believe the RPi uses lead free solder (do correct me if I'm wrong) and so the same stuff should really be used for any reworking. Where this is not done (eg: in a hobbyist situation), using leaded solder is not going to be a serious problem, although mixing the two types can result in a slightly weaker bond which might be more problematic on something that takes a bit of stress like a USB port.

FWIW I am going to be fitting a new power decoupling capacitor (C6) next week because despite my careful handling it broke off! I was going to try a 470uF 10V Tantalum SMD until I saw their cost, so it's going to be another 220uF SMD electrolytic.

liz

Sat May 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Yes, it's lead-free (has to be to satisfy the RoHS standards) - but again, I don't recommend you try to fix it yourself, because you'll void your warranty.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

mooman1000

Sat May 05, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, yes it would be possible for it to be repaired where I work however it would not be me doing anything, my attempt at soldering is shocking to say the least.

Thanks for your comment Liz, I will contact Farnell on Tuesday and get it returned, was unsure how returns would be handled considering the limited availabilty of the device at the moment.

For those that are wondering what the problem is see the image below

As you can see the power pin on the bottom port is missing however there are 8 pins soldered on the pcb.

Any way hats off to a fantastic bit of kit you really do not appreciate its size (or lack of it) until you unbox it.  My 7 year old daughter was there the 1st time I powered it up on our tv and was very excited about it, now to see if she wants to use it.

bennyg

Tue May 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Mine has a faulty bottom USB too

Mine seems to have a pin missing see second along on the bottom row.

mooman1000

Tue May 08, 2012 2:43 pm

I have spoken to element14 (get a national number from saynoto0870), the person I spoke to was not sure how to handle a returns due to the limited stock of this item so took my number and is supposed to be getting back to me, that was 4 hours ago.

OK farnell just called back, sending a replacement today and arranging a pickup for the faulty device, that is what you call service  The lady on the other end said they have a batch held aside for situations like this which backs up what Liz said the other day.

bennyg

Tue May 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Ah I did a returns online but not had anything back yet, I ordered from Farnell too. Will ring them tomorrow.

max1zzz

Tue May 08, 2012 4:02 pm

same problem here   pin has not gone through the hole, for people who have had this problem, when are they comeing to pick it up? i am happy to return it as long a i can keep my one i have now until i get a replacement

EDIT: Rang farnell and was asked to email them, no reply yet. And has anyone tried to desolder the usb port on a faulty Pi? i tried to desolder one from a motherboard and had no luck

EDIT 2: Rang again, same response bugs me that they won't just replace mine as they have done with others

Steady_Bear

Tue May 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Be more assertive with Farnell - but keep it very POLITE Vinegar, honey, flies etc.

There is a good chance the person on the phone doesn't have a clue how to handle it.

Tell them what the problem is with the device (poor soldering / parts not properly attached) explain that you have been informed that Farnell have reserved some boards for this situation, please could you have a returns address and RMA (returns) number.

If they still ask you to deal through email you'll need to be patient. But, please do be patient. You are one in a long list of things Farnell need to deal with - vast majority of which is not Pi related and they are probably dealing with high value customers.

I'm saying this based on my experience of dealing with companies like this, this does NOT come from the foundation.
Also, pester them every day and they'll finally give up and help you

mooman1000

Tue May 08, 2012 6:42 pm

My original post was just to say I had a faulty unit and if it was returned where in the system would I be placed to get a replacement.  Liz pointed out they (distributors) had kept some back just in case, so called up element14 - was going to do it via their website but thought phone would be the best.

Called up and then put through to someone who initially said may have a problem in replacing due to the demand, at this point I held my tongue and didn't mention they should have some kept back just in case, and she took my account details and phone number and would call back when she found out more.  So fast forward nearly 5 hours and got a call, she explained yes have kept some back and would send one out straight away (already have the email saying it has shipped) and arrange for the other to be picked up so gave me an rma number to put on the packet.  So depending on how fast it gets there and the old one gets picked up you may have 2 for a couple of days, although mine is packed ready to be picked up.

I would like to say a big thanks to element14 and a certain lady at the other end who made this easy to sort out, sorry to hear others are not having the same luck.

Gert van Loo

Tue May 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Thank you for those pictures.

I have an idea about a potential test hole with the first picture:
Would it be possible they test with ONE piece of equipment connected which connects to BOTH USB ports? So as long as there is power from one port the equipment will work and not detect an error from the missing second supply?

Or it may have been a dodgy pin which sheared off when they remove the test connector. Very difficult to protect against that.

I do not see how the second error, the one with a missing signal pint, got past the test. Maybe if the test cable is under just the right angle the folded pin just happened to make contact.

I might see those two boards on my desk soon.

max1zzz

Tue May 08, 2012 7:59 pm

should probably say that i have fixed mine now, without removing the hole port, what i did is remove the back of the usb connector and push a very thin piece of solid core wire under the contact and then solder that to the pad where the missing pin should go (i should also note that i very carefully checked that the pin which i assume is bent under the connector isn't shorting to anything else) i don't recommend anyone else tries this (and if you do i'm not responsible if you fry your Pi) but it works for me

mooman1000

Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Gert said:

Would it be possible they test with ONE piece of equipment connected which connects to BOTH USB ports? So as long as there is power from one port the equipment will work and not detect an error from the missing second supply?

Or it may have been a dodgy pin which sheared off when they remove the test connector. Very difficult to protect against that.

It was definitely faulty out of the box as from the moment it was powered up no device worked in it and I did not notice any sliver of metal lying around when packing it away.

bennyg

Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 am

Gert said:

I do not see how the second error, the one with a missing signal pint, got past the test. Maybe if the test cable is under just the right angle the folded pin just happened to make contact.

Ive still had no luck with Farnell. Will try ring them again later.

I can remove the USB port as we have a full solder station here at work but not sure how that would work with the warranty if it goes faulty?

jamesh

Wed May 09, 2012 8:28 am

You will void your warranty. Much better to get it replaced by Farnell.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

bennyg

Wed May 09, 2012 8:39 am

JamesH said:

You will void your warranty. Much better to get it replaced by Farnell.

No problem. Will keep trying them.

Return to “Troubleshooting”