jerry_rigged

I got a free Pi! Catch, it an't working.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:07 am

Yea, so mmmmm. Help please?

Alright this unit doesn't appear to have any visible problems, now when I got my hands on this Pi, a friend took me back to there place and we tried a few things.

But please take a look here: (Please note I was unable to post this photo, I kept getting an error.)
Image http://postimg.org/image/b12ov1zqf/full/

First was to see what this Pi would do with just power added to it, for all testing we used a running computer's front USB port to test this unit, we also tested their Pi which has a different configuration. I do not know what there Pi was, however we also use there SD card which already had the Pi OS loaded and working.

(If you know what kind of Pi I have please share)

What we found was the Power LED a red color would light up, which showed us it was able to run on some basic level, I hope.

(I am playing with the Pi and I have found that the Yellow OK led lights up but you can barley see it, in the photo if you take a close look you can see it.)

Next, we hocked up the HDMI and installed there working SD card, the screen didn't respond, we also attempted the yellow video out and still nothing on that end.

Last we tried, a reset or something with a jumper and that didn't seem to do anything.

I'm at the point where I would like to see if the device is even responding at all, and am I right in thinking I'll need PL2303HX to get access to the Pi serial interface?
I have found one on eBay, but I am wanting to hold out until payday buy one, until then...

If anyone else can suggest anything at all that I could do to get this working, please share.

And yes one last thing, will a ZTE Travel Charger provide suitable kick to allow my Pi to run, its Output is 5v 700mA
Last edited by jerry_rigged on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm bored.

malakai

Re: I got a free Pi! Catch, it an't working.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:11 am

A PC USB typically cannot power the Pi

It needs 5v 1 Amp

Very dim OK is an issue with the Pi unable to read the SD Card I am going to have to go with your not providing enough power to initialize the card.

This should also answer the question of the power supply you mentioned your link isn't a link to an image?

This reset jumper you tried sounds dangerous and could kill your pi Never try to jumper it or allow another to jumper it unless you know what they are doing. Here is a link to the faq that may help get you started.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

jerry_rigged

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:33 am

malakai wrote:A PC USB typically cannot power the Pi

It needs 5v 1 Amp

Very dim OK is an issue with the Pi unable to read the SD Card I am going to have to go with your not providing enough power to initialize the card.

This should also answer the question of the power supply you mentioned your link isn't a link to an image?

This reset jumper you tried sounds dangerous and could kill your pi Never try to jumper it or allow another to jumper it unless you know what they are doing. Here is a link to the faq that may help get you started.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs
Sorry, I had posted the image and now it would seem it has been replace with that text, I do not know why, but I have been unable to post the photos I have taken, here is a link: http://postimg.org/image/b12ov1zqf/full/

I myself didn't try the jumper reset, the person who took me to there house, did it for me.

I do not know what version Pi I have nor do I know what they had, there was able to boot from the USB jack in the computer and mine wasn't.

Okay what I have also done is use my iPhone charger to test the device, it is 5v 1A, it still acted the same way.
I'm bored.

Lob0426

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:50 am

You have a Ver. 1.1 Model B 256MB.
0ohm resistors in place of the 140ma polyfuses.

The iPhone charger with the 5/25/13 Raspbian wheezy build, or use NOOBS to install the latest version of Raspbian Wheezy.

That will give you the best chance of seeing that board work.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

jerry_rigged

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:55 am

Lob0426 wrote:You have a Ver. 1.1 Model B 256MB.
0ohm resistors in place of the 140ma polyfuses.

The iPhone charger with the 5/25/13 Raspbian wheezy build, or use NOOBS to install the latest version of Raspbian Wheezy.

That will give you the best chance of seeing that board work.
Thanks for the version and ram, I'm going to ask, so the way the LED's are lighting up are normal for a Pi that dose not have an SD card installed?
I'm bored.

rpdom

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:01 am

Just for the record, from that picture I can tell that you have a Rev. 1 Model B with the USB polyfuse fix (F1 and F2 are links instead of fuses). That means it is quite old (for a Pi). [Ah, beaten to it :)]

I don't think the power supply is your problem. Even using a USB port from a PC should be enough to get a Pi to try to boot.

The symptom all point to either dead Pi or problem with SD card or slot.

Check the SD card slot very carefully for any signs of cracking and make sure all the contact "fingers" are clean and slightly raised. Also look for any loose connections where the card is soldered onto the board, and that the two contacts across the back of the socket touch together when the card is inserted.
jerry_rigged wrote:I'm going to ask, so the way the LED's are lighting up are normal for a Pi that dose not have an SD card installed?
Yes. The Pi will do nothing without the SD card. Just the red PWR LED.

jerry_rigged

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:09 am

rpdom wrote:Just for the record, from that picture I can tell that you have a Rev. 1 Model B with the USB polyfuse fix (F1 and F2 are links instead of fuses). That means it is quite old (for a Pi). [Ah, beaten to it :)]
I am not questioning you on the details provided, thanks for those.
rpdom wrote:
The symptom all point to either dead Pi or problem with SD card or slot.

Check the SD card slot very carefully for any signs of cracking and make sure all the contact "fingers" are clean and slightly raised. Also look for any loose connections where the card is soldered onto the board, and that the two contacts across the back of the socket touch together when the card is inserted.
jerry_rigged wrote:I'm going to ask, so the way the LED's are lighting up are normal for a Pi that dose not have an SD card installed?
Yes. The Pi will do nothing without the SD card. Just the red PWR LED.
Should the Okay green led, be lit up, just lightly, like the size of a pin whole in paper?

Right now I am downloading the OS.

From what I can see there doesn't appear to be any damage to any of the SD connecters.
I'm bored.

rpdom

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:48 am

jerry_rigged wrote:Should the Okay green led, be lit up, just lightly, like the size of a pin whole in paper?
Yes. Without the bootcode on the SD card loaded, the ACT LED hasn't been set up so the inteface that drives it will leak enough current to let it to glow faintly, but not force it on or off.

jerry_rigged

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:54 am

rpdom wrote:
jerry_rigged wrote:Should the Okay green led, be lit up, just lightly, like the size of a pin whole in paper?
Yes. Without the bootcode on the SD card loaded, the ACT LED hasn't been set up so the inteface that drives it will leak enough current to let it to glow faintly, but not force it on or off.
Okay thanks, at least I know that is normal.

Okay, so after downloading the OS, running a Check sum formatting the SD card and installing Noobs, nothing the Pi isn't working.

I am unsure of the amount of history with the device, the first owner knew this Pi wasn't working and i do not know what he has done to try and fix it.

So, I'll ask this again, will getting a PL2303HX allow me to see what is going on in the background, if anything at all?

Or is there another thing I can try to get it too boot?
I'm bored.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:32 am

jerry_rigged wrote:
rpdom wrote:
Okay thanks, at least I know that is normal.

Okay, so after downloading the OS, running a Check sum formatting the SD card and installing Noobs, nothing the Pi isn't working.

I am unsure of the amount of history with the device, the first owner knew this Pi wasn't working and i do not know what he has done to try and fix it.

So, I'll ask this again, will getting a PL2303HX allow me to see what is going on in the background, if anything at all?

Or is there another thing I can try to get it too boot?
So the previous owner couldn't get it to work either?

Probably broken in that case. And usually not much you can do to fix them. Check the SD card slot hasn't got any bent pins, ensure you are using a decent power supply.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jerry_rigged

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:55 am

jamesh wrote:

Probably broken in that case. And usually not much you can do to fix them. Check the SD card slot hasn't got any bent pins, ensure you are using a decent power supply.
Yes, I know I have checked the SD slot, more times I care to count.

I have been using both an iPhone charger and my ZTE Travel Charger which its output is 5v 700mA.

Whats getting me is nobody is answering my question about accessing the Pi through serial and if the PL2303HX will allow me to do that.
I'm bored.

jamesh

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:02 am

jerry_rigged wrote:
jamesh wrote:

I have been using both an iPhone charger and my ZTE Travel Charger which its output is 5v 700mA.

What's getting me is nobody is answering my question about accessing the Pi through serial and if the PL2303HX will allow me to do that.
It's not even booting, so serial comms won't work. No idea what a PL2303HX is. You can get serial comms over the GPIO pins, I've never done it so no idea how. Not sure any extra HW is needed.

Possible reason for no answers to your question is that no-one knows the answer to your question.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

mikerr

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:06 am

my question about accessing the Pi through serial and if the PL2303HX will allow me to do that.
A serial usb adaptor like that will only work AFTER it has started to boot from the SD card.

You won't get anywhere unless the pi can read from a properly imaged SD card.

SteveSpencer

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:07 am

No idea what a PL2303HX is.
It's a USB serial device, so the OP is asking if he can connect one to TX/RX/Gnd and see what comes out of ttyAMA0 during the start-up. Which, as you rightfully point out, won't help, since it doesn't get as far as reading cmdline.txt

Steve
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

jerry_rigged

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:10 am

jamesh wrote:
jerry_rigged wrote:
jamesh wrote:

What's getting me is nobody is answering my question about accessing the Pi through serial and if the PL2303HX will allow me to do that.
It's not even booting, so serial comms won't work. No idea what a PL2303HX is. You can get serial comms over the GPIO pins, I've never done it so no idea how. Not sure any extra HW is needed.

Possible reason for no answers to your question is that no-one knows the answer to your question.
Okay, what about the polyfuse?

The side closest to the SD slot bounces between 4.99 to 5.00 v and on the far side, it goes from 5.01 to 5.02 v
I'm bored.

rpdom

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:14 am

jerry_rigged wrote:Okay, what about the polyfuse?

The side closest to the SD slot bounces between 4.99 to 5.00 v and on the far side, it goes from 5.01 to 5.02 v
That is well within the specifications. Probably a lot better than most people get. Perfect, really.

jerry_rigged

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:22 am

rpdom wrote:

That is well within the specifications. Probably a lot better than most people get. Perfect, really.
Okay, so the Pi is getting the power it needs.

Do you know of any other lower level testing?
I'm bored.

jamesh

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:02 am

Not really. Devices like this are pretty integrated, with little opportunity to test and fix at a low level.

Burngate

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:51 am

If you want to see more details of what's where on the Pi, the schematic is at http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... s-R1.0.pdf

drgeoff

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:06 am

Unplug everything from the RPi. Insert the SD card with NOOBS and apply power. Does the OK LED flash (full brightness, not dim) at all, even once very briefly?

jerry_rigged

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:14 pm

drgeoff wrote:Unplug everything from the RPi. Insert the SD card with NOOBS and apply power. Does the OK LED flash (full brightness, not dim) at all, even once very briefly?
NOOBS is what I had installed on the SD card, no the OK LED dose not flash, there is nothing.
I'm bored.

klricks

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:29 pm

rpdom wrote:

Remember if there is no current flow through a resistor then there is no voltage drop so voltage in = voltage out.
So without significant current flow, F3 could be 1M Ohms and you would read 5.00V (digital meter) either side.

For the OP: Measure the voltage of pin 1 to ground on the GPIO header. There is P1 text printed next to pin 1 or look for the pin with the square solder pad. This should be 3.3 VDC booted or not.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

jerry_rigged

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:00 am

klricks wrote:
rpdom wrote:

Remember if there is no current flow through a resistor then there is no voltage drop so voltage in = voltage out.
So without significant current flow, F3 could be 1M Ohms and you would read 5.00V (digital meter) either side.

For the OP: Measure the voltage of pin 1 to ground on the GPIO header. There is P1 text printed next to pin 1 or look for the pin with the square solder pad. This should be 3.3 VDC booted or not.
I did as you said, measuring the voltage from pin one on the GPIO header, I also tested Pin two.
Pin one was 3.27 v and pin two was 5 v
I'm bored.

Return to “Troubleshooting”