thorpeto

raspbmc: video played as sound

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:58 am

I have a problem with video files on my raspbmc installation. Everytime I try to play a video directly or via airplay the video is handled as sound file. I don`t get the reason which is probably a simple thing. Is it because I did not buy the mpeg codecs yet? Or do I have to change some settings?

malakai

Re: raspbmc: video played as sound

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:28 am

What is the format of the video there are some older formats that will never play on the Pi.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

thorpeto

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:09 am

I tried it with an vob and an avi file that are located on my NAS. And I tried mp4 from iPad via airplay. All three were handled as they were sound files by the raspberry pi.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:21 am

malakai wrote:What is the format of the video there are some older formats that will never play on the Pi.
iOS support fewer formats than the Pi, so we should play any video that can be airplayed (*).

Most likely the app you are running doesn't support video airplay. Are you pressing airplay button on the video overlay, or are you double pressing home and going left and and acceccing airplay from there?
(The latter will be audio only).

(*) except encrypted DRMed videos bought from iTunes, or mirroring.

thorpeto

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:16 am

The videos are not encrypted and airplay on the ios device works. There is alsp data transmitted. The pi is getting the data, processing it and then starting to play. But it starts to play an audio stream whenever I run a video file or transmit a video via airplay.

YellowAnt

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:24 pm

Has anyone found out how to fix the problem?

dom

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Return to “Troubleshooting”