Tursiops

How to format SD Card after crash

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:42 pm

I have had recent crashes on my SD cards :cry: and I am wondering how to format the crashed card to use for rewriting the backup image? I am asking this because a normal Windows format gives me again corrupted or not usable image (when rewritten) with Win32iskImager :roll:

Thanks for advise.
Jaap

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: How to format SD Card after crash

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:53 pm

download and use this sd card formatter

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/s ... index.html

itimpi

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:41 pm

If you are using win32diskimager then you should not need to reformat the SD card. Writing a new image to the SD card will overwrite the existing contents regardless of whether you reformat or not.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:47 pm

itimpi wrote:If you are using win32diskimager then you should not need to reformat the SD card. Writing a new image to the SD card will overwrite the existing contents regardless of whether you reformat or not.
ITYM:
If you are using 'dd' then you should not need to reformat the SD card...
AIUI, the problems ensue when the user is Windows-bound, and uses Windows-based tools on an already-partitioned-for-The-Pi SD card. The Windows-bases tools get itchy and only work with the visible partition (I.e., act for all the world as if the card is a 57M card). Hence, the frequent advice given to use the "SD Card Association tool" to ensure a clean start.

Of course, if you are using Unix/Linux/MacOSX and can use 'dd', then this is all a non-issue.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Return to “Troubleshooting”