DougEdey

Overheating WiFi?!

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:40 pm

This is a weird one.. I've been using my Asus N10 wifi Dongle successfully for a while now (a few months), but that's been over a canadian winter so everything is cold. Now we're getting the summer weather (30C+) and I've noticed that the Dongle overheats and crashes the Pi.

It starts up OK, but after about 12-15mins the Pi hard freezes.

I've tried rate limiting the Wifi but it doesn't seem to reduce the heat.

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do?

malakai

Re: Overheating WiFi?!

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Not sure about it overheating hot to the touch and overheating causing it to crash are different issues. 70c for the LAN USB chip I believe is the hottest it can go 85c for the CPU at those ranges it would be too hot to touch. Likely transmissions are locking it up. Try usb hub, or download fresh image if you have a spare card and see if it exhibits the same issues.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

DougEdey

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:49 pm

I would suspected transmissions too, so I monitored the logs, nothing in there indicating any error messages.

The reason I know it's heat related is because I placed a fan next to it, and the problem went away. Not sure if it's a bad dongle or not though, so I was hoping someone else may have had similar experiences.

MaxK1

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:04 pm

Does reducing txpower help at all? iwconfig wlan0 txpower 17
As long as you can connect, try decrementing it a few dBm at a time.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

DougEdey

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Unfortunately txpower and power are both unimplemented

DougEdey

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:02 pm

After more investigation, I think it's because the dongle is connecting at 150Mbps, despite my

iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M fixed

Does anyone have any ideas?

Module is rtl8712u, not sure if there's known limitations, the iwconfig shows 150MBps, but the router says it's only at 54M

Reshurum

Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:05 am

DougEdey wrote:After more investigation, I think it's because the dongle is connecting at 150Mbps, despite my

iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M fixed

Does anyone have any ideas?

Module is rtl8712u, not sure if there's known limitations, the iwconfig shows 150MBps, but the router says it's only at 54M
Does it overheat when you do things over lan through ssh or vnc usually? Those can use a large amount of bandwidth overheating it.

Return to “Troubleshooting”