warrmr

SOLVED: :-( - My First PI wont boot

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Howdy Guys,

I have purchased my first RPi and it has arrived this morning so I set it all up and plugged it in and nothing just a lonely red light on the board.

I have done a couple of google searches and they seem to advise this is either a power problem or a bad SD card. So I have formatted the SD card that was sent with the PI and reloaded the Weezey OS version 2013-02-09. I have even tried a different SD card.

I have tested the PI with two different power adapters one rated at 5V @700mA and the one from my iPhone 5V @1A same problem. I even tried powering it from the Adafruit console cable and still nothing.

I dont have a multimeter at the moment so canot test the voltages, I have one on order to collect from Maplin this afternoon. When I do get my multimeter where do I find TP1 or has it been replaced by the mounting hole under the raspberry.

PI Powered by wall adapter

PI Powered by Adafruit cable

Iphone USB plug rated at 5V@1A

Other adapter rated 5V@700mA

Adafruit console cable
http://www.adafruit.com/products/954

Guide on how to configure and use the cable
http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-ras ... sole-cable

G+ Gallery with larger images if needed
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1158 ... 3983746177
Last edited by warrmr on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broo0ose

Re: :-( - My First PI wont boot

Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:42 pm

TP1 is marked on your photo, top right, to the left of the power connector.

drgeoff

Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:56 pm

It isn't unknown for at least one vendor to send out a RPi and a pre-written SD card that don't work together. :( Versions of OSs before about February don't work on RPi that have Hynix RAM. (Look at the writing on the square chip in the middle of the board.) See http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3534‎.

So that could explain your first failure. But not your second!

Possibly you have not rewritten the SD card properly. Maybe not following the instructions carefully enough or you card reader does not support SDHC cards (they are not the same as SD ones) or some other reason.

Put the SD card back in the card reader and back into the computer you used to rewrite it. You should see at least one drive of size around 60 Mbyte containing about 12 files. If you do not, the the card is not OK. If you do see those files, what dates do most of them have?

Edit: Looking at the more detailed versions of your photos I can see that the RAM is Samsung so the Hynix RAM issue I mention above would not apply.

Does the ACT LED (green) flash at all - even once very briefly - when you apply power?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:15 pm

warrmr wrote: ...
I have tested the PI with two different power adapters one rated at 5V @700mA and the one from my iPhone 5V @1A same problem. I even tried powering it from the Adafruit console cable and still nothing.
W.r.t. the Apple iPhone charger - I've measured the loading characteristics of one of those (http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... dPSUs.html) and on that basis I would say that, like the 700mA supply it's "marginal" for use with a Pi, and would be made worse if you use it with a USB cable of any length (eg. >30 cm).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

warrmr

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks Guys,

I will try to answer all of your questions regarding my setup, I did not manage to pick up a Multimeter today as Maplins was shut by the time I left my mums this evening.

The USB cable I am using is quite a long one, its one of the 2meter noodle cables from modmypi.com
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi-ac ... -usb-cable

This is the SD card that I have used
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi-ac ... n-linux-os

But have formatted it and reinstalled Weezy on it as I thought it may be a bad install or an old version as suggested in a google search.

I am not sure of the brand of USB/SD card adapter as it is one that I have had for a number of years and the case broke so it is pretty much a bare PCB.

I didnt follow an guides when installing the OS to the memory card as I just did it the same way as I did when I made an Ubuntu Live USB key.

Formatted it on my mac with Disk utility as a single MSDOS (FAT) partition then run

"sudo dd if=2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.img of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1024k".

About 15 mins later I got a confirmation that it was completed and the LED on the card reader stopped flashing.

Code: Select all

1850+0 records in
1850+0 records out
1939865600 bytes transferred in 773.186189 secs (2508924 bytes/sec)
[\code]

And this is a directory listing of the SD card

[code]
localhost:Untitled mattwarrillow$ ls -la
total 38000
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 mattwarrillow  staff    16384 31 Dec  1979 .
drwxrwxrwt@ 5 root           admin      170  1 Jun 20:52 ..
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 mattwarrillow  staff     8192  1 Jun 20:52 .Trashes
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff     4096  1 Jun 20:52 ._.Trashes
drwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff     8192  1 Jun 20:52 .fseventsd
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff    17764  8 Feb 23:21 bootcode.bin
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff      142  9 Feb 00:27 cmdline.txt
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff     1180  9 Feb 00:27 config.txt
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff     5898  8 Feb 23:21 fixup.dat
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff     2260  8 Feb 23:21 fixup_cd.dat
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff     8687  8 Feb 23:21 fixup_x.dat
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff      137  9 Feb 02:42 issue.txt
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff  2802568  8 Feb 23:21 kernel.img
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff  9609792  8 Feb 23:21 kernel_emergency.img
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff  2694676  8 Feb 23:21 start.elf
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff   569240  8 Feb 23:21 start_cd.elf
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mattwarrillow  staff  3631684  8 Feb 23:21 start_x.elf
localhost:Untitled mattwarrillow$

dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *7.9 GB     disk1
   1:             Windows_FAT_32                         58.7 MB    disk1s1
   2:                      Linux                         1.9 GB     disk1s2
I have heard that the hidden files that OSX created on the root of the drive may cause problems with the PI so I tried deleting the .Trashes, ._.Trashes and .fseventsd files from the disk but I stil get the same problem.

The green ACT LED seems to be faintly glowing but I cannot tell if it is the reflection from the power light, you can just about make it out in the pictures I posted.

I did manage to borrow a USB charger that is for a Samsung tablet that charger is rated 5V @2A so should be plenty of power for the PI hopefully.

I even tried my no name "Optima" SD card with no luck.

Once again thanks for all of your input and Trevor that site you linked to showing the voltage drop of certain PSUs under load is quite insightful and now I can understand why my iPhone charger wont work with the PI.

Still cannot figure out why I cannot get the PI to boot with the console cable unless it is to do with trying to power it from my laptop as I believe USB spec states 500mA max draw from a USB port on a computer

EDIT: I think the card is partitioned correctly

drgeoff

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm not a Mac user but the output from your 'ls' command looks very similar to what I see for a RPi SD card when examined in a Linux computer. (Except for those spurious 'trashes' etc.)

Have a good look at the SD card socket on the RPi. Do all the fingers look as if they are protruding enough to make contact with the card contacts. Try booting while you press the card towards the PCB. And are you definitely inserting the card far enough that the 'card inserted' switch is closing?

warrmr

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Yes it looks like the card inserted switch is closing and you cannot physically insert the card any further. The pins all appear o be up and making contact from what I can tell.

I have just tried re-writing the SD card with a 4mb block size rather than 1mb and that didnt seem to make any difference. I am downloading the Occidentalis V2.0 from Adafruit to see if that version of the OS will boot.

Im using the Samsung charger for the moment the one rated at 5V @2A but I have to give that back to my Gran tomorrow.

warrmr

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi again guys,

I have tested the voltage between TP1 and TP2 and that is reading 5.0v with the apple charger. I checked the Polyfuse as per the wiki article and it is reading 5.03V the bottom side (closest to board edge) and 5v dead on the other side of the fuse. So this is giving a 0.3v drop across the fuse as advised in the wiki article.

When I picked up the multimeter I also got a PSU which I have also tried with the PI today and am still getting the same issue.

Link to power supply I picked up today.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/micro-usb-power-supply-393067

The only thing I have left to try is using a different SD card reader to write the OS to the card.

warrmr

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Ok I have tried 3 different SD cards now and 2 different card readers to write those cards with. I have also re-downloaded wheezy from the downloads frontpage and have tried that one.

I am still getting the same problems as before, just a red light with a dim green light for act.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:30 pm

warrmr wrote:Ok I have tried 3 different SD cards now and 2 different card readers to write those cards with. I have also re-downloaded wheezy from the downloads frontpage and have tried that one.

I am still getting the same problems as before, just a red light with a dim green light for act.
Your measurements suggest that the PSU is (now) "in spec." Are the card readers marked SDHC compatible (the Pi uses the later SDHC "technology" which older, SD card writers may not write to correctly - I write my cards via an "integral SDHC" USB dongle, rather than use my netbook's built-in SD slot). Have you looked at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... on_display ? Did you unzip the downloaded file before writing to the card (it's been known for that step to be missed)? Finally a new "Wheezy Raspbian" image is available (I tried it last night).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

warrmr

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:50 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
warrmr wrote:Ok I have tried 3 different SD cards now and 2 different card readers to write those cards with. I have also re-downloaded wheezy from the downloads frontpage and have tried that one.

Your measurements suggest that the PSU is (now) "in spec." Are the card readers marked SDHC compatible (the Pi uses the later SDHC "technology" which older, SD card writers may not write to correctly - I write my cards via an "integral SDHC" USB dongle, rather than use my netbook's built-in SD slot). Have you looked at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... on_display ? Did you unzip the downloaded file before writing to the card (it's been known for that step to be missed)? Finally a new "Wheezy Raspbian" image is available (I tried it last night).
Trev.
Hi,

The first card reader I was using is a generic un branded multi card reader, I dug out my other reader which is a Sandisk micromate SD/SDHC reader and I have been using that.

yes I unzipped the file then wrote the image with dd, I have also booted into win 7 and used the windisk imager program linked on the wiki.

EDIT: this is my sd card install procedure.

Code: Select all

localhost:~ mattwarrillow$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            289.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                30.2 GB    disk0s4
/dev/disk1
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *7.7 GB     disk1
   1:                 DOS_FAT_32 UNTITLED                7.7 GB     disk1s1
localhost:~ mattwarrillow$ diskutil unmountdisk disk1
Unmount of all volumes on disk1 was successful
localhost:~ mattwarrillow$ cd ~/Downloads/
localhost:Downloads mattwarrillow$ sudo dd if=2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian.img of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m
Password:
1850+0 records in
1850+0 records out
1939865600 bytes transferred in 844.030866 secs (2298335 bytes/sec)
localhost:Downloads mattwarrillow$ cd /Volumes/boot/
localhost:boot mattwarrillow$ rm -rf .Trashes/
localhost:boot mattwarrillow$ rm -rf ._.Trashes
localhost:boot mattwarrillow$ rm -rf .fseventsd/
localhost:boot mattwarrillow$ cd ~
localhost:~ mattwarrillow$ diskutil eject disk1
Disk disk1 ejected
localhost:~ mattwarrillow$

solar3000

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:41 am

warrmr wrote:Howdy Guys,

Whoa! What a beauty! I have one just like it!

Have you thought of the possibility of a manufacture defect?
Do you have another Pi or do you know anyone who has a Pi?
Antikythera

rpdom

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:22 am

warrmr wrote:Yes it looks like the card inserted switch is closing and you cannot physically insert the card any further. The pins all appear to be up and making contact from what I can tell.
Did you try holding the card against the contacts with a finger and thumb on top and bottom of the board, then powering on?

Those card holders can have problems. I had to carefully raise the connectors on mine slightly after a few months after it began to fail to boot.

[edit] The connectors all looked like they were raised enough, but it wouldn't boot unless I pressed the card against them

warrmr

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 am

@solar3000,
I have it could be a defect, so I have emailed the guys at ModMyPi to see if it is defective and if they will accept a return. I was hoping that there would be a quick fix to save me posting it back and waiting for a new one to arrive.

@RPDom
I have tried gently holding the card in place and have also tried the trick mentioned on the Wiki where you clean the pins on the SD reader but that doesn't seem to have made much difference apart from the card is a little bit more of a tighter fit.

RaTTuS

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:21 am

What display are you using?
HDMI ?
url us

is the display plugged in before you start ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

toadslinger

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 am

Is there a log file written to the SD during your bootup and have you tried to find it?

If you find such a logfile, you might find a clue.

warrmr

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:19 pm

Evening,

This has now been resolved, it turns out the board was a DOA. I took it into work today and spoke to one of the guys in the workshop and he put my SD card in his Pi and it booted fine but when he used his PSU and SD card in my Pi i got the same error message so I have raised an RMA with ModMyPi for a replacement.

Thanks everyone for their input and assistance.

Return to “Troubleshooting”