remaker

Dead Pi after DVI/HDMI connection

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:59 pm

I used a DVI to HDMI adapter from eBay which I thought would be a useful way to allow me to connect the RPi to a DVI monitor in my lab.

Item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350774023566

However, when I plugged it in, it did not work. And now my RPi does not boot at all.

I have the red light and the very dim green light when power is applied. Tried with several power supplies. SD card was working before attaching the adapter, and is readable in an SD card reader.

If the Polyfuse tripped, I'd have no read LED, right?

Any suggested hardware diagnosis, or did I likely fry something?

Is it expected to be a risk to attach an RPi to a DVI monitor?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Dead Pi after DVI/HDMI connection

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:09 pm

I suspect the HDMI adapter is defective and has shorted out the HDMI lines somehow, if indeed it was trying it that fried the Raspi. There should be no issues with HDMI->DVI monitors - its a passive adapter that simple passes through the signal lines.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

remaker

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:15 pm

So are there any possible board-level diagnosis or repairs that can be undertaken, or do I just scrap the RPi and buy a new one? Sure, they are cheap, but I hate to create eWaste.

jamesh

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:23 pm

I may be the main polyfuse, which can take some hours to recover, so don't give up yet.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

remaker

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Will you get the Red Led and faint green one even with a blown polyfuse? Looks like yes?

I will measure the voltage drop across the polyfuse. Would be nice if that were the issue.

drgeoff

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:36 pm

1. If you have a meter, use it as described at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems.

2. If the above checks out OK (or if you can't lay your hands on a meter), reflash the SD card and try again. I know you said it is still readable, but you have nothing to lose (except a bit of your time).

3. If still not working, carefully examine the SD card slot looking for any damage especially any that would result in one or more of the contacts between card and socket not being made.

remaker

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:01 pm

I do have a meter and thanks for that pointer. Will test and report back in about 12 hours.

IP_Header

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi,
Try to make a Backup of the SD-Card?

remaker

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:33 am

drgeoff wrote: 3. If still not working, carefully examine the SD card slot looking for any damage especially any that would result in one or more of the contacts between card and socket not being made.
I removed the Pi from its case and did all of the voltage checks, which passed with flying colo(u)rs. I burned a second SD card with an image which also did not boot, but as I plugged it in, I noticed a small sliver of plastic which fell from the SD card socket.

Sure enough: the SD card socket was damaged. When I held down the card on the contacts (not possible when it was in the case), the boot worked fine, even with the HDMI/DVI connector.

*TOTAL* wrong diagnosis on my part (facepalm).

Thanks for the tips. The NEXT question is what to do about a damaged SD card slot. Off to the forums.

THANKS for the tips! Now what next.

malakai

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:38 am

I Like this comment from http://www.techunboxed.com/2013/07/how- ... pi-sd.html

If you can't wait for the replacement slot to be shipped, that's an instant fix: cut a 17mm x 5mm piece of an old credit card and glue it with superglue on the brocken bar. Be careful with the switching contacts, use the glue sparingly.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

remaker

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:45 am

Great tip! That is EXACTLY how my card broke. Lots of good tips out there; a common failure mode.

Hopefully the RPi gurus will make a more robust slot in future revisions. I will try the credit card trick before replacing the card slot itself.

And the DVI/HDMI adapter works fine!

Return to “Troubleshooting”